New Exhaust System - Disappointed

HeHe. Thanks Ken! The insurance Co. paid off for the accident, so I banged the sheetmetal back in place myself and am spending the money on more goodies:D Big aluminum RAD (with polished tanks, of course!) pulleys, etc. More underhood bling is on the way.
Back to the thread topic.
What superdad is going through is EXACTLY why I'm terrified to replace the back of the exhaust. Some of the guys are telling me that the stock single pipe and mufflers are too restrictive, but it doesn't seem to be (I lost three pound of boost at the top when I installed the resonator). And the sound is spot on with the stock mufflers. Too many guys spend $300-$500 from the res back and then HATE the sound, even if it does flow well

Daspanka

If I had to do it again I would have probably just replaced the front end of the exhaust system, including the resinator, then hooked up somewhere with the stock system. Good news with this new exaust system I have now, I seem to have gained a couple of extra pounds of boost, (odd, I thought I would loose some boost with the free flowing exhaust).

Too bad you figured this out so quickly. It would have been a priceless sight to see an SC cruising down the highway with beer cans for exhaust tips:D
Hey, that would really throw the ricers off. Instead of "Fart cans", Bud light cans:p

Yes, that would have been funny, but I think an even funnier sight would have been me cruising down the street with 3 feet of grey PVC as exhaust tips!!!!:eek:

Yes, that would have been funny, but I think an even funnier sight would have been me cruising down the street with 3 feet of grey PVC as exhaust tips!!!!:eek:

Alright, you've got to stop this:p
I almost pi$$ed my pants laughing about the Bud Light exhaust tips. Now I just blew tea through my nose when I read this:D
Hey, you better watch it, with beer cans and PVC pipe hooked up to the back of your car, the cops will think you're from Alabama:p (Damn, did I just hear the Deliverence banjo's)
If we could just figure out a way to rig up a pair of Jack Daniels bottles. Hmm......

Maybe you can try some of those flattened, rectangular tips. That might let you get it out back without giving up too much ground clearance or cutting the valance (they are so hard to come by, I wouldn't do it). Hey, why not get some roofing tin and fab some up?

Alright, you've got to stop this:p
I almost pi$$ed my pants laughing about the Bud Light exhaust tips. Now I just blew tea through my nose when I read this:D
Hey, you better watch it, with beer cans and PVC pipe hooked up to the back of your car, the cops will think you're from Alabama:p (Damn, did I just hear the Deliverence banjo's)
If we could just figure out a way to rig up a pair of Jack Daniels bottles. Hmm......

Back in the day I use to patch the exhaust of my 1971 MGB with tin can containers and the window washer fluid was a 16oz bottle of Genesee Cream Ale.

Maybe you can try some of those flattened, rectangular tips. That might let you get it out back without giving up too much ground clearance or cutting the valance (they are so hard to come by, I wouldn't do it). Hey, why not get some roofing tin and fab some up?

Victor has some somewhat flattened oval shaped tips for only $10. Heavy chrome too. I just bought a set from his ebay store.

Daspanka

Thanks guys, that's some good stuff there, I will be on the lookout for some tips. I saw a picture on another thread were the guy cut out ovals in the center of the valance. I definately don't want to go to that extreme. I'd prefer not to cut anything, but maybe as suggested, get some flattened tips & do just a little modifying:cool:

I am having second thoughts about the air flowing out the rear. I used the beer can trick & I did notice a bigger difference in noise. I did not take it for a drive yet, but I am going an auto part store, get some flexable pipe & put it on. The beer cans only extended it a little bit (an inch past the bumper), so I want to see if going out a little farther makes a bigger difference. Does anyone have pictures of exhausts, through the bumpers?

I dont think extending your exhaust back will completely get rid if the drone. In my case it didnt, It will help a little. Dave is right about the stock muffler being a little more restricive. I didnt know the stock muffler was free flowing in design from the factory. Learn something everyday. I remember the stock mufflers being 2", I could be wrong about that. Anyway I felt that big 21/2" stock mufflers woud still be an improvement to the little mufflers. My system is headers with 21/2" pipes all the way with the center 3". My car also sounds great, in my opinion. I doubt that my mufflers create a problem to a free flowing exhaust. If my engine starts cranking out 437 RWHP like some claims:rolleyes: I might revisit my muffler claim and upgrade. Here are a few pictures of the tips on mine. I fabricated the tips myself as I could find tips like I wanted. And tips that I did like somewhat were ungodly expensive. The pictures are not the best as I had to resize them.

