New paint job...finally finished!

Kit Sullivan

OK, my '35th Anniversary' finally came home from the paint shop on Saturday. I spent the day on Sunday putting all the glass, moldings, stripes, emblems and the whole interior back together. (boy, does my back hurt!)

All I need now is to get my 35th wheels refinised(black, of course) and some new tires and I think it is complete enough to show.
Eventually I will redo the seats, but they will do for now.

The rear spoiler was a supreme PITA, and it is still not perfect but I like the looks of it.
After washing it at home, I noticed a couple of flaws and some minor burn marks along the edges of the hood...but they gave me such a smokin' great deal I will probably not do any complaining. Maybe.

Attachments

• T-Bird washed and new paint 004.jpg
    T-Bird washed and new paint 004.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 203
  • T-Bird washed and new paint 006.jpg
    T-Bird washed and new paint 006.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 198
  • T-Bird washed and new paint 007.jpg
    T-Bird washed and new paint 007.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 195
  • T-Bird washed and new paint 011.jpg
    T-Bird washed and new paint 011.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 229
OK, my '35th Anniversary' finally came home from the paint shop on Saturday. I spent the day on Sunday putting all the glass, moldings, stripes, emblems and the whole interior back together. (boy, does my back hurt!)

All I need now is to get my 35th wheels refinised(black, of course) and some new tires and I think it is complete enough to show.
Eventually I will redo the seats, but they will do for now.

The rear spoiler was a supreme PITA, and it is still not perfect but I like the looks of it.
After washing it at home, I noticed a couple of flaws and some minor burn marks along the edges of the hood...but they gave me such a smokin' great deal I will probably not do any complaining. Maybe.

What did it cost you for the paint job. I assume since you are putting trhe interior and all back in the jams were painted also.

I had an isurance check for $1200 for a bashed-in 1/4 panel, and the extra money I came up with $1088.
For all the work that was done, I think that was a smokin' great deal! I ain't complaining.

I am not a HUGE fan of the 35ths (I dont know why) but that looks really good. What is that spoiler from?

Chris

The spoiler was a dealer-installed option when the original owner bought the car. He was charged $445 for it on his original sales reciept for the car. I got ALL the paperwork when I bought the car last year.
The company that made the spoiler is now long defunct, and I am not aware of anyone who makes a similar piece for the T-Birds.

They came from a place called "A&A Specialties" in Ontario, California. I tried to call them, but the number is disconnected and there is no new forwarding number.

This spoiler is made from eurathane and as such is kinda' difficult to work with...apparently. The body shop painted and installed it once and had to remove and do it all over becuse it ended up with little cracks in the paint.
I installed it myself the second time and it was fine once it was installed. Now there are some hair-line cracks in it.
If it gets worse, I will remove it again and pay someone to re-make the thing in fiberglass...the way it should have been made in the first place.

Anyway, I like the way it it compliments the front-heavy look of the ground effects. Without something on the top of the runk lid it looks 'unbalanced' to me.
But I am not a fan of ANY wing-type spoiler I have seen on these cars...not even the 'official' ones installed on later years by Ford. I think they don't really contribute to the overall sublety that the Super Coupe was going for.

The similarity to the spoiler put on some sporty-looking Lumina sedans is a little disturbing to me, but those were one-piece spoilers and did not wrap onto the 1/4 panels as this one does.
Strangely, this one has the two side pieces cut into the thing at an odd place on the 1/4 panel...not at the trunk lid edge like you would think it would be. When the trunk lid is open, a good 6-8" piece of the spoiler sticks off the suide of the trunk lid. I'm thinking it would probably have looked better had the cut been at the trunk-lid edge, but what do I know?

I am not a big spoiler fan unless it is one of the functional pieces that are added for actual stability. That one on the other hand does look good on the car. It is really subtle and makes a good accent. I thought it was a Lumina spoiler at first too, but then looked at the seperation marks on the side. Looks good all over though.

Chris

Like Chris I'm not a fan of the 35th but that is a beautiful example of one. Now pay 15 bucks and post a picture of it on your member page and I'm sure it will get picked as the SC of the month

Ken

so how much did it cost....paint job i mean ?

1200 ? 1088 ? or 2288 ??

either way sounds like a real good deal for that good a job.

so how much did it cost....paint job i mean ?

1200 ? 1088 ? or 2288 ??

either way sounds like a real good deal for that good a job.

$2288, but that includes a little paint work on some other various pieces from another vehicle too.So I figure about $2000 overall, including the repair to the 1/4 panel.

Yeah, I really got a great deal. Its a new shop and they are looking for some good word-of-mouth advertising. I'm taking my Lincoln there next week!

Very few paint jobs turn out perfect, unless you spend 10-12K and even then, you will probably have to take it back for the odd fix. After I had mine done, most of which we did ourselves, it being a black car, it took me a month or so to find all the niggly little runs/fish eyes etc. Just be careful if you want to use a buffer on it. These new clears are very soft, and will easily burn thru (trust me!!!!!!!!)
Looks nice, though. Have fun.

!

Kit,

Turned out incredibly well. It'll look good sitting next to your other classics. You went about this one the right way. It's a pain to pull them apart that far, but it's the only way to get it right. Congratulations. Now the next hill to climb is the wheel restoration, right? I'll keep my eyes open for wheels here. For now, the silver ones look pretty good.

JD

Yeah, I really got a great deal. Its a new shop and they are looking for some good word-of-mouth advertising. I'm taking my Lincoln there next week!

Looks great Kit. I have a 35th thats needs painting too.

Whats the name of the shop?.......are they in Kissimmee?

Looks great Kit. I have a 35th thats needs painting too.

Whats the name of the shop?.......are they in Kissimmee?

Yeah, they are in Kissimmee, and the name of the place is:

Super Service Auto Body
(407) 483-9095

If you call there ask for Chris, he's the G.M. I can't promise anything about the price, but I know they are very hungry to acquire all the new work they can right now and chances are good you'll get a great deal. Since they just did my car, I'm sure they would get another one cranked out quick since they are familair with all the little 'tricks' on the MN-12.
If you call 'em, be sure and tell 'em I sent you so you get the best chance they give you a preferred price.

Kit,

Turned out incredibly well. It'll look good sitting next to your other classics. You went about this one the right way. It's a pain to pull them apart that far, but it's the only way to get it right. Congratulations. Now the next hill to climb is the wheel restoration, right? I'll keep my eyes open for wheels here. For now, the silver ones look pretty good.

JD
I already have a correct set of the black wheels and caps in good physical condition, but the paint is shot. When they are done, I will put some new running shoes on them and mount 'em up.

Back