Steps to build a Double Intercooler

kenewagner

Posted pictures and information on how a Double Intercooler can be built. I have read many threads on Dbl ICs and decided to post pictures of the building of an Intercooler that was just built for a club member. Please do not post requests to purchase or price ICs in this thread, it is for information only.

I strip all cores of powder coating. It makes welding easier and also cleans oil out of the pores of the alum making for a cleaner weld. Any plating shop will have a cold dip tank and will charge you 15 to 20 bucks. It is worth it

On one core I cut both end tanks clear off since I do not use the stock end tanks. I feel they lack the size and shape to flow air well especially with the new blowers putting out more boost. After cutting off the end tanks as per the pictures I weld the two cores together as shown. I build end tanks out of 3/16" plate alum. I have patterns that I can trace on the alum and either shear or cut with a band saw. I install a 1/8" thick divider to split the air to allow even flow of air to both cores. The shape of the end tanks are what I like but can be done anyway a guy would decide to do his own. I tig weld all the joints using a 5356 tig rod. The inside of the top end tank is Mig welded to add strenth because I sand down the crown of the outside weld to produce a good looking end tank that looks more factory. After welding I pressure test all joints and the tubes as per pictures. You can see how the tubes leak and require sealing with epoxy. I finish the IC with an epoxy primer and 2 coats of a high gloss industrial urthane paint. I install side panels of polished SS with short SS screws.

Some guys looking to build a dbl Ic of their own can use these pictures to build the best Ic they can. There is no patent on building IC so if you got the tools and abilties then it can be fairly easy. If not there are many talented guys in the club who can do them. I hope some of the pictures will help to show where the Ic leaks and how they are constructed. Ask the guy who builds your IC if he reseals it, does he pressure test it. If not your car will have a vacuum leak that will drive your idle crazy. A double IC is a good mod if a FMIC is not in the price range or plans and built right will far exceed the stock single IC from the factory.

Ken

Attachments

• Cutting off end tank.jpg
    Cutting off end tank.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 1,100
  • Cutting off top end tank.jpg
    Cutting off top end tank.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 1,040
  • IC cores cut down.jpg
    IC cores cut down.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 1,105
  • Welded cores together.jpg
    Welded cores together.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 1,381
  • Divider installed.jpg
    Divider installed.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 1,176
Last edited:
More pictures

Attachments

• Fit up of bottom.jpg
    Fit up of bottom.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 1,010
  • Top rough in.jpg
    Top rough in.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 1,007
  • Top finished.jpg
    Top finished.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 969
  • Pressure test.jpg
    Pressure test.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 1,027
  • Leaks.jpg
    Leaks.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 951
Last of the pictures

Attachments

• Epoxy sealer.jpg
    Epoxy sealer.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 925
  • Sealing between.jpg
    Sealing between.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 974
  • IC.jpg
    IC.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 993
  • IC2.jpg
    IC2.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 986
Thanks for the post and pics. I will be tossing the one I started and start a new one. Nice Work....

did you paint or powdercoat the IC when you were finished? I plan on powdercoating mine so I think I will powdercoat it first then reseal the entanks afterwards. How hot can that epoxy handle? I was worried powdercoating it would possibly crack it again so thast why I figure I'll coat it first.

Nevermind I just missed where you said you painted it, DOH!

got the materials to do this /couple questions.

after IM done I want to re rout my inter cooler tubes Ive been searching posts havent found anything. whats a good way to re rout. also Im going with the 3" alum, tubes I see no way to connect with out cutting my stock ones to leave couple " to have something to use the blue rubber couplers on is that how its done? thanks

after IM done I want to re rout my inter cooler tubes Ive been searching posts havent found anything. whats a good way to re rout. also Im going with the 3" alum, tubes I see no way to connect with out cutting my stock ones to leave couple " to have something to use the blue rubber couplers on is that how its done? thanks

3" is over kill and you will find it harder to find the room to install the bigger tubeing. Not saying it cant be done just harder. If you havent scaled everything else up to match it is a waste of time. The lower intake manifold inlet would neck it down unless it was opened up to match. 3" looks nice on some pictures I have seen but in reality a waste. There are many diffrent ways I have seen to run new IC tubes if you have a FMIC. I have not explored any other ways with a stock or double IC as I dont have either. The Dbl IC could have the stock hookup deleted and a nipple welded in place. You would have to fit the tubeing to make it work from there. Relocating the battery to the trunk makes a little more room to run tubes. I ran my side by side which worked for me but not for everyone else. The picture is an old picture of my car with the M90 but the IC pipes have remained the same.

