TRACK DAY this Saturday, August 31st at St. Thomas

Bill McNeil

Gentlemen,

We will be heading to St. Thomas this Saturday for some 1/4 mile racing. This event is time trials only, so we are assured plenty of track time. Cost is normally $15 per person to enter and/or race. Time slips WILL be issued. (EDIT) COST THIS SATURDAY WILL BE $3O TO RACE---------$10 PER PERSON EXTRA. Time trails will be from 10:00am to 5:00pm. Looks like they are having qualifying on this day for a big event they are holding on Sunday. I've called the track, no answer....yet.

The only toss-up right now is where we meet, what time we meet and what route we will take to get there. Please post to get the bal rolling as to what everyone wants to do. As far as attendance, I will post those that have already confirmed attendance with me, and others can post there intent to join us. Below is the link to the St. Thomas website for further info.

http://www.stthomasdragway.com/index.html

Confirmed participants:

-myself
-Sean Matteson
-Ed Nicholson
-Greg Coleman
-Steve Pathay
-Steve Richards
-Ryan Harris
-Les Borda & son
-Jim Prince
-Andrew Vengust
-Kendra Tahk

East/West meeting places coming soon.

Last edited:
Guys I'm not going to go via Hamilton on Saturday. Heading straight east on the 401, if you guys want we could meet up at the first service center past where 403 joins 401 by the CAMI plant in Ingersol. I think there is an Esso service center just past that...I hope memory serves me correct but I could be wrong.

If Nick is here then it is a major task to get him up in the mornings so by the time I do we'll have to head straight out there. Anyone is welcome to join me or do the Hamilton thing.

All roads lead to Sparta....LOL.

I called my buddy Mike Bennett, who is one of the organizers of the OSCA street car shootout that is running this weekend at St. Thomas. He tells me that on Saturday, their qualifiying will be run at two hour intervals, and it takes about 1 hour each time through. So that means we should have several 2 hour time slots over the course of the day to make time trial runs.

But I do think we need to work out a route that will avoid the major highways if possible ... this is a long weekend, and 401 could be a nightmare with people heading toward the U.S.

cheers
Ed N.

Les if you don't mind I would like to meet up with you guys somewhere in the city, I live at 401/DVP. I have never been to St Thomas and I don't care to get lost.:confused:

Steve,

We can work something out to meet oout our end first. Details to follow as soon as everyone jumps on the band-wagon here.

Steve I'm at Warden and Sheppard so I am really close to you.

There's a Coffee Time on the North East corner of Victoria Park and Sheppard, I can meet you there for 8:00am and then we should blow. It's a 2.5 hour run or so without any insane traffic.

The only other route is using Hwy 3, and having lived on that road for many years as a youngin it stinks, it hits every one hole town there is all the way to Sparta. At 8:00am the 401 out of Toronto should be smooth sailing.

By the way have BBQ will travel. I'll bring my portable propane jobby along as well as several packs of those giant Schneiders BBQ hot dogs, buns, mustard, relish, ketchup, onions ,ice etc.

If someone can get some disposable cups,small paper plates and paper towel that would help. Another person grab some 2 litre bottles of Pepsi.Coke or whatever, oh yes and some Diet versions for the diabetic fat guy...lol.

If we want there is a GREAT restuarant/bar/grill that Jimmy Gravel(arr arr) and I stumbled upon when we were there in St Thomas.
Fabulous food, not cheap about par with other places, nice atmosphere, cute waitress...(grin), we could do the chow thing after the track.

Last edited:
Sounds good Les, I'm up for another BBQ anytime. That should give us a break between qualifying rounds.

I'm up for dinner after also. Won't be a late night with the track closing at 5:00pm.

So what heck is the deal with the track, i'm not sure I follow. There are time trials, for us, then "other" cars are running some shoot out? please tell me more.

Bill I extended an invite to my buddy with a '89 supra. I hope that's o.k.

Les,
I'm way north of the city, and I just want to follow somebody, because the last time I was in St. Thomas, it was a nightmare. I know how to get to Vic Park and Sheppard, and since I would be taking the 404 down to the 401, anyway, it's not really out of my way to meet you guys at the Coffee Time. I think that's a good idea.

Kendra.

Bill, please consider this post as my confirmation to attend this weekend.
Also, i'm not sure how much more PC time i've got this week, I want to get the Capri "road worthy", so can someone PLEASE call me to let me know where/when to meet??? The idea of meeting locally first is very appealing, but I can meet you guys along the highway, if you're starting at east-end.
Where ever, whenever, however i'm sure we'll figure it out.
Thanx!

Andrew & Kendra,

I have added you to the confirmed list.

Les,

Please confirm what we will need to bring/organize to have a BBQ at the track. This will nicely substitute having to buy 2 meals on Saturday.

Everyone,

I think Les, Steve P, Steve R, Andrew, Kendra and myself will meet up at an eastern point of the city, and Greg, Ed and Ryan can converge in the west. We can all meet Sean at the first service station after the 403 on the 401 (Esso station/food)

PLEASE SUBMIT MEETING PLACE IDEAS ASAP!

Hi gang!

I think there's a service station with a Tim Horton's right on the 401 just after the 403 joins in (going westbound). I think that will be the best place to meet. There is a Tim's near the 403 in Ancaster in case some of the more western guys wish to meet there first.

What's up with the BBQ at the track? What can I bring?

Cheers,

Sean

Sean,

Les is bringing his portable propane BBQ. We'll have to get movving on who brings what. The meeting place you mentioned sounds fine. What about a time?

How early are YOU willing to get up on Saturday??? ;)

Seriously though, what time do we all want to be at the track by? I'm not sure we'll be able to travel as quickly as the last time you and I made that trip, Bill.

Cheers,

Sean

I would like to leave my area at around 8:00am. That should put us in London at around opening time.

What time will that put us at the Esso? The Tim Hortons is on the eastbound side and we are heading west, no?

I think there's a Tim's on the westbound side at Woodstock. The other Tim's that you're thinkin' of is the one that we stopped at on the way home the last time. That one was still a little west of Woodstock. I'm not sure how long it takes for you to get to Woodstock, but if you can let me know a time, I'll meet you at Woodstock.

Cheers,

Sean

Les is used to going out that way, so we'll have to ask him about an ETA from 404/401 to that point.

Looks like I have Les, myself and Steve on board for 8:00 at the Tim Horton's near us. (Vic Park & Sheppard)

Just as a reference, it took me around one hour at non-nutbar speed to go from Hwy 401 & 10 in Mississauga to Ingersoll a few weeks ago, just past Woodstock. So to be safe with long weekend traffic, you better count on 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours to there from 404 / 401.

cheers
Ed N.

Back