What cars under 20k will beat a 300hp WRX??

The_Ghost

I am having some difficulty with this here,
a friend of mine has a 2003 WRX with BPU upgrades, and will shortly have a STi turbocharger.. He should be seeing 290-300 crank hp, and he says the overall goal is 300AWHP....

Unfortunately for me, unlike most ricers, he is not full of ~~~~~. He works at a small performance shop called EDO performance in huntington beach.

My thunderbird SC actually stood a fighting chance against the car in stock form because at the time, he couldn't launch, and I could... but my SC 5-speed is long dead.

In short, in order to take the car, I need MORE POWER, CAPTAIN!
It would take at LEAST 400hp in an MN12 to beat him at this point. So I need something newer, lighter, more powerful than an MN12.

What will it take to beat this car??
Can it be done for under 20k??
(assuming you buy a car as it sits, not hot it up.. with 20gs my LX would be pi'd, 6-spd, and supercharged)

I was thinking AUDI S4 Biturbo... ...for the power to weight ratio, there is almost nothing I can think of that can beat the sonofab!tch.

Specs:

2003 Subaru WRX

3085lbs
300hp
250-ish tq.
5-speed

Am I ~~~~?

-ghost

Last edited:
If it was me I'd find a 98 and up LS1 camaro or firebird.You can pick one up for 8K and up depending on the mileage and condition.Bone stock I've seen them run 13.8 to 12.9.If you want to mod it you can have a low 11 to high 10second car (n/a) for about 4K over you're purchase price.My buddy had a 98 Z28 auto with 342 gears and we had it running consistant 11.2's at 120 plus with the following mods.TEA stage 1.5 heads,mac shorty headers,3inch y-pipe,with a 3 inch flowmaster muffler,mti cam,air lid,yank 3800 converter ported stock throttle body,tuned by us with ls1 edit and were no pro tuners,also the stock longblock and tranny had 115K on them.The car still got 20 plus mpg and drove like a stock car until you layed into the throttle.And the ls1 cars are super easy to work on.In my eyes the ls1 engine is one of the best designs to ever come out and are super easy to make big power with.Just my opinion anyways.

Jay

Fox body stang in good running order stock can be high 13 to mid 14.

Take it from there....Not hard at all to get into the tens

Fox body stang in good running order stock can be high 13 to mid 14.

Take it from there....Not hard at all to get into the tens

not at all..

i know where this is a 10.2 1/4 fox for sale for 10k..89 coupe...347 n/a...with a 100 shot it will go well into the 9's.

There is tons of cars under $20K that can beat that wrx.Most of the STis I've seen at the track run mid 13's and traping around 100 mph.You can pick up a 03-04 cobra under $20K.You don't need 400hp in a super coupe to beat that wrx.If he's getting stock turbo out of 2.5l sti motor and trowing on his 2.0 l he's just wasting his time and money.

MUSTANG!!!! Millions of parts available and countless forums on mustang performance. you cant beat 'em. Personally i prefer the SC and day. its more fun to drive than any mustang I have been in!

Any Audi S4 6-speed with APR chip, downpipes, diverters, and exhaust, SHOULD whip his ~~~. That'd be close to 340 hp but he has less weight. If you had money for a set of RS4 turbos (KO4) and intercoolers or a big FMIC you could seriously wax him. The 2.7T is a bad ~~~ motor, however the engine bay size limits the size of the turbos you can run.

I have seen an S4 where they cut through the hood, had custom manifolds, and put the turbo's up high, thing ran 9's on a stock bottom end if I remember right.

Need a good strong clutch.

An APR Stage 3 S4 would run about $8000 on top of purchase price, but you can get a 2000 S4 for under $10k if you really search for it and don't mind higher miles. As long as the timing belt and water pump has been changed recently depending on mileage I wouldn't worry. I am not sure on the life span of the turbo's but I wouldn't fret a high mileage S4.

I'm looking at getting an A6 2.7t since it's only like 200 lbs more than an S4, has more room and trunk space. I plan on an APR or GIAC chip and the tiptronic chip as well to recalibrate the trans. Then slowly do some bolt ons. I'd like to get around 420 at the crank and keep it as a daily driver.

...get a running turbocoupe pref 87-88 with smaller turbo,swap to early bigger turbo83-86 ,,boost controller(made for less than 10 bucks...) set around 22-25 #'s ....if not a 5spd swap for one..then run a huge fmic, and say about a 3 or 3.5 inch exhaust turbo back ..ohh a k&n cone...ported turbo header...lol oh yeah..disconnect the boost buzzer,haha otherwise its on buzzin most the time....you dont really need much , it would be a cheap rocket that would prolly toast your buddies wrx...

...get a running turbocoupe pref 87-88 with smaller turbo,swap to early bigger turbo83-86 ,,boost controller(made for less than 10 bucks...) set around 22-25 #'s ....if not a 5spd swap for one..then run a huge fmic, and say about a 3 or 3.5 inch exhaust turbo back ..ohh a k&n cone...ported turbo header...lol oh yeah..disconnect the boost buzzer,haha otherwise its on buzzin most the time....you dont really need much , it would be a cheap rocket that would prolly toast your buddies wrx...

Good thinking, I'd change this, screw the 5-speed.... C4 auto, 3500 stall, trans brake, 4.10's, et street radials, 4" down pipe, and an esslinger head w/ ranger roller cam. I'd get a new exhaust manifold and run a bigger turbo, cuz with the stall and trans brake, it will spool, and you'll need a front mount. I'd put some 15x3's up front and some 15x8's out back weld pro-stars.

easy low 12's.

Now put that Ford 2.3L Turbo motor with the C4 in a PINTO!!!!!!!!!!...7-8 grand US and run 10.7s all day long..seen it done in HOTROD MAG..

03-04 cobra, not exactly sure what they go for, there's a tuned one that made about 450rwhp for sale for $24K, or a stocker that you can drop in a kenne bell to will give you rediculous numbers and just eat whole pretty much anything on the street.

Or get a porsche 924? I think it is or Datsun 280Z, and throw in a 350. Those cars are rediculous.

Last edited:
do this...get a fox hatch or coupe...86-93 efi...:D do an H/C/I 347 throw a 100 shot on it..you got an EASY 450 hp car for WAY UNDER 10k then put a grand in the rear end...get a tko 600... do a nice MM suspension torque boxes is a first thing to do..sub frames....next get it painted BLACK ok get some pony wheels...sleeper looking on the out side.. FOR UNDER 20K you got your self one hell of a car that will eat just about anything you run into.oh and invest in some drag radials..dont do any of that bull ~~~~ roll racing..thats for imports...traction is a big thing on the streets that will make or break ya.

Back