Ken

Attachments

• Eng top pic.jpg
    Eng top pic.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 907
That car is a real work of art. Excellent work on the intercooler. Do you have a site with other pics of your car?

Very Helpful

It's very good information for someone wanting to try and make one on their own!!!!!

Don't mean to get off topic but did you make the brake res. covers for the 89-93 years yet? If you had posted before that you did Sorry I didn't see it.

Tom

It's very good information for someone wanting to try and make one on their own!!!!!

Don't mean to get off topic but did you make the brake res. covers for the 89-93 years yet? If you had posted before that you did Sorry I didn't see it.

Tom

One of the local members gave me the older resivors. I havent had time to fabricate a cover for it yet. Trying to put my car back together and its always fighting me from making it beautiful:rolleyes:

Ken

What shield gas did you use?

Kenewager, what gas and settings did you use when doing the MIG'n & TIG'n?
Fixing to start on raising my top and turning the in/outlets on my fmic. My TIG rig has HF and Pulse, MIG dosen't have a spool gun yet.
If you could recall the settings and PM me I would appreciate it.

Thanks MikeH

I wonder if the "splitter" you install actually does anything? I would think that the air would follow the path of least resistance and naturally distribute itself as required to get the same pressure drop across all of the core passages.

The 'path of least resistance' would seem to be the near core, which would presumably be prone to running a lower temperature and higher flow...different from the far core. I'm not sure pressure differential across cores/passages would be a factor.

Without a diffuser coaxing a certain percentage of airflow beyond the primary/near core, the far core would perhaps risk being deprived.

Which electric fan is that?

Last edited:
It would be until flow started going through it.....then its effective resistance would rise and "force" the flow to adjacent sections that did not have the same amount of flow until it all equalized pretty much across the entire core.

It would be until flow started going through it.....then its effective resistance would rise and "force" the flow to adjacent sections that did not have the same amount of flow until it all equalized pretty much across the entire core.

My logic, since I dont have a degree in aero dynamics on the divider is this. In a double IC the air is coming in at a high velocity and overshoot the first core and slam in to the rear wall of the end tank. I build the end tank so it is slanted down to the core so air is going to deflect down into the core. Granted that after the core is pressured completely air will flow through both cores but the velocity of the air is alway going to push the air over the top of the first core. If I stuck a deflector in front of a garden hose and split the stream in half. Half of the water flow would deflect down and half would continue straight. Air is just molecules that are not as condensed as a liquid but should have the same flow characteristics as a liquid flow. I beleive the front core doesnt get good flow simply because the air over shoots it and it only flows what overflow the rear core has. If air was just introduced with out velocity it would flow evenly through both cores. My logic anyway. I can always change my opinion if someone produces a better argument;)

Ken

My logic, since I dont have a degree in aero dynamics on the divider is this. In a double IC the air is coming in at a high velocity and overshoot the first core and slam in to the rear wall of the end tank. I build the end tank so it is slanted down to the core so air is going to deflect down into the core. Granted that after the core is pressured completely air will flow through both cores but the velocity of the air is alway going to push the air over the top of the first core. If I stuck a deflector in front of a garden hose and split the stream in half. Half of the water flow would deflect down and half would continue straight. Air is just molecules that are not as condensed as a liquid but should have the same flow characteristics as a liquid flow. I beleive the front core doesnt get good flow simply because the air over shoots it and it only flows what overflow the rear core has. If air was just introduced with out velocity it would flow evenly through both cores. My logic anyway. I can always change my opinion if someone produces a better argument;)

Ken

I think you're exactly right. Air under pressure will go where it is forced to go. I think the divider will force half of the air (below the splitter) down into the first core and half above the splitter into the second core, which will cause even pressures across the cores and no desire for more air to try and coerce itself into one with a different pressure.

kenewagner> air is coming in at a high velocity and overshoot the first core and slam in to the rear wall of the end tank.

In which case I would expect increased turbulence over the second core, restricting flow volume - making the first core the path of least resistance - however...your tactic of slanting the end tank should work to maintain laminar flow and reduce turbulence.

In any case, the addition of the splitter looks to be an asset, helping to maximum utilization of both cores.

Not only that, the end product is *** attractive! :)

Last edited:
The divider has come up in other threads, and some like it some dont. I havent had anyone ask me to delete it from a IC and if they did it would be no problem. They sell well, they do look nice, thanks KMT and I havent had any dissatisiffed customers. If someone has a better mouse trap than I'll build it. Most of my ideas come right from this club. Im easy, just not always cheap;)

Ken

Back