1st Race with Slicks

doug93sc

I went out for the first time last with Slicks and my short times improved greatly...Here is what I got:

1st run - since I got there late this was the only time trial I could do.

60 ft 1.954
1/4 time 14.23
1/4 mph 92.57

2nd run - this run was bracket racing and I lost so I couldnt get any more runs in:(

60 ft 1.834
1/4 time 14.05
1/4 mph 92.80

I am very happy with the 60 ft times (considering the best 60 ft in street tires was a 2.1) but I am wondering why my mph is so much lower than last year on street tires? I was in the 96-98 mph range last year...do slicks slow your MPH that much? It was a nice cool night and I had about 45 minutes between runs so I know it was not becuase of being hot.

Hey Doug

Hey Doug,
Are these the slicks I sold recently. If so they seem to be working very well for you. I can only guess you have a 5 Speed from your 60ft Times and your ET.

My 60 ft times are only 1.9, but I hit 98mph with a 13.86 1/4.

ANyway great job on the new times.

Smitty

Hey Doug,
Are these the slicks I sold recently. If so they seem to be working very well for you. I can only guess you have a 5 Speed from your 60ft Times and your ET.

My 60 ft times are only 1.9, but I hit 98mph with a 13.86 1/4.

ANyway great job on the new times.

Smitty

Yes they are the same ones, they are just awesome!! Yes it is a 5 speed....1st gear is real quick:D I just put in a 255FI fuel pump, 42 pound injetors and a pro-M 80MM MAFS, I think the car is running a little too rich and just not making power on the top end thus my slower times.

I am not going to race it again until I either have it tuned OR I switch back to the 30lb injectors and stock meter.

am very happy with the 60 ft times (considering the best 60 ft in street tires was a 2.1) but I am wondering why my mph is so much lower than last year on street tires? I was in the 96-98 mph range last year...do slicks slow your MPH that much? It was a nice cool night and I had about 45 minutes between runs so I know it was not becuase of being hot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are several reason why your MPH may have slowed down one of which is the traction. Generally, A car that spins then finally hooks will run a couple MPH better than one that dead hooks on slicks. The E.T may be quicker when it hooks better but NOT necessarily the MPH. That is normal. In your particular case on this day, that was NOT the case.

The second reason is what are the size of slicks compared to street tires. A taller tire reduces gear, a shorter tire increases it. If its a shorter tire then it is highly likely that it had more gear, better E.T and again less MPH.

Thirdly conditions and track location. Is this the same track you ran at last year and were the conditions the same. I've noticed variations of as much as 1-2 MPH from track to track. Keep in mind conditions and temps, humidity, air density, weight all come into play here too. On a pretty typical street application its not uncommon due to any of those reasons to see a MPH or two lost at top. Especially in bad heat or higher elevation.

Fourthly, if you've added additional weight, ie stereo, heavier wheels and tires or other goodies, that will shave MPH as well.

Lastly, shift points and rpm could very well have something to do with it too since you have a stick car. The harder you leave in the RPM the better the 60 ft will be if it can hook it. Shift points should try to be completed the same every time. Unless you race it a lot at the track I'm sure some of its that. A early or late shift in the power band WILL affect both ET and MPH. Your last run was obviously better than the first and I suspect better shift points and maybe leaving harder on the launch had something to do with that.

A 14.0 pass should be in the 94-97 MPH range in these cars. I'm in agreement with your observation that its likely running rich at top. I think a tune will put you in the 13's and a much better running car on the top end of the track.

These are just some things to consider. Get it tuned and do a lot more test and tune running at your track and data log what you do and how it affects the car. It'll get you in practice as well at driving the car on the track. You will certainly see improvement in both ET and MPH ,especially come Fall, in cooler temps.

I hope this helps you and good luck.

Last edited:
am very happy with the 60 ft times (considering the best 60 ft in street tires was a 2.1) but I am wondering why my mph is so much lower than last year on street tires? I was in the 96-98 mph range last year...do slicks slow your MPH that much? It was a nice cool night and I had about 45 minutes between runs so I know it was not becuase of being hot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are several reason why your MPH may have slowed down one of which is the traction. Generally, A car that spins then finally hooks will run a couple MPH better than one that dead hooks on slicks. The E.T may be quicker when it hooks better but NOT necessarily the MPH. That is normal. In your particular case on this day, that was NOT the case.

