1995 5-Speed

txsc

Well, I've decided to start looking for a 95 5-speed car to go with my 89 5-speed. I'm in no hurry because I'm going to be very picky. Here's what I want:

1995 SC 5-speed
Prefer white or red; other colors considered
Cloth or leather interior; no color preference

Here's where it gets tough...

Less than 50K original miles, prefere less than 30K
Strongly prefer original owner car
No repaints; no panel replacements
No fade/dents/scratches/touch-ups
No interior repairs/modifications
Original engine, transmission, differential
No modifications of any kind, no matter how small
No spoilers or other "enhancements", even if dealer installed
No aftermarket stereos/speakers
Strongly prefer all paperwork; window sticker/original bill of sale/service records/factory shipping documents
Strongly prefer original belts/hoses/tires
Open on options; as many as possible

I expect the car to appear as new outside, inside, under the hood, in the trunk,underneath. Dirt okay; just no damage/modifications/major repairs.

This car will be parked next to my 89 and covered up. It will be rarely driven. It will be corrected/serviced with NOS parts only.

Yes, I know. Long shot / never find it / doesn't exist / etc. etc. I heard that before I found my '89, too. Believe me, this isn't the only (or primary) place I'm looking to find this car. But, I'd be remiss to not at least post here too.

However, I have two things on my side; time & money. I don't care if it takes me a year or two to find the right car, and I'm willing to pay for it when it comes along.

Let the clever / snide / discouraging replys begin... : )

I think you will find one given the time commitment,though the 5 speed will make it tougher. I picked up a 95 auto with 58k miles 99,000kms recently in the local paper so they are out there.
John

I think you will find one given the time commitment,though the 5 speed will make it tougher. I picked up a 95 auto with 58k miles 99,000kms recently in the local paper so they are out there.
John

Like I said, I've got nothing but time, and I'm willing to fly anywhere in the U.S. for the right car. Sounds like YOU found a good one. And, you're right, automatics are almost 10 times more common than 5-speeds; that's one big reason why I want one. I'm banking on the fact that there are still some floating around that are unknown. Somewhere out there is one in a little old lady's garage that has been sitting there since her husband passed away...

Thanks,

JD

Last edited:
this will be good.....im looking for the same.

Yeah, saw your post down in Gulf Coast. Sounds like you're a little more open than I am (trans, mileage, modifications). If I run across any that I take a pass on, I'll give you a heads-up. Are you interested only in TX cars (driving distance)?

JD

Yeah, saw your post down in Gulf Coast. Sounds like you're a little more open than I am (trans, mileage, modifications). If I run across any that I take a pass on, I'll give you a heads-up. Are you interested only in TX cars (driving distance)?

JD

yes my preferences are somewhat less then yours, though im strickly looking for manual now, but like you time is not an issue. Im open to anywhere in the US. and also seach many different ways other then here. I have came across many but like most they have been around the block more then i prefer.

Considering I have seen a handful of 35th Edition SC's with less then 10K miles sell over the past 3-4 years, I'm sure this car exists. Just have to be patient. Friend of mine here in Omaha picked up a mint all stock 1994 SC with ~30K miles a couple years back, so they are out there.

Thomas

...they are out there.

Thomas

I've been chasing muscle cars for a few years, and compared to some of those, the 95 5-speed SC isn't very rare by comparison. And, it's amazing what keeps turning up after 30+ years in the muscle car world. I'm confident that I'll find just the right car; just not tomorrow. Usually, they come along when you're not even looking...

JD

im looking for an 89-95 5 speed sc in tx, but for the right car i would travel...seems like a lot of people here are in tx looking for sc....

im looking for an 89-95 5 speed sc in tx, but for the right car i would travel...seems like a lot of people here are in tx looking for sc....

There aren't many decent ones in this area for some reason. I think most were sold in the north and east. I had to fly to Milwaukee and Detroit for two of the three I have. I expect to have to fly to get my 95 also.

JD

i was afraid i might have to fly to look at one, but i am a bit new to this if you fly to look at a car; do you drive the car back? or is it possible to have the car shipped? I did have a plain 90 thunderbird that i loved, and ive driven a few sc's...and now i would like to get one to fix up...also the flying seems like it could get expensive ( not that i am wanting to do this cheap) how do you determine if the car is worth flying to see? Ive looked at a few sc's around texas, and they werent really what i wanted, but there was no way to tell from the description given by the seller.

Close to what you want

Close but; mine is an auto Blue on Blue leather "employee" build unit. I am 2nd owner.
Minor mods only all of which could be reverted to stock with the original parts - I'm a packrat!
Located in Toronto, currently stored for the winter.
I have been VERY close to converting to a 5SPd, have most of the CORRECT parts, but would prefer to own a NON airbag car Red on Black 5Spd.
If anyone is interested send email or PM and we can discuss.
Pete

crippledlemming: If you're in Texas, and you're looking for a super-nice SC, chances are you're going to have to fly to get one. The other option for regional cars is to trailer out and pick it up. That's what I did with my XR7. It was in San Angelo, TX; about 4-5 hrs. away from S.A.

