Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kenne bell boost a pump/boost a spark

kenne bell boost a pump/boost a spark

ive seen these used with great success on other cars. i know ill be going with a boost a pump, i read a little about the boost a spark, im wondering if anyones using it with our wacky dis system and if so have there been any problems
    here's some info on the boost a pump in case anyone is curious

• Doesn't heat up fuel like larger inline or intank pumps.
    • No octane loss (gas will begin to boil at 95 degrees).
    • Used with all Kenne Bell Supercharger Kits.
    • Increases existing fuel pump capacity up to 50%.
    • Easily installed. Uses stock wiring. No fuel line modifications.
    • Adjustable from 1% to 50% - ON DEMAND from driver's seat.
    • Variable Output Cockpit Controller mounts under dash.
    • No batteries to run down, replace or let you down.
    • Eliminates expensive and time consuming fuel tank removal.
    • Works with any pump full or part-time.
    • Activation vacuum or pressure switch included in kit.
    • Compensates for reduced voltage (lower pump output) when lights or other accessories are on.
    • Maintains consistent pump output regardless of battery
    voltage (down to 10 volts).
    • Optimizes Air/Fuel Ratio and horsepower by matching
    the engine fuel requirements.
    • Quiet operation. Not NOISY like in line pumps.
    • Improves gas mileage if vehicle now running on high idle fuel
    pressure.
    • Maintains stock fuel pressure at idle and part throttle.
    • Controls WOT fuel pressure with return line shut off valves
    (FMU,FSB).
    • Maintains constant output voltage to pump within 1% from
    10 to 12.5 battery voltage.
    • Doesn't affect pump life.
    • Ideal for any Nitrous System.
    • Anodized red aluminum.
    • Fused circuit protection.
    • Works on any car, truck, or boat with 12V electric fuel pump.
    • Compact size, lightweight (less than 2 lbs.).
    • Guaranteed.

heres the boost a spark

• Adjustable from 0-50% (13.5 - 20 volts).
    • Increases spark energy - ALL 12 VOLT IGNITION SYSTEMS. Highest voltage of any ignition system concept.
    • New Kenne Bell "Long Spark" Technology increases AND regulates voltage. NOT a CD with an inherently "short spark."
    • More energy than CD systems. Over 2 amps at the plug (10 times more than OEM and 4 times more than other aftermarket ignition systems).
    • Eliminates engine misfire under boost or high load.
    • Ideal for supercharged, turbocharged and nitrous applications.
    • Will fire spark plugs with up to .100" gap and 30 psi boost. 2500 microseconds vs. 200 for CD's.
    • Regulates ignition voltage within .1 volt, regardless of battery voltage.
    • Allows wider plug gaps for MORE POWER. Other ignition systems must run closer plug gaps.
    • Automatically adjusts spark energy to meet engine requirements i.e. rich, lean, supercharged, high compression etc.
    •Two (2) models. Supercharged / Turbocharged or Normally Aspirated. Pressure or vacuum switch included.
    • Attractive red anodized extruded aluminum weatherproof case.
    • Developed on the Kenne Bell Dyno.
    • Easy to install. Just connect to primary coil wire.

Forget the rhetoric and magazine ads and let's tell it like it really is. Never buy an ignition system for your late model "coil" vehicle because you think it will make more HP, help start ups, increase throttle response or improve fuel economy. It will not. You add an ignition system to guarantee it wll fire at higher rpm or boost levels. The Cobra's ignition (see below) was not igniting all the fuel mixture at 8 psi above 2500 rpm. We activated the BOOST-A-SPARK™ at 3 psi and made 50HP.
    Last edited by 22lbsofboost; 02-15-2007 at 09:18 AM.

I have the KB boost-a-pump on my 91, but I only use it with the nitrous. Rest of the time it's set to 0% increase. So far, the stock ignition seems to be doing fine.

David
    91 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple........10.92 @ 126.70
    93 SC AOD 347 Turbo.................10.04 @ 138.99
    My Garage

I had a boost a spark in my stang with a kenne bell kit..Dont know if it made a difference or not but i didnt get any high boost rpm misses
    What do Turbo Supercoupes and a certain someone have in common. They both go "BOOM!"
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v...vehicle&id=110
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardoa1 View Post
    I love the filter. Its pimp. paper element and 10Mircron filtration, 12" long cause size matters.

Stuff was junk back when Barry Grant stoped making it because of all the problems it caused. Its just like meth injection. Works, sometimes, but when it fails (and it will) the mess it is going to make of your wallet outweighs doing it right instead of the fad patch. Anyone remember Mafterburners? When they came out they were the cat's meow, now people look down on them as garbage. Meth injection was out in the 70's, got a bad name then went away. Now its back and the best thing ever. Boost a pump ... its had it chance, failed and its back again.