The second reason is what are the size of slicks compared to street tires. A taller tire reduces gear, a shorter tire increases it. If its a shorter tire then it is highly likely that it had more gear, better E.T and again less MPH.

Thirdly conditions and track location. Is this the same track you ran at last year and were the conditions the same. I've noticed variations of as much as 1-2 MPH from track to track. Keep in mind conditions and temps, humidity, air density, weight all come into play here too. On a pretty typical street application its not uncommon due to any of those reasons to see a MPH or two lost at top. Especially in bad heat or higher elevation.

Fourthly, if you've added additional weight, ie stereo, heavier wheels and tires or other goodies, that will shave MPH as well.

Lastly, shift points and rpm could very well have something to do with it too since you have a stick car. The harder you leave in the RPM the better the 60 ft will be if it can hook it. Shift points should try to be completed the same every time. Unless you race it a lot at the track I'm sure some of its that. A early or late shift in the power band WILL affect both ET and MPH. Your last run was obviously better than the first and I suspect better shift points and maybe leaving harder on the launch had something to do with that.

A 14.0 pass should be in the 94-97 MPH range in these cars. I'm in agreement with your observation that its likely running rich at top. I think a tune will put you in the 13's and a much better running car on the top end of the track.

These are just some things to consider. Get it tuned and do a lot more test and tune running at your track and data log what you do and how it affects the car. It'll get you in practice as well at driving the car on the track. You will certainly see improvement in both ET and MPH ,especially come Fall, in cooler temps.

I hope this helps you and good luck.

Thanks for the input/advice!

The slicks are the same diameter as the street tires.

It is the same track where I was running 14.2's last season and it was actually cooler than last time I ran it but I do not know what the humidity and baro was this time or last time.

You bring up a good point about weight, I had my street tires in my trunk! I would guess that the rims and tires are at least 50-60 lbs. But other than that no other changes.

I shift at 5200 and I feel I am very consistant with that, I put about 35-40 passes on it last season. I will say though that I did heat the slicks up a bit more on the second pass so I think that is why the better 60 footer.

I have already started a log for what I have done to the car as well as what tire pressure, times etc.

I want to be somewhat competitive in my class this year at the shootout so i have a lot of work to do.:)

I would expect that the street wheels and tires combo would be about 42-44 lbs each. Therefore you'd have been hauling nearly another 90 lbs down the track and on the top end.

You should have slowed some E.T from last time but with the better hook and 60 ft, you negated those losses and actually turned a better E.T. You need to try to keep any unecessary weight out of the car and try to run with a 1/4 tank of fuel or slightly less.

Dependant on the amount of fuel at approximately 6-7 lbs per gallon and the rest, its hard to say how much additional weight you may have been running.

Sounds like you have a good plan in improving your times! Keep up the good work.

:)

Last edited:
One word. Knuckhead.

Thanks Dave I knew I could count on you for such a wonderful comment:p

I didnt want to leave them just laying around as I did not go with anyone else to keep an eye on them....plus it was a big night, there were at least 120 cars racing.

I did only have about 4 gallons in the tank though.

Thanks Dave I knew I could count on you for such a wonderful comment:p

I didnt want to leave them just laying around as I did not go with anyone else to keep an eye on them....plus it was a big night, there were at least 120 cars racing.

I did only have about 4 gallons in the tank though.

Double Knucklehead. :p Never race with that low of fuel, you'll run out. It's not a problem when you are on crappy tires but a hard launch will starve the pickup with less than 1/2 tank.

Double Knucklehead. :p Never race with that low of fuel, you'll run out. It's not a problem when you are on crappy tires but a hard launch will starve the pickup with less than 1/2 tank.

Thanks for the advice Dave...I will remember that next time.

That is why I love this community, we gain knowledge everyday!!:)

Back