Climate Control Problems

jc91sc

I've recently started getting an "E7" code that displays on the electronic climate control of my 91 SC. When I first start up and run the defroster or anything, the temperature shows like normal, but after maybe 15-20mins I notice the fan blows harder as if it's on high fan, and the code pops on. Does anyone have any idea what this means? :confused: Thanks.

James E.
jcurry@AdrenalineTuningATL.com

Codes for Existing Errors

88 - system OK
E1 - replace control assembly
E2 - blend door cannot reach desired position. possible failure at evaporator assembly or wiring to blend door actuator
E3 - in-vehicle sensor open
E4 - ambient sensor (mounted on radiator support) open
E5 - sunload sensor (mounted on defrost grille) short
E6 - blend door travel is out of range. possible failure at evaporator assembly or wiring to blend door actuator
E7 - blend door cannot calibrate. possible failure at evaporator assembly or wiring to blend door actuator
E8 - in-vehicle sensor short
E9 - ambient sensor (mounted on radiator support) short

GREAT information...now all I have to do is find the evaporator assembly or wiring to blend door actuator :eek: :eek:

E3 problem

Hi, thanks for the info. Where can I find more info about the E3 (E3 - in-vehicle sensor open)?

I don't even need to do a start self-test, as-soon as I start the AC, I am getting the E3 error.

E3 Sensor location

Hi guys, I am reviewing the E3 problem in my car. I checked the EVT and there is a sensor next to the JBL stereo. Is that the sensor that I have to replace?

I checked the other forums ( fordforums) and found the following info:

The Cabin Sensor is located above the air con register behind th instrument panel and contains a thermistor that measures cabin temperature. It's easy to find as its at the end of the duct that the sniffer motor (small fan) takes air from the the small dash vent to the left of the heater demister switch. Check vent isn't blocked, sniffer motor has failed or wires disconnected from sniffer motor or sensor. If not working the climate control will misread the cabin temperature and you wont get effective hearting or cooling.

Basically what it is saying is that if the Cabin Temperature sensor doesnt work, then the Blend Door Motor (The Temperature Door), will be somewhat out of whack, as the Climate control module will assume that the cabin temperautre is always 21*C
Also, it will effect the Coolant Thermal Control Valve, which will allow Coolant to flow to the heater, if Heating is required (This Tap will always be open !)

(I.E. on a very hot day, the CC will think that the Cabin temp is nice and cool, and doesnt require very much cooling - EG, Cabin temp may be 40*C, and you have the climate control set to 22*C, with the Cabin Temp Sniffer motor stuffed, the Climate Control Module will HEAT the air temp, rather than cool it.....)

On the EA-ED models, the Cabin Sniffer Motor is located behind the Climate Control Module, so you will need to take that out.
It is also towards the Trip Computer part.
Basically it looks like a small coke can, and has 1 wiring loom coming from it, that goes directly to the Climate Control Module.
(On the climate control module, there are 3 connectors (EA-ED), the connector that is Horizontal, (Not the 2 Vertical ones), is the connector for the Cabin Temp Sniffer Motor.

Finally, there will be a Plastic hose coming from the Sniffer motor, going to the Venty thing, next to the Power Antenna, and Demister Switches.... This is the hose that sucks air in to see what the Cabin temp is......

Most prolly your problem is a connector is loose....
Worst case, the Cabin temp sniffer motor has carked itself, and will need to be replaced.

The cable

Finally I found the problem. The cable was disconnected!

I just bought the car and the speedometer was not working, I am guessing the previous owner by mistake disconnected the cable and did not put it back. In the picture you can see the sensor and a white small hose. The hose grabs air from the cabin and the sensor is in the middle sampling the cabin air. I hope this info helps someone in the feature :)

image1 (9).jpeg

Back