Those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it.

i belieive that water injection lost steam (no pun intended) because of the FI revolution. it was used on carb'd cars during the smog era because we had NO high octane gas. it did what it had when it had to, and when we got good fuel back and fuel injection took over, we just didnt need it any more.rarely did they use methanol. it was water. i can post several ads and how-to's of 70's vintage to prove this

i have over 500 hot rod and car craft magazines from the 60's and 70's and have never seen mafterburners. have no idea what this is

the boost a pump is not new. ive seen these used on cars for a while. and ac cording to all the research, its actually better for your fuel, your pump, and your car than using a larger pump which can heat your fuel up, causing octane loss.

if you have some PROOF that this product sucks please share. i cant find any.
    Last edited by 22lbsofboost; 02-16-2007 at 08:24 AM.

Old aluminum block buicks I believe they were back in the 60's ran alcohol injection from the factory. Its a great idea that failed due to failures...Failures = blown up motors.

The technology is definitely here today to make these ideas work however the question comes to mind how good is the quality of these parts. Failures can =costly problems.

Redundant safety precautions are key. Kind of like a low fuel pressure cutoff for a nitrous setup...

Eventually technology fixes these issues but there are always many guini pigs on the way.

As far as the boost a pump is concerned what isnt such a great idea is taking that stock pump and straining it.....I'd much rather have a larger pumpthat I can step down..Thats what I did with my turbo car using an Aeromotive pump and controller http://www.aeromotiveinc.com/pdetail.php?prod=31

I do it for pump life however
    What do Turbo Supercoupes and a certain someone have in common. They both go "BOOM!"
    I love the filter. Its pimp. paper element and 10Mircron filtration, 12" long cause size matters.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonSlowpokeBaumann View Post
    Old aluminum block buicks I believe they were back in the 60's ran alcohol injection from the factory. Its a great idea that failed due to failures...Failures = blown up motors.

The technology is definitely here today to make these ideas work however the question comes to mind how good is the quality of these parts. Failures can =costly problems.

Redundant safety precautions are key. Kind of like a low fuel pressure cutoff for a nitrous setup...

Eventually technology fixes these issues but there are always many guini pigs on the way.

As far as the boost a pump is concerned what isnt such a great idea is taking that stock pump and straining it.....I'd much rather have a larger pumpthat I can step down..Thats what I did with my turbo car using an Aeromotive pump and controller http://www.aeromotiveinc.com/pdetail.php?prod=31

I do it for pump life however
    Since I only use mine for about one minute a year...I doubt it will reduce the pump life very much.

David
    91 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple........10.92 @ 126.70
    93 SC AOD 347 Turbo.................10.04 @ 138.99
    My Garage

ok, so kenne bell just out and lies about his boost a pump? its clearly stated
    Doesn't heat up fuel like larger inline or intank pumps.
    • No octane loss (gas will begin to boil at 95 degrees).
    Doesn't affect pump life.

so these a lies and kenne bell is a false advertiser?

Kenne Bell is a promotor and a sales person first, blower kit producer second. Take what he says for what it's worth.

But, with that out of the way it is always better to spend huge sums of money on all the "best parts" and then let them sit in your driveway for years on end rather than drive them. Yes, I went there.

As often as the pump would be under the strain of increased voltage is minimal over the life of the car, BUT if you plan to use it a lot then most likely a better pump would be the best choice. For us running the 255lph FI pump with relayed full battery power instead of the crappy stock wiring is probably the best way to go up to 450rwhp. Beyond that you'll have to decide what you want to do.

I can't see any drawback to the boost-a-spark other than it may be hard on the coil pack and plug wires. It certainly can't blow up your motor if it fails and I can't see it being any worse than an MSD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

Kenne Bell is correct. If you use smaller pump there will be less heat. Large pump equals large return to tank when not needed which equals heated fuel to an extent. You can go larg epump as I did with a controller to reduce speed when not needed or go smaller and increase speed when not needed. Nothing he said is incorrect its just a matter of how much will you need it and how does it strain your pump on a regular basis..And if the unit fails you can have issues if tuned with it

boost a spark

I was having tremendous spark blowout problmes with my aed. I added the boost a spark and it solved the blow out problems. I have mine set to activat under boost only. It is set for a 20 percent increase. I run my spark gaps at .040. The main way the boost a spark works is in not really from raising voltage to the coils. It is because the higher voltage allows the the coils to charge quicker and fully to deliver full voltage to the plugs.

thanks for the info guys

Quote Originally Posted by blown96bird View Post
    I was having tremendous spark blowout problmes with my aed. I added the boost a spark and it solved the blow out problems. I have mine set to activat under boost only. It is set for a 20 percent increase. I run my spark gaps at .040. The main way the boost a spark works is in not really from raising voltage to the coils. It is because the higher voltage allows the the coils to charge quicker and fully to deliver full voltage to the plugs.
    You forgot to mention what happens when you drive coils harder.

If you drive the coils harder they get hotter. The good thing about boost a spark is that it has a hobbs swich which only turns on at 3 pounds of boost which turns on the boost a spark uping the voltage to the coils. How long do you really stay into the boost for? I bet it is less than 30 seconds most of the time.

BTW...My cougar is sitting and has a junk stock block :O)