Ken

Attachments

• rEAR1.jpg
    rEAR1.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 180
  • rEAR TIP.jpg
    rEAR TIP.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 170
i heard the most awesome exhaust on a capri last night... he transplanted a cougar 3.8 into it... he had mustang shorty headers, 2" downtubes
(no cats) h-pipe, 19" flowmaster resonators... straight back to borla tips.... it sounded SICK.. nice and quiet at idle.. a decent throaty growl at wot... definitely wat i'm gonna go with.

I dont think extending your exhaust back will completely get rid if the drone. In my case it didnt, It will help a little. Dave is right about the stock muffler being a little more restricive. I didnt know the stock muffler was free flowing in design from the factory. Learn something everyday. I remember the stock mufflers being 2", I could be wrong about that. Anyway I felt that big 21/2" stock mufflers woud still be an improvement to the little mufflers. My system is headers with 21/2" pipes all the way with the center 3". My car also sounds great, in my opinion. I doubt that my mufflers create a problem to a free flowing exhaust. If my engine starts cranking out 437 RWHP like some claims:rolleyes: I might revisit my muffler claim and upgrade. Here are a few pictures of the tips on mine. I fabricated the tips myself as I could find tips like I wanted. And tips that I did like somewhat were ungodly expensive. The pictures are not the best as I had to resize them.
Ken

Ken,

Thanks for the input, Your exhaust tips look GREAT, I would be very happy with that look. Definately the cleanest job I've seen. I like that square look. I'm wondering, did you put them on after you had a noise problem, or did you put them on right away for the look? If so, did you notice a difference in cabin noise? By chance, do you have any pictures of under the muffler, where the tips connect to the muffler?
You mentioned you have 2-1/2 stock mufflers, did you get them from Ford? You are right about the stock mufflers that came on the car, they are 2". How long are your mufflers?

Jim

The stock mufflers are not all that bad and they will sound much better. That's the cheap way out. The other option is to get some turbo style mufflers. Borla's typically do not sound good on our cars unless you manage to stuff the really long ones under there.

That's what I have. Magnaflow cats and resonator and stock mufflers. No drone and no rice. I little louder than stock. I love it. :D

Last edited:
Ken,

Thanks for the input, Your exhaust tips look GREAT, I would be very happy with that look. Definately the cleanest job I've seen. I like that square look. I'm wondering, did you put them on after you had a noise problem, or did you put them on right away for the look? If so, did you notice a difference in cabin noise? By chance, do you have any pictures of under the muffler, where the tips connect to the muffler?
You mentioned you have 2-1/2 stock mufflers, did you get them from Ford? You are right about the stock mufflers that came on the car, they are 2". How long are your mufflers?

Jim

I did have dual round stainless steel tips that I made but hated the look. I did not get rid of the drone by puttin the tips pointing straight back. It wasnt untill I put the the 21/2" generic mufflers on that it went away entirely. I felt that if I couldnt enjoy the inside of the car while driving, big HP wouldnt mean a thing. I just bought mufflers from carquest that were approximately the same length as stock. I dont beleive I give much up on performace. From what I was led to beleive the further a restriction is down stream from the engine the less the restriction affects HP. Example the stock cast manifolds, if not ported will restrict more than stock mufflers at the rear of the exhaust system. Regardless if anyone else agrees with that. I would sacrifice a few ponys for a quite exhaust note in the cabin. Besides I would rather hear the wine of the blower over a ratty sounding exhaust note anyday. I dont have any pictures of the underside of the exhaust except my down tubes that I built. And thats another story

