Anyone re-drilled rims? Ie. 4 1/2 rim gets a 4 1/4 pattern.

B

BlackAnSC

Anyone re-drilled rims? Ie. 4 1/2 rim gets a 4 1/4 pattern.

Is it possible? and what is required. Id like to do it to a set of mustang rims I have if i Can.

Re: Anyone re-drilled rims? Ie. 4 1/2 rim gets a 4 1/4 patt

Tony,

I had a conversation recently with Bill McNeil, and he told me of an outfit in Toronto Ontario who said they could redrill rims with the 5x4.5" bolt pattern to have the 5x4.25" bolt pattern. I'm not sure what they do exactly, in so far as whether or not they actually weld material back into the bolt hole towards the outside to fill the 1/8" of radius, or what, but you may want to drop a note to Bill to see if he can get you the contact information.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

what kind of Mustang rims?

Those 17" 5-Spoke ones that came on GT's.

Cee Gees had a set sitting on the floor, did you buy those?, if you/they are selling some, how much if your conversion doesnt work out, and with rubber or without? :D

hmm

i would also be interested in getting some rims re-drilled for the T-bird bolt pattern, can sombody post the email of the guy i can contact to do this

thanx
ryan

Re: hmm

It would probably be easier actually just to convert to the mustang bolt pattern, then you have better brake options also.

Given that new Mustang brakes come up to a 1000 dollars, I'd say it's easier to redrill the rims...
Stas.

I dont buy things from Cee Gee's, I trade... and they owe me money!!!!

HAha.. yeah i usually get stuff through them in leui of our services... But yeah, Then I end up trading stuff alot too... Like the LSC rims were traded on 15" LX rims and snow tires, which were traded on a set of 16" Pony's etc....

Anyways, Naw i hadnt officially claimed them, so you can buy them if u like, but Id like to Buy and redrill them if possible.

bad idea!! buy adapters, there not the safest but there better that drilling them out

Adapters? So the wheels stick out another 2" from the body?

Uhh yah... Either convert the bolt pattern or re-drill the rims, DON'T get adapters tony

actually you could adapters that would only be about 3/4". however, i believe with the offset of the mustang wheels, they will stick out a little anyways.

as far as redrilling, you might be able to do it yourself. it would depend on the wheel. if the surface is flat, you could just redrill new holes in between the existing holes. then the rims would have two bolt patterns. however, some wheels you can't do that with, so i would assume they would need to be welded and then drilled.

So its safe to re drill them though right?

Safe....???

I am thinkin' that a majority of the rims out there are drilled for two applications anyway...The manufacturers are saving alot of inventory space doing that I am sure...The question I would have is...Is there enough meat on the wheel for a 5 on 4.5 and a 5 on 4.25...Since I have yet to see one single wheel drilled this way from the manufacturers does not mean that it can't be done safe, nor that it has not been done at all...But it does make me a bit skeptical...Regardless, good luck on it...If it were me I think I would take a MICE and measure an after market wheel that has a dual bolt pattern, and get the distance between the two patterns...How much allowance/metal do they give themselves when they drill them, and I would also make sure it was a wheel for a car closer to our weight specs...Then if you can get close to that same distance between your patterns, that would make me much more comfortable...Just an idea...Once again..Good Luck on it..

Cheers

Re: Safe....???

we have a small machine shop at our tranny shop, but maybe id be best to go find someone who has done this before....

Back