Best BANG for the buck? ...opinions wanted

Best BANG for the buck?

• Total voters

joshbea6

Ok Guys...

As you can see by my signature, I am currently rebuilding a 1990 SC. I currently do not have much in the motor rebuild save for some block prep (about $400).

My question is this...

Which motor gives the best bang for the buck:

A. 4.6L DOHC Cobra Motor (with blower...I want to keep it blown)

B. 3.8L SC engine with MPX blower (ported heads, cam, etc.)

My goal for the car is to have a car that can perform both on a road course as well as at the strip. I'm hoping for 11's in the 1/4 mile, and the ability to have it perform well at SCCA.

-Josh

oh without a doubt the cobra motor. more potential too.

i think the 2004 SVT Cobra motor had 390 hp.

with MPX, cam and heads (with exhaust and instake stuff) on the 3.8 i think u'd be around 350 hp

oh without a doubt the cobra motor. more potential too.

i think the 2004 SVT Cobra motor had 390 hp.

with MPX, cam and heads (with exhaust and instake stuff) on the 3.8 i think u'd be around 350 hp

I aggree I think the cobra motor has more to offer than our 3.8

I disagree, if you are talking about your SC. There is no way the swap from the 3.8 to the 4.6 is the best bang for the buck. You adding weight with the additional cost of setting the car up for the 4.6. Just buy the MPX and supporting mods and go.

The 4.6 DOHC has way more potential than the 3.8. It depends how resourceful you are with picking up parts needed for the swap. To take full advantage of the MPX, you'll want to have your heads ported, cams, etc .. its going to cost $$$, the cobra is also very expensive. I would suggest picking up a 4.6 car to do the swap in ( or use your 97 bird !!! ), they can be found for very cheap .. you'll need more parts to swap from the 3.8 to the 4.6 versus going from a 4.6 SOHC to the DOHC - in which case, most people are going with the Aluminum block explorer PI 4.6 which can be had for very cheap and is a very easy swap for the 96/97 Birds.

As far as the weight mentioned, I believe the 3.8 iron block with all of the SC parts and accessories, brackets, etc etc .. is quite heavy. Compared with the DOHC 4.6 or the explorer 4.6, they both have aluminum blocks and a nice vortech kit or the AED doesnt add that much weight to the overall package and will make plenty of power.

Either way, getting into the 11's is going to cost $$$$

- Dan

Last edited:
Well the nice part is that the SC is completely apart...and when I say completely, there isn't any wiring, fenders, doors, trunk, noting. It is just the uni-body sitting on jack stands at the moment. As far as the SC block, Like I mentioned, All I have done is basic block prep for forged pistons so it has been bored and honed, as well as hot tanked, and magnafluxed to check for cracks. So All I have in the SC is basically about $400-$600. So I have not spent a LOT yet. I figured that I would have about $7-10K in the power train alone by the time I was done.

As far as the 97LX Sport, I'm wanting to keep that one as my DD, and I don't want to do much to her. The SC was always the project.

For the extra headache not sure the HP that you will get is worth it. I guess a lot would bepend on your HP/TQ goals.
Get one of each!:D

Back