O.E.M. Starter Relay

txsc

Thought I'd bring this up again in case someone has run across a relay in the past few months...

I am looking for an OEM starter relay for my 89 SC. The original is inop, and I have installed an aftermarket piece for the time being. The replacement piece needs to be functional, have the correct P/N (E9TF-11450-AA), be date coded to my vehicle assembly date, and must be in excellent cosmetic condition, comparable to my original (see attached photos).

The date code, shown in photo 4, is P9E8; which decodes as follows:

P = Design level
9 = Year (1989)
E = Month (May)
8 = Day (8th.)

I will take date codes from P9E4 - P9E12. This is within an acceptable production window for my car build date.

As a bonus, if anyone can tell me the significance of the "A2" following the date code, I'd appreciate it. I assume it describes the production line and shift, but can't decide if it means:

A = 1st shift
2 = Line 2

-or-

A = "A" Line
2 = 2nd. shift

For my purposes, it's not important what these two characters read on the starter relay you have.

Thanks,

JD

Attachments

• MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 389
  • MVC-006S.JPG
    MVC-006S.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 358
  • MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 383
  • MVC-004S.JPG
    MVC-004S.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:
If anyone has an 89 parts car, take a look and let me know what you have.

Thanks,

JD

JD
Ive got them as I mentioned but nowhere near the external looks that I am guessing you want.
As I said Ill be happy to send a few you way but they are a little grungy (sp?)

Phil

JD
Ive got them as I mentioned but nowhere near the external looks that I am guessing you want.
As I said Ill be happy to send a few you way but they are a little grungy (sp?)

Phil

What are the date codes? Also, I'm looking for something that will clean up like my original, pictured above. As long as the base plate is in good shape, the rest should clean up.

JD

What are the date codes? Also, I'm looking for something that will clean up like my original, pictured above. As long as the base plate is in good shape, the rest should clean up.

JD

I'll check my stash tomorrow and let you know.

S

Dredging this thread up one more time. Maybe someone has come across a relay per my request in the last few months...

Thanks,

JD

if your stuck on the original why can't you take it somewhere and get it fixed?

If you have a source that will rebuild my original, I'd LOVE to have the contact information. That was my first choice, but I was unable to locate a service.

Thanks!

JD

JD, I have a relay but it is not quite the code you were looking for. It ia a P9C15A1. I will check my other car later this weekend.

JD, I have a relay but it is not quite the code you were looking for. It ia a P9C15A1. I will check my other car later this weekend.

Thanks for the response. That's the closest date I've found so far. After you check your other one, let me know which date is closer, and shoot me a couple of photos. I'll P/M you my email address.

Thanks!

JD

its just a relay!

why not get a new relay and use the current relay housing? or you can even paint the numbers on the new relay??

I don't get the point.

its just a relay!

why not get a new relay and use the current relay housing? or you can even paint the numbers on the new relay??

I don't get the point.

I'm keeping my car date-code correct, since it's such an original and well-preserved example. It is a long-term "keeper" for my collection, and is being used as a reference car for an OFS manual that I'm writing for the VTCI. It is essentially "retired" from use.

I have a replacement starter relay on the car now. Although it looks correct to the casual observer, it has a few discrepancies (extra small terminal, no logo, no P/N, no date code). If it were possible to easily swap the original housing onto a new coil assembly, I'd go for that, but it is a riveted assembly. If disassembled, I'd need to be able to duplicate the original rivet style.

The logo, P/N, and date coding are all laser-engraved onto the black phenolic relay body, and can't be duplicated with paint. While it IS possible to laser engrave a generic black relay, it would need to be correct in all other details. And then, the graphics would have to be duplicated to present the correct appearance when engraved.

So, the path of least resistance for now is to try and find a decent used one that reflects the right markings. Since this car is rarely driven, a functioning used one should last indefinately. And, I'll be picking up other originals as I find them. Eventually, it may become necessary to try and replicate date-coded originals as is being done with some electrical components in the muscle car restoration hobby now.

So, the short answer, is that I'm preserving this car in original condition, and want the correct part to keep it right.

Thanks,

JD

Back