New Exhaust System - Disappointed

SuperDad

I just had a complete exhaust manifold back system installed. 2.5 from the manifolds, to magnaflow high flow cats into a magnaflow resinator, 3 inch out, split into 2.5 to Borla PRO XS Mufflers.
It sounds soooo ricey. Mostly inside the car. I'm not sure if it's a drone inside, but it's very loud, (annoying). I thought putting in the resonator eliminates the drone (from what I've read on this site). My muffler shop guy said, if we remove the resonator, that might eliminate the drone inside. What do you guys think.:(

thats the exact opposite of what you want to do... ask them to do an 'x' pipe after the res.. and get some magnaflow or flowmaster muffs... borla will sound kinda ricey. i'd also say go for a smaller diameter pipe.. maybe 2 1/4 all the way.

i agree, removing the resonator will cause a strong ricey sound, it must be those borlas causing the drone because the rest of your setup is a popular pick for most owners....i have the same setup with dynomax super turbo muffs

i agree, removing the resonator will cause a strong ricey sound, it must be those borlas causing the drone because the rest of your setup is a popular pick for most owners....i have the same setup with dynomax super turbo muffs

I said the same thing to the shop guy & he doesn't think it's the mufflers. I feel it is the mufflers. I know this maybe crazy, but, would putting the stock mufflers back on, get rid of the noise. I wanted a deeper sounding exhaust, but at this point I would take the stock (no noise sound) back.:cool:

The stock mufflers are not all that bad and they will sound much better. That's the cheap way out. The other option is to get some turbo style mufflers. Borla's typically do not sound good on our cars unless you manage to stuff the really long ones under there.

I hope I can get the stock ones back before they get thrown out! I don't necessarily have a problem replacing the mufflers with some turbos, but I would hate to do that and have the same sound the same.

On my 90 auto with SPC hi flow cats into a magnaflow resinator with a 2.25 flow master force II it sounds excellent until I get it up around 65-75mph. With "Fat Butt" :eek: in the car it gets louder in the cocpit but mellows out at 80. When I'm by myself from 80 to 120 it sounds wicked nice. :D I haven't gone beyond that.

On my 90 auto with SPC hi flow cats into a magnaflow resinator with a 2.25 flow master force II it sounds excellent until I get it up around 65-75mph. With "Fat Butt" :eek: in the car it gets louder in the cocpit but mellows out at 80. When I'm by myself from 80 to 120 it sounds wicked nice. :D I haven't gone beyond that.

How loud is it inside under normal driving? Do you hear any sound? (or minimal noise?)

Normal, what do you mean :p normal? From 0-55 it's throaty and beyond that until I hit 80 I turn up the radio to drown out the drone.

I will have to drive it some more to see if if it's ricey or throaty! I really think it's ricey though. It reminds me of Honda Civic cruising by me. Ricey, Huh?:confused:

I will have to drive it some more to see if if it's ricey or throaty! I really think it's ricey though. It reminds me of Honda Civic cruising by me. Ricey, Huh?:confused:
Personally I cringe when I hear that sound. You better not let the cops hear it either. You may get a ticket just because it sounds like one. :D

Let me get some opinions.........
Should I go with the (almost) sure thing & put the stock ones back on?
Or, go with a Turbo style, (flowmaster ect.)?
I originally went with the Borla's because they were supposed to be a little quieter than the Turbo style. I'm all confused now:rolleyes:

Let me get some opinions.........
Should I go with the (almost) sure thing & put the stock ones back on?
Or, go with a Turbo style, (flowmaster ect.)?
I originally went with the Borla's because they were supposed to be a little quieter than the Turbo style. I'm all confused now:rolleyes:

The ability of a muffler to be quiet is a function of size. A bigger muffler is quieter. There are big Borla's and there are small Borla's. I don't know if you want to spend the money to try the bigger Borla's or not. It seems to me that the stock mufflers are probably right up your alley.

The ability of a muffler to be quiet is a function of size. A bigger muffler is quieter. There are big Borla's and there are small Borla's. I don't know if you want to spend the money to try the bigger Borla's or not. It seems to me that the stock mufflers are probably right up your alley.

Thanks, I tend to agree. I also went with the smaller mufflers so they would fit up their nicer, rather than going sideways. Next question, should I utilize the stock ones he took off (120K on them), or get some new aftermarket ones?

If the ones taken off are just fine, well use them. if they have stuff loose inside, or are old enough you think they might need to be replaced soon, replace them.

My bet is that most of your drone is due to down turns in the exhaust pipe. The high frequency sound bounces off the ground and comes into the cabin. Have them try to aim the down turns back and not so straight down. When I get more time I'm gonna have mine run out the back through the valance.

And yes, 19" borla minimum for a decent sound, and a Stainless steel muffler like that is gonna be a waste if you're not also doing the rest of the system in stainless steel.

A generic turbo muffler replacement at most exhaust shops won't be that bad either.

If the ones taken off are just fine, well use them. if they have stuff loose inside, or are old enough you think they might need to be replaced soon, replace them.

My bet is that most of your drone is due to down turns in the exhaust pipe. The high frequency sound bounces off the ground and comes into the cabin. Have them try to aim the down turns back and not so straight down. When I get more time I'm gonna have mine run out the back through the valance.

And yes, 19" borla minimum for a decent sound, and a Stainless steel muffler like that is gonna be a waste if you're not also doing the rest of the system in stainless steel.

A generic turbo muffler replacement at most exhaust shops won't be that bad either.

Makes sense & you are right about the down pipes, they turn straight down. He did that so the fumes would not get caught up in the bumper & get in the cabin! I wonder if I could put some temporary pipe extensions on, to test your theory! Thanks:rolleyes:

I too have the same problem.

The previous owner removed the resonator and added some local (?) brand of muffler (V force http://www.flopro.com/VForce.htm).

The drone at 2000 rpm (aka 120km/hr) is bad, especially for an outside salesman. Would the re-addition of the resonator help?

sean

I too have the same problem.

The previous owner removed the resonator and added some local (?) brand of muffler (V force http://www.flopro.com/VForce.htm).

The drone at 2000 rpm (aka 120km/hr) is bad, especially for an outside salesman. Would the re-addition of the resonator help?

sean

I'm not sure if the resonator is helping me at this point, I will keep you posted on any changes I make to my system.

I had an exhaust with stock mufflers and no resonator and high flow cats and it was very ricey sounding..Sounded liek an accord on roids.

I would hate to see you spend some extra dough to still be dissapointed. A dynomax turbo muffler or any cheap turbo muffler will quiet it down substantially I feel. At liek 15 $ a pop its better then ading stock back on which in my experience do little muffling.

Interestingly enough my current SC has a flowmaster resonator and it sounds great..High flow cats kooks headers flowmaster resonator and dynomax..Reall quiet..Still get a buzz but a low frequency one

I have a video of my car on here..You can here the exhaust

http://www.motortopia.com/garage/cars/Xmetalgodnyc

Turbo's, Stainless or aluminized, are you talking chambered mufflers or "flow through"? Let me tell you; The straight through mufflers sound good at idle and thats about it, unless your pimping mods, in which case it will sound like an angry chainsaw on crack.

Back