Thread: Question for those running headers...

Question for those running headers...

O.K. So I finally started installing the parts that have been collected for longer than some people have owned an SC . While installing roller rockers and changing the VC gaskets, I struggled with those stupid metal heater hose with more brackets to the exhaust manifold than it takes to hold the alternator on!!!

Anyway, it seems to me the header bolt kit doesn't really accommodate those stupid brackets, so what is everyone doing? Eliminate the brackets? Eliminate the entire metal hoses?

I'm considering just running a good quality hose the entire route, maybe covering them in braided steel or convoluted tubing.

Just looking to see what others have done and what worked best. No sense in reinventing the wheel for the millionth time!!!

I have used brass hose splices to extend the stock heater hoses (the ones nicely molded at the back of the motor) and then eliminated the metal lines altogether. Be creative, make them a little longer than necessary, and you'll make spark plug changes at least 50% easier. Just watch that they don't fall down by the headers. You'll need to use something to tie them up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

if you don't mind just cut the backets off . i did'nt like them ,did'nt have to buy anything - but do make sure they dont touch the header

Zip tie the hoses to something and either leave the brackets hang or hack 'em off.

I bent them back and forth until I could weaken the metal enough to cut it with some shears.

Took a little road trip to Summit today...

Got 10' of braided steel hose and some fancy clamps. I'm going to replace the entire lines with the braided steel. I got some spark plug wire looms to bolt to the valve covers and I'm gonna zip tie the lines to them to keep them high and safe. I can just cut the ties when I need access and tie them back afterwards.

Now I'm thinking I may do the same for the rad hoses as well, but I'm not sure what route I'm taking there yet.

All of the brackets can be used with the header bolts and Kooks headers without issue, although Dave is correct that it will make plug changes easier without them in the way. I kept all of the stock hoses just because they are there and they work and I didn't feel like changing them.

Charles