Bakersfield reflections.....

GONE14S

Well after getting a cup of coffee and checking out my glo- in the dark sun burnt face I thought I sit here and write a book...sorry.

To Jim. If it had not been for your calling out the S/CAL guys to race, this meet may have never takin place. Thumbs up to you Sir!
So lets begin...
N/Cals day started with Jim Sr calling me on the cell phone and telling me that Jim Sr and Jr where having big problems and was not going to show up at Rudys hide away and go to the meet.
DIE Jim Sr DIE! It was a poor joke.LOL Once Jim Sr and Jr showed up we got on the road. Jim Sr in front with Jr,s car on the trailer. We all got in line behind him for a every long 55 mile drive to Bakersfield(8 1/2 hours). As mark said though"All for one and one for all).
Just before we got to Modesto Jim Srs trailer broke a leaf spring(that will teach him a leason for the prank phone call). We spent 2 hours in getting it fix and moved on. It took 8 1/2 hours for all of N/Cal to get to Bakersfield but it was worth every min.

We all got Rooms something to eat and crashed for the rest of the nite( all except Kurt Sunday,Kelly and a few others ,but I'll get to them later). The next morning (at 6:00am) found everyone having breakfeast and heading to the track. Arriving at the track a hour before they opened , again thanks Jim Sr! Which in turn left Jim Jr standing in front of the gate with his hands on the fence saying "open open open", its true I've got the Pic"s. lol

We finally got in and the work began(meaning that Jim went to work on his car right a way) as did the rest of us. We did beat the S/Cal guys to the track,it least by a couple of hours.
When they showed up the fun began. I found that the to groups of people that showed up now became as one family in a very short time. Everyone helping each other,pulling parts off running cars that where not going to race and giving them to the folks that where. This also includes a pair of pants. If thats not family I don't know what is.

Ronsc did set up the matchs between the S/Cal guys and the N/Cal. No records where set but I never saw so many people having a blast like we where. So hears where I'll get to the meat of the meet:.....
Jim D and John S had the two fastest cars at the meet, BUT the whole day left them standing there scratching there heads chasing down the gremlins in the cars all day.
Jim D managed to get his worked out to a point that every time he ran he would improve on his time each time.
The three runns that i saw, he did a 13.80 then 13.60 and 13.30 . He did a fourth run that I did not see.
What ever was wrong with John S car was going to leave him wondering all day. The car just refused to run right. This, even after a few calls to Fred 4.3. We all had our fingers cross John:(.

By the end of the day Jim took the win over everyone with best time of the day. Wasn't record setting . I'm sure with alittle time in testing and tuning it will improve.

Then of course there was Mark and of Course his wife Sue:
I love these two people to death,to watch these two is funner the H@@l. The old man on the track and the wife in the stands trying to tape the race and jumping around like a jumping bean when he kept improving his times every time he ran. Mark I wish you luck on watching that video!:) After all the over time he put in at work and working on his new car in between,you could not remove that smile from his face with a wire brush. He had a blast!

Then of course there's "The Wild Man Kelly", and "The Party Animal, Kurt Sunday",by the way these are your new names!
Kelly brought his wifes cat, with what I'm sure was a feat in its self knowing how she feels about her car.
Kurt S flew to Vegas and came down with Kelly. Now folks when these to get together they bring the level of a meet up a couple of knotchs. Any thing is fair game from there on out.
Kelly and Kurt can put a smile on your face and have you rolling on the floor laughing at any givin time of the day or NITE( you see These guys are just plane nite owls).
These two, are two of the best in in my book. I'm glad the two of you where able to come and join us. I hope to see you soon again. I'm sure Kelly is out washing and waxing that cat right about now.Lol

Then theres Ronsc with what i think is a heart of gold and the whole group of th S/Cal. I can't beleave that we didn't do this a lot sooner than this. I am sure of one thing we need to do this more often, it least twice a year.
Too me there is no lines drawn between the S/N. I now look at all of us here in Cal. as one big family and proud of it. I hope you all feel the same way.

At the end of the day I think everyone had a smile on there face and alot of new friends. On the way home (which took only 4 1/2 hours at 90 mph,no offence Jim Sr) I found myself wishing that the day had not ended and wanting more. I hope we get together as a group again soon, as you see i like this high that I got from Saturday.

I hope you all got home safe and sound.....
I could go on but, I have miss spelled and babbled enough,I'll let someone esle have a turn....

The wife and I had a blast. This was the high light of this summer events....Take care ...
Kurt Sr
PS; We have got lots of pic's and well get them up soon!

My mined is doing a 100mph min

More babbling...in the forum of a suggestion.

As I said in the book I just wrote " I don't want to let this die here"
SSOOOOO.....
lets do two meets .
One we can do here in Sac. and the other in the far south.
I just talked to a friend of mine that works at Sac. race way and they would set aside a weekend that the T-birds would be featured. What this means is that on that weekend we would get all the run time and perks that come as the featured event.
After all the racing is done we could go over to the Hot Rod cafe and lay so much rubber down that they would have to repave the parking lot. This is a must that they ask before leaving.
I would be willing to set this up with know problem,hotels,track,places to eat, work shop for car or two if needed ETC......

Its just a thought,what do you folks think?????
Kurt Sr

Back