Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 45 of 45

Thread: Lentech AOD Street Terminator Review

  1. #31
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    5,641
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo2point3 View Post
    Enjoy the short cut, if you wish to try it.
    AOD rebuild #3 is going in soon so I will definitely try it. I replaced the rear ujoint some time back with the driveshaft on the car, so I know what not to do.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    6,366
    Quote Originally Posted by TbirdSCFan View Post
    AOD rebuild #3 is going in soon ....
    Amateur!
    Kurt K (e-mail)
    SCCoA Member #: 443
    '92 SC AOD -- 11.521s @ 116.748mph, 2.0 AR power
    . . . . . . . . . -- 13.547s @ 101.01 mph, only w/ bolt-ons
    '95 SC 5spd -- All Stock, except 17" Simmons wheels.
    '90 SC 35th Anny 5spd -- 3rd owner, 16k miles
    2 '89 XR7 5spd's -- on their way out, really!

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    896
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo2point3 View Post
    Hello guys, i can finally post, newb thing.

    You are right, pop apart the front u joint and remove Trans cross member and a few other little things and pull it out the front.

    Enjoy the short cut, if you wish to try it.


    Steve
    Welcome to our world Steve.


    Marty

  4. #34
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    5,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt K View Post
    Amateur!
    LOL.. But, gettin better.. last time it took me 4 hours starting from wheels on the ground to tranny in the garage with a few rain slow downs. I don't move as fast as I used to. Knees ache, stiff joints, etc. But pride won't let me quit until its right. I absolutely refuse to let the AOD claim victory

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Lakeville, MN
    Posts
    13,517
    It's been a year. hows the transmission doing? Still happy with your choice?

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    3,659
    It has a premature shift issue during WOT, this was an issue right from the get go. It shifts at 4000 RPM during WOT. Lentech thinks its the TV cable (I doubt it, pull as hard as you can go and done) or the governor (they sent out a replacement). I need to get around to getting a shop to look at it. If this does not fix it you can count on a huge rant bomb post.

    Let me tell you about their warranty. Reading into it you are responsible for shipping there and back, near $500. They also charge a fee for looking at it which is also near $500. Add a couple weeks turn around and your out your car and your money for their work. I'm hoping it does not come to this.

    If I had to do it all over again live in Ohio and get DirtyD0g to build one. Support the SC locals!

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    208
    Did the pilot on the convertor still fit into the end of the crankshaft with the washers that you used????
    I have one for my 5.0L but it has the removable sfi bellhousing and the flexplate is a good inch away from the convertor bolts, so the pilot does not sit in the crank(not good)had a major fluid leak due to convertor wobble.
    Called lentech and they said that there was a kit that they sell with an extended crank pilot and spacers so that this would work correctly,did they tell you the same???
    I was advised not to use washers.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    St. Charles, MO
    Posts
    20,886
    Quote Originally Posted by Toms-SC View Post
    It has a premature shift issue during WOT, this was an issue right from the get go. It shifts at 4000 RPM during WOT. Lentech thinks its the TV cable (I doubt it, pull as hard as you can go and done) or the governor (they sent out a replacement). I need to get around to getting a shop to look at it. If this does not fix it you can count on a huge rant bomb post.

    Let me tell you about their warranty. Reading into it you are responsible for shipping there and back, near $500. They also charge a fee for looking at it which is also near $500. Add a couple weeks turn around and your out your car and your money for their work. I'm hoping it does not come to this.

    If I had to do it all over again live in Ohio and get DirtyD0g to build one. Support the SC locals!
    Tom,

    AODs never shift when they are supposed to....thats why anytime I'm going WOT, I shift it manually.

