will 96/97 hood fit a 94/95 bumper cover?

ndangrd

i'm planning on doing the 97 headlight conversion on my 95 SC. i realize there will be a gap with the 94/95 hood. so do i just need a 96/97 hood or do i need the 96/97 bumper cover too, to make it look good (factory)? i prefer the looks of the 94/95 bumper cover that's on my SC...

if i only need the hood, what's a good price on one or a nice aftermarket? thanx...

any pics of conversions would be appreciated!!!

It's not a perfect fit with the 96 - 97 hood and 94 - 95 bumper, but it does look fine. I too prefer the look of the earlier bumper, the 96 - 97 grille opening looks a bit gay to me. :p

Here's a (not very good) shot of the front of my car since doing the conversion this year :

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Attachments

• p7010443front.jpg
    p7010443front.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 453
And here's one more from the side :

cheers
Ed N.

Attachments

• p7010429side.jpg
    p7010429side.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 428
wow, looks good to me! that's how my SC should look except i have the clear corners & factory wheels!!! very nice SC Ed!

thanx for the info...where did you get your 96/97 hood?

Thanks for the compliment ... almost everybody at the Carlisle Ford show with a 94 - 95 was coming over to check out the hood and lights on my car. I was thinking about clear corners for myself, but they're bit rice for my taste. ;)

I got the hood new from Ford, even with my discount (I'm a parts guy at a Ford dealer just outside Toronto) all that stuff for the changeover was still expensive. Didn't have much luck trying to locate a used hood around here, and I didn't want an aftermarket cowl scoop hood or something like that ... not sure if they're even available for the 96 - 97 style.

BTW I'll just mention that the inside edge of the newer lights fit VERY tight against the bumper cover grille area, and the shape of the front edge of the hood where it meets up with the bumper cover is a slightly different shape as well, but not enough to be an eyesore. I had the lights on with the old hood at first, from 20 feet away it looked fine, but the closer you got, the worse the gap looked !! :(

cheers
Ed N.

Last edited:
i installed the lights tonight. you're right, they do fit very tight with the bumper cover & to me the gap is very noticeable...but I CAN SEE! i just went & adjusted the headlights & they are brighter than the old style so they are worth it for that reason.

i can also get a ford discount but i was just wondering roughly how much i'm looking at. i'm not sure about the aftermarket hoods for the 96/97's either.

i bought the clear corners over 2 years ago when they were easy to buy...it looks like no one has them in stock any more, so they're probably worth more now. anyway, i just like not having yellow/orange on my cars. both of my black cars have clear corners & look good without being ricey...the SC looks much newer now too :cool:

Eric, the brightness was one of the reasons I wanted the newer lights on my car. The originals were yellowed and one was filling with condensation, I couldn't see even with PIAA Superwhites in them. The 97 lights are nice and bright now, and they definitely do make the car look like a newer model. Just have to get around to adjusting mine properly, they're still aiming a bit too low, even after my impromptu adjustment at Carlisle with borrowed tools so that I could see to drive home that Sunday night !!

Glad to hear that you got yours installed and are happy with them, certainly a nice change for the 94 - 95 cars.

cheers
Ed N.

great info guys, i've got the 94 sc, was just looking at custom hoods for her when i saw your post, sounds like a great idea since i'm already considering spending the cash for a new hood anyways, and yes, I did run across alot of customs for the 96-97 models, sounds like a great idea once i get things rollin. though i'm surprised since you guys were spending the cash on the new hood, why you didnt just spend a few extra bucks shopping around net for a mint custom, and hell, spend a few more hours and make a suicide forward lift ya know. i'll definately have to look into how much work is involved with that. keep you posted by spring

lostsoul74 said:
great info guys, i've got the 94 sc, was just looking at custom hoods for her when i saw your post, sounds like a great idea since i'm already considering spending the cash for a new hood anyways, and yes, I did run across alot of customs for the 96-97 models, sounds like a great idea once i get things rollin. though i'm surprised since you guys were spending the cash on the new hood, why you didnt just spend a few extra bucks shopping around net for a mint custom, and hell, spend a few more hours and make a suicide forward lift ya know. i'll definately have to look into how much work is involved with that. keep you posted by spring

I personally didn't want a custom hood ... I prefer the look of a stock one. That's why I won't put a rear spoiler on the car either, I'd rather have a nice smooth look from front to back. Call me boring, but for my simple tastes, the stock SC body lines suit me just fine. And I've seen too many aftermarket glass hoods that are just big pieces of s%*t that take 10 hours of work to make them usable. No thanks.

cheers
Ed N.

Back