ok finally started the hg's !!

question about gasket matching

just got my heads from the machine shop i lay the new intake manifold gasket over the heads and it looks like i need to remove a lot of material just to match the gasket does everybody match them? or is it worth it now that my heads came clean from the shop?

yea i hope you're not thinking of porting your heads after your valve job.

u can do it if u want but you'll have to get the ports cleaned up somehow and u cant do any bowl work, like removing the short side radius in the exhaust ports.

you could do the exhaust bottoms ,inside the exits

- doing the heads can be a task ,and it would have been better to do before taking them in ,but it could be done...would require taking them apart ,

touch a valve set with the grinder and it's toast ,but if this is new to you ,you might want to pass

cheers

ohhh no wonder it didnt work , is there alot involved in making it functional ?? do i buy a new unit and it works or do i need to do something else ??

thanks btw

There's an article in the literature section on how to do it. Its pretty easy.

ya i wanted to gasket match it when i took them off but the hg set took like two weeks to get here, i installed them today so i passed on the gasket matching.

Unless your going to weld up the exhaust ports so you can shape them better, the ONLY thing you should do is smooth out the short radius and STOP right there. I think polishing the port will be ok so long as you barely remove any material.

Anything else and your going to really loose alot of performance out of the motor as the exhaust ports are too big and badly shaped as it is. Port matching them to the manifolds is very bad as well as you will have alot of exhaust be sucked back into the cylinder during valve over lap.

On the intake side, I actually gasket matched the intake ports and the intake manifold, and that proved to remove alot of material, and also created a bell shape going into the intake port, which I've read can be a good thing. My boost is now down to just above 10psi at WOT, and other than having no resonator my exhaust is stock.

Once I get brave enough, I'm going to buy a 5% pully and put it on..... :eek:

Back