Ken

I did have dual round stainless steel tips that I made but hated the look. I did not get rid of the drone by puttin the tips pointing straight back. It wasnt untill I put the the 21/2" generic mufflers on that it went away entirely. I felt that if I couldnt enjoy the inside of the car while driving, big HP wouldnt mean a thing. I just bought mufflers from carquest that were approximately the same length as stock. I dont beleive I give much up on performace. From what I was led to beleive the further a restriction is down stream from the engine the less the restriction affects HP. Example the stock cast manifolds, if not ported will restrict more than stock mufflers at the rear of the exhaust system. Regardless if anyone else agrees with that. I would sacrifice a few ponys for a quite exhaust note in the cabin. Besides I would rather hear the wine of the blower over a ratty sounding exhaust note anyday. I dont have any pictures of the underside of the exhaust except my down tubes that I built. And thats another story

Ken

Perfect, you just made my decision for me. I'm going to get some more restrictive (stock type) mufflers and put them on. Leads me to another question, Do I need tips on the back if I go with this style muffler? What kind of muffler should I look for? Are you talaking about turbo style mufflers? How did you fabricate your tips? What material did you start with?

Perfect, you just made my decision for me. I'm going to get some more restrictive (stock type) mufflers and put them on. Leads me to another question, Do I need tips on the back if I go with this style muffler? What kind of muffler should I look for? Are you talaking about turbo style mufflers? How did you fabricate your tips? What material did you start with?

I would not think you need the tips if you go with a stock type muffler. The original exhaust has no drone or tips. I installed a set of turbo type mufflers they were terrible in my experence. I went to the bigger 21/2" stock type muffler as I thought that size does make a diffrence and would negate the slightly more restrictive design. I used mandrel bend elbows, cut and shaped them to tips I made from 10 GA mild steel and formed in a hydralic bender. I have had over 35 years as a fabricator welder as well as a fully equipped shop to tinker in, so I am a little ahead of the average guy on the street. I am amazed at the great work some of the guys turn out in this club with little equipment and experence. One thing though, cutting through the lower valance under the bumper to run tips through is a hit and miss thing. It is easy to cut the material and very hard to make it look right. You will see what I mean if you decide to go that way

Ken

Ken, very helpful. By the way I just bought a flexible 2.5" exhaust pipe repair kit at Auto Zone with 2 clamps. I mocked a couple of tips sticking out 2to 3 inches past my bumper. It really doesn't look that bad, (for what it is). I would never leave it that way, but it gives me a good idea what it would look like with some perminent chrome tips. Getting sidetracked a little bit there, but the sound improvement was definately better. I would say about 50%. If the system sounded this way from the git-go, I may have lived with it, but after hearing the louder, current version, I definately want it quieter. So I will stick to the plan, get some 2.5" stock mufflers (no turbo) & just use the down pipes (no cutting of my bumper). I think that will be the safest bet going!:)
Thanks again, Ken, its nice to get feedback from someone who has had the exact same problem, makes life much easier.

Jim

Strange, i had a very similar setup to what you had. Ported manifolds, Dual 2.5 into a dual in dual out magnflow res, dual borla pro xs out the back with magnaflow tips. I do have the longer ones though. My car sounds good to me. Not ricey at all. I will see if I can get a sound clip to post.

What did you do

Super Dad
What did you end up doing with your exhaust system and did it work? I have a 95 SC and 2.5x3x2.5 with dynomax super turbo mufflers instead of the Borlas and I am having the same problem you did. Outside it sounds great inside it will drive you mad, a little acceleration and you can not hear the radio. I did extend the tail pipe a little and it helped but my mufflers are so close to the bumper I can not make a sharp “S” turn like would be require to shoot it straight out the back. Like you I do not want to cut the bumper, that is not an option.
If you when to stock type, what did you get (Model and PN) because 2 ½ is not stock?

By the way with ported manifolds did the engine seem to run hotter?

The stock mufflers are not all that bad and they will sound much better. That's the cheap way out. The other option is to get some turbo style mufflers. Borla's typically do not sound good on our cars unless you manage to stuff the really long ones under there.

I'm sorry folks but I disagree. I put on the Borla cat-back system in 2002 which included the Borla resonator plus small mufflers. It is anything but ricey. It is the most growl you are going to get out of a V6.

Back