Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steps to build a Double Intercooler

It would be until flow started going through it.....then its effective resistance would rise and "force" the flow to adjacent sections that did not have the same amount of flow until it all equalized pretty much across the entire core.
    22 year SC Owner GFP
    (Glutton for Punishment)
    1992 5 Speed SC one of 1256
    1995 5 Speed SC one of 574

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy Floyd View Post
    It would be until flow started going through it.....then its effective resistance would rise and "force" the flow to adjacent sections that did not have the same amount of flow until it all equalized pretty much across the entire core.
    My logic, since I dont have a degree in aero dynamics on the divider is this. In a double IC the air is coming in at a high velocity and overshoot the first core and slam in to the rear wall of the end tank. I build the end tank so it is slanted down to the core so air is going to deflect down into the core. Granted that after the core is pressured completely air will flow through both cores but the velocity of the air is alway going to push the air over the top of the first core. If I stuck a deflector in front of a garden hose and split the stream in half. Half of the water flow would deflect down and half would continue straight. Air is just molecules that are not as condensed as a liquid but should have the same flow characteristics as a liquid flow. I beleive the front core doesnt get good flow simply because the air over shoots it and it only flows what overflow the rear core has. If air was just introduced with out velocity it would flow evenly through both cores. My logic anyway. I can always change my opinion if someone produces a better argument

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by kenewagner View Post
    My logic, since I dont have a degree in aero dynamics on the divider is this. In a double IC the air is coming in at a high velocity and overshoot the first core and slam in to the rear wall of the end tank. I build the end tank so it is slanted down to the core so air is going to deflect down into the core. Granted that after the core is pressured completely air will flow through both cores but the velocity of the air is alway going to push the air over the top of the first core. If I stuck a deflector in front of a garden hose and split the stream in half. Half of the water flow would deflect down and half would continue straight. Air is just molecules that are not as condensed as a liquid but should have the same flow characteristics as a liquid flow. I beleive the front core doesnt get good flow simply because the air over shoots it and it only flows what overflow the rear core has. If air was just introduced with out velocity it would flow evenly through both cores. My logic anyway. I can always change my opinion if someone produces a better argument

Ken
    I think you're exactly right. Air under pressure will go where it is forced to go. I think the divider will force half of the air (below the splitter) down into the first core and half above the splitter into the second core, which will cause even pressures across the cores and no desire for more air to try and coerce itself into one with a different pressure.

kenewagner> air is coming in at a high velocity and overshoot the first core and slam in to the rear wall of the end tank.

In which case I would expect increased turbulence over the second core, restricting flow volume - making the first core the path of least resistance - however...your tactic of slanting the end tank should work to maintain laminar flow and reduce turbulence.

In any case, the addition of the splitter looks to be an asset, helping to maximum utilization of both cores.

Not only that, the end product is *** attractive!
    Last edited by KMT; 08-13-2008 at 02:16 PM.

The divider has come up in other threads, and some like it some dont. I havent had anyone ask me to delete it from a IC and if they did it would be no problem. They sell well, they do look nice, thanks KMT and I havent had any dissatisiffed customers. If someone has a better mouse trap than I'll build it. Most of my ideas come right from this club. Im easy, just not always cheap

Ken

Ken:

What 12V fan do you recommend for the SC IC?

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by KMT View Post
    Ken:

What 12V fan do you recommend for the SC IC?

Ken
    I set them up for a perma cool 8" fan. Another member sent me a fan he had and when I measured it I found it had the mounting hole in the exact place as the perma cool. I dont really have a preference, they are just what I have installed on the ICs in the past.

Ken

Ken,
    For high speed use (open track), do you recommend a single puller fan or two fans (pusher/puller)?

Quote Originally Posted by RedFox View Post
    Ken,
    For high speed use (open track), do you recommend a single puller fan or two fans (pusher/puller)?
    Maybe some who have done both ways can chime in. I know with a shroud the air is pulled through just like your radiator. I assume there are added benfits to a pusher as well. How much I would just be guessing

Ken

Assessment on plenum air splitter

I know this is an old thread, however since Ken is not in the business of manufacturing DICs currently, I decided to ask my Chemical Engineer son about the air flow question.

I showed my son the pics of Ken's design and this is what he told me:

I have worked on similar problems in oil refinery design. There will be a negligible flow rate and pressure loss between the two intercoolers, the air divider in the top plenum is not required. This is due to the nearly identical flow paths and parallel configuration of the two ICs.

So Ken, Kudos to you. I am going to try and replicate your work. Wish me luck.
    Last edited by Pro_usa1776; 10-11-2020 at 04:20 PM.

Hi

Whats up guys. Still got my 93 5spd. Good times

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKanterakis View Post
    Whats up guys. Still got my 93 5spd. Good times
    Hey, been long time man!!! Remember when you were in NJ and stopped over to get some parts off my white 89 XR7, the rear swaybar and the grill....You were studying for the Bar Exam I think at the time, crazy how we remember certain things!
    Tom Downs-member#2752
    MPX'd 90 SC Auto~bought Feb. 2012
    RIP MOM!!! I will always miss and think about you 4Ever! 1940-2018
    RIP Rexy boy!!!! Miss my dog 2006-2018
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v...vehicle&id=424