    David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat...............707HP/650TQ

    My Garage

  9. #39
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    17,429
    The TV cable is there to adjust line pressure. If you have the lentech VB with a TV cable then it should be properly set. This does affect the shift point and wil lead to premature wear of the transmission due to excessive line pressure
    They don't call me "SLOWPOKE" for nothin!
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v...vehicle&id=110
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardoa1 View Post
    I love the filter. Its pimp. paper element and 10Mircron filtration, 12" long cause size matters.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Madison, Ohio
    Posts
    17,532
    Quote Originally Posted by DamonSlowpokeBaumann View Post
    The TV cable is there to adjust line pressure. If you have the lentech VB with a TV cable then it should be properly set. This does affect the shift point and wil lead to premature wear of the transmission due to excessive line pressure
    I thought Lentech said that it can't be too tight unless it restricts throttle travel?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    17,429
    Dave,

    Actually the lentech "no TV cable" valve body adds to premature wear due to excessive line pressure. However If they say leave it full tight then leave it and see what they can do for the shift points. I would say you could just send them the VB and not thewhole tranny though.

    I had allot of bad AOD experiences with my cougar and eventually went with the manual shift lentech VB.

    The tv cable is what tells the transmission through pressure when to shift along with various other variables within the VB. I know they completely rework the VB but the one with the TV cable still uses that for some control. Perhaps your just stuck with a low rpm WOT shift point unless you manually shift
    They don't call me "SLOWPOKE" for nothin!
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v...vehicle&id=110
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardoa1 View Post
    I love the filter. Its pimp. paper element and 10Mircron filtration, 12" long cause size matters.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    3,659
    Straight from the Lentech Manual:

    Cable Type
    -Adjust cable so it is pulled out all the way when the accelerator is
    placed at “Wide Open Throttle”
    Linkage Type
    -Adjust linkage so rod is pushed a far as it will travel with
    accelerator at “Wide Open Throttle”
    -Test drive vehicle and if it shifts too late (delayed), back it
    down 1/8th of an inch and try again.
    -After test drive, recheck fluid level

    I'll go get it double checked. I was not too worried about it because for daily driving it is fine.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    St. Charles, MO
    Posts
    20,886
    Quote Originally Posted by XR7 Dave View Post
    I thought Lentech said that it can't be too tight unless it restricts throttle travel?
    You are correct...and that is how my 91 has been adjusted since installing the Lentech VB way back when.

    David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat...............707HP/650TQ

    My Garage

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Eastern (nee Western) PA
    Posts
    4,988
    In my experience, pulling the TV cable tighter raises the shift points somewhat and firms up the shifts a good bit on a stock AOD. However, I don't know how much you can really raise the shift points using this method. Also, if your transmission has very quick shifts, the actual shift point (when accelerating) will be lower than a slow-shifting transmission. This is because the engine has less time to rev up before the shift is complete.

    All that said, 4000 rpm seems a little low. Assuming that line pressure is within a normal range, I wonder if the VB could be a little off?

    By the way, that clunk you had shortly after installation might have been the inspection cover whacking the torque converter. I had a similar noise on a rebuild I had two years ago, and I decided that is probably what it was. No proof, though.
    God bless!!!

    1990 SC auto ... red outside, gray cloth inside ... ~205,000 miles (and climbing) ... driven daily!

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    3,659
    Quote Originally Posted by S_Mazza View Post

    By the way, that clunk you had shortly after installation might have been the inspection cover whacking the torque converter. I had a similar noise on a rebuild I had two years ago, and I decided that is probably what it was. No proof, though.
    You know what I totally forgot to update the thread about that noise. It was indeed the rubber inspection cover getting jammed between the torque converter, it ripped a thumb size chunk of rubber off and was done.

Similar Threads

  1. Race Dates 2006 and other events in SoCal!!!
    By BT Motorsports in forum Super Coupe Club of Southern California
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-10-2007, 04:51 PM
  2. FS: Lentech valve body for AOD
    By Notorious SI-G in forum Super Coupe Club of Ontario
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-22-2005, 12:17 PM
  3. FS Lentech AOD Street Term w/Lentech Converter
    By SilverFox in forum Parts for Sale
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-09-2005, 02:32 PM
  4. AOD / Lentech / shift kit
    By 90blkbrd in forum Technical Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-04-2005, 09:20 AM
  5. Art Carr STREET / STRIP AOD Transmission
    By Shockwave in forum Technical Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-05-2004, 10:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •