car wont idel in gear

wellby440

Today I power washed my motor and I was very carefull to cover any sensors I could when I was done I started the car and took it for a drive. The car runs great but stalls when it is dpoped into gear(auto trany). If I slowly bring the idel down it stays running but the rpm's go up and down, what do you think is the problem I was thinking tps switch because of the rpm's going up and down. If I do need a new tps where is the best place to get one and how do you adjust it(I have a milivolt tester) THANKS

Many ford vehicles, including the SC use the engine computer to control engine idle. This is done through a Idle Air Control, or Idle Air Solenoid.

It's mounted on the inboard side of the throttle body, after the throttle plates. Connected to the engine computer it can create a metered air leak into the intake system.

Because it sounds like you have a low idle issue, rather than a high idle issue, I would tend to think the IAC is having trouble adjusting idle speed. (I had a similar issue after wasing my engine, but it was high idle and I had knocked a vacume line loose)

So, check the wire connection at the IAC. Disconnect and reconnect, make sure no moisture is in there. Blow it out with some air.

If that doesn't solve it, it's possible the IAC is damaged. It's valve can become brittle and tear.

That's my guess.

Back