Thread: belts - what brand do you use

belts - what brand do you use

Hi guys... quick question:

What brand of belts would you use on your stock SC? I read about belt slip, and i'm suspecting that it might be my case right now... Since mine are old and dry I, was going to buy the dealer ones, but after reading here, it doesn't seem a popular choice. now i'm hesitating.

In my case, stock SC, won't boost over 8 psi, any RPM. boost leaks were all fixed by pressurizing the air intake (had a bad one on the lower intercooler tubing, but now fixed)

note that it's the first time i'm driving the car since i bought it with a seized engine and just replaced it

(I'm also planning to get the MP springs... seems to be helpful)

thanks for you advices

Hi Rick,

I have tried belts from Autozone, Advance Auto, etc. However, I have had the best results (particularly in ease of fit) with belts from the Ford dealership.

In my case, the belts from Ford were as cheap or cheaper than the aftermarket ones.

O'Reilly Auto parts carries some Motorcraft parts (plugs/wires, etc.) but I don't know if they carry belts.

Best Regards,

Ted

I've had good luck with Goodyear Gatorback belts, but others can't stand them. Gates is another brand that is popular.
    Kurt K (e-mail)
    SCCoA Member #: 443
    '92 SC AOD -- 11.521s @ 116.748mph, 2.0 AR power
    . . . . . . . . . -- 13.547s @ 101.01 mph, only w/ bolt-ons
    '95 SC 5spd -- All Stock, except 17" Simmons wheels.
    '90 SC 35th Anny 5spd -- 3rd owner, 16k miles
    2 '89 XR7 5spd's -- on their way out, really!

i like the one gatorback belt i have on my car, for the supercharger...never seem to have problems with it.

As Kurt said either goodyear gatorback or gates.The goodyears you can get at auto zone and the gates from napa.

Jay

Belts

Goodyear Gatorbacks are the only way to fly.

I used dayco poly cogs on all 3 belts. The supercharger would slip horribly. Now i just use the dayco on the serpentine and whatever brand napa has for the supercharger belts. They arent cogged so there is more contact between the pullies and belts.
    -89 White 5-speed-
    320HP 314TQ
    My garage

I have a 5% over drive blower pully and had lots of problems with belt slipping with the Ford belt. I have used the Gatorbacks and currently have the blower belt from NAPA, can't remember what it's called but it does not slip at all.

Gatorback belts are pretty good

Only problem I had was they don't seem to have much stretch to 'em. I was flogging my SC pretty hard on the highway one evening and I snapped the SC belt. Thing looked like a road kill rattlesnake on a hot Texas highway
    Had to limp home with no boost. Car still ran pretty strong, though!!

I have Goodyear Gatorbacks on the jackshaft and supercharger. They look like the cogged Daycos but I have not had any slippage so far - with ~6,000 miles on them. I have always had problems with these belts cracking prematurely using the conventional designs. So we will see how these hold up.

Everyone that is using napa belts and talking good about them is because napa belts are made by gates even the ones with the napa stamp on them.Then there upgraded belts are gates green stripes.Just f/y/i

Jay

I've shredded a fairly new gatorback serpentine and jackshaft belt. Don't ask me how because I have no idea. I used to think they were the bomb. The newer duralast belts at autozone look to be made pretty well. I may try them next.

Thanks guy for these feedback!