New SC Owner :)

Blown 91 Bird

Just got a 91 Supercoupe. Silverish Blue Auto..Black Leather Interior, All Options.. etc., for $450. The only problem is it broke 1 Rod into 3 pieces, and threw another rod out of the bottom of the oil pan and destroyed it. Luckily I was able to get a long block (w/o blower) from a 90SC Auto for free :) What I do need help with would be What brand/Part #'s and what the price should be for.....

Main Bearings
Rod Bearings
A Full Gasket Set
New Rings
Oil Pump
And a Timing Chain

I will also be building another motor while driving it around, that I wont disclose what Im doing, but it will be quite nasty :D

I can post some OE Ford part numbers for you, just tell me if you're going standard size on the crank, or having it machined undersize, and also what overbore if any you're doing on the cylinders.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Thanks Man. I got them today so I wont be needed the part numbers.

Maybe you will know...what is the biggest overbore i can go with? From looking at the block, it looks like a .020 is about the safest you can go with. Also, where can I get stroker kits? Thanks for your help.. I will post pics of the car and what the motor looked like. It detonated hard and destroyed Cyl 1 Piston, Broke the Rod in 3 pieces, and also broke Cyl # 4 i believe Piston as well.

BTW...I notice you have a 68 Cougar... I also have a 69 Cougar that im making look like an Eliminator.. has a 11.5:1 compression 351 Windsor with a bit of work done to it :)

Ford actually lists oversize pistons right up to .040" ... although I don't think I'd want to try that, maybe .030" tops. Try posting on the tech board to get Fred H.'s attention, he's working on a 4.3L for his SC. Morana Racing in Toronto is doing that as well, here's a link to their site :

http://www.moranav6racing.com

Your Cougar should be pretty neat ... I'm thinking about doing a 351W stroker buildup for mine if I'm going to keep it long-term ... a buddy of mine has a 69 351W I can use as a starting point. I've done a 427 GT-E hood scoop on mine with a 68-1/2 428 style stripe up the hood in black ... breaks up the slime frost green paint a bit :D

cheers
Ed N.

You should look at buying some better gaskets and fastners when doing a rebuild.

Fel-Pro head gaskets would be a start, and ARP head studs and main studs at a minimum. Also, if you are buying an oil pump, buy one listed for a 94-95 model year SC, they were slightly better by volume. If you are doing a timing chain, you should also replace the cam and crank gears, as well as the tensioner. They are relatively inexpensive, which Ed can confirm. I bought all my stuff from him!:)

Back