With my two SC's I flew to where the cars were located, and drove them home. It's possible to ship, and many do, but there are costs that can easily exceed air fare and drive-it-home costs, plus the risk that the carrier will damage the car in transit. For my money, not worth the risk.

I too bought a 90 LX new, and kept it for 11 years. It was a super nice and reliable car. We always wanted an SC, but they were just too expensive for us at the time. It was hard to test drive the SC's, then settle for an LX! But it was a good car that we were very happy with; got 175K trouble-free miles out of it.

My advise is don't buy an SC "to fix up". Spend the money up front and buy as good a car as you can get. You'll save big money in the long run, encounter much less frustration, and be able to enjoy the car right from the start. If these cars are beaten, worn out, or negleted, they can be an exercise in frustration (and spending money). But, a well cared for, low mileage SC (or XR7) is rock-solid dependable, and a joy to own. I bought my white 89 with barely 40K miles, my titanium SC with 83K miles (it was destined to be a driver), and the XR7 only 30K miles. These cars don't leave me stranded, and I wouldn't be afraid to start any of them up and drive to the east cost tonight with nothing more than an air pressure and oil level check.

Ultimately, the comfort level to buy a plane ticket is a personal thing. In the case of my white car, it was a one-lady-owner car who actually contacted me. She wasn't in a hurry to sell (the car had been in storage for the last 5 years), and was very forthcoming with details, photos, etc. Still, it took me 6 weeks from initial contact with her, to actually making the trip. Basically, I asked very specific questions about known problem areas for SC's, and cars in general. Over the course of several phone calls, I asked the same question in different ways to double-check the responses. Not that I thought she was being deceptive, but sometimes an owner is "too close" to the car, and overlooks flaws that would be obvious to another viewer. The result of all this Q&A; I found out the car had an impeccable service record, never been damaged, but needed a battery, tires, and starter relay. I determined that the upholstery (including bolsters) were in new condition, the ABS was flawless, clutch and trans were perfect, paint was perfect clear down to the pinch-welds, glass was flawless, etc. We came to an agreement on price, and that she would take care of the battery and relay, and I would take care of tires. We developed almost a friendship during this time; at least a cordial working relationship. She was concerned that "her" car was going to the right home; I was concerned about getting essentially an "NOS" car.

She picked me up at the airport in Detroit, and we drove to the car. The result? It was better than she described in every respect. Even after 6 weeks of work, I was still relieved! She had all the original paperwork prepared, the car was serviced, and ready to go. After a stop for tires, I was on my way to San Antonio in a "new" SC. We still occasionally talk on the phone to this day.

Bottom Line:

- Do LOTS of research. SCCoA is THE BEST place to learn. There are no stupid questions. Read through several threads to get a feel for the cars and their potential problems. Learn the production numbers, and what was original (or available) on which models, etc.
- Buy a clean, one-owner, low-mileage car. Leave the junkers and projects alone.
- Don't be in a hurry. Let me put this another way; don't be in a hurry. If the seller is pushing, run, don't walk away. If you buy one of these cars in a rush, there's a small chance you'll get a good one. There's a LARGE chance you'll get burned.
- Ask lots of questions over the course of time. Pose questions differently at different times. Keep notes; check your notes. Get into specifics. Don't accept "the car is mint" as a description. Ask questions like "are there any loose threads on the shifter boot", not "how's the interior". This will require more work on your part to work up a list of questions, but it WILL pay off.
- Get lots and lots of photos. Don't accept 6-8 fuzzy whole-car shots. Get 2-3 shots of that shifter boot (or whatever) to satisfy yourself that it's as-advertised. This will lead to a detailed set of photographs of many details of the car.
- Ask for scans of service documents if you aren't comfortable with any claims. Paperwork is important.
- Don't necessarily let disclosed defects spoil the deal. Just work through them with the seller to negotiate who will take care of what.
- Just my personal preference; Don't talk about money until you've qualified the car as acceptable. Basically, I know I'm buying a top-5% car, and expect to pay accordingly; I don't expect to "steal" a nice car. Be prepared to pay market, but make the seller be realistic. After all the research, above, the seller will know you're knowledgeable, and not a tire-kicker or rube.
- If, after you get there, the car isn't what you expected despite all the above homework, don't be afraid to walk away. And, let the seller know (polietly), that you'll do just that. Although painful, it's still better than buying something you don't want out of desparation. You can't send the repair bills to the former owner.

Just take your time, and use common sense. These cars ARE NOT so rare that you can't find several acceptable cars to choose from. Be picky. Get the color and options you want. After the dust settles and you get it home, you have to look at it every day. Be sure you like it.

Good Luck,

JD

Last edited:
Close but; mine is an auto Blue on Blue leather "employee" build unit. I am 2nd owner.
Minor mods only all of which could be reverted to stock with the original parts - I'm a packrat!
I have been VERY close to converting to a 5SPd, have most of the CORRECT parts, but would prefer to own a NON airbag car Red on Black 5Spd.
Pete

Thanks, but I'm holding out for a 5-speed. Sounds like a nice one though.

JD

Pete

you have a PM!

Back