Super charger Vs Turbos

super charger Vs unlimited turbo size.

• Total voters

Randy N Connie

SC XR7s and SCbirds 90 cubic inch superchargers
With a 3.8 SC stock long block with all the bolt-ons avalible.

Do you feel it would be a fair competition to compete against
UNLIMITED SIZE turbocharger or twin turbochargers.
In dragracing.

Yes or No.

Thanks Randy

Last edited:
racing is racing but a turbo setup will blow the doors off a supercharger application in the 3.8 liter, in the top fuel application the blowers are FINALLY making a comback and giving the turbo's a run for thier money but in our case, tubro will win. Myself, I am a Roots blower supporter for life :D

No a properly setup turbo system on an SC will blow the doors off any blown SC regardless iif it's mpx,ar equipped or otherwise.

Jay

I think it depends on the racing application. 1/8th or from a stand still the supercharged car might have the advantage. 1/4 or from a 60mph roll turbo car all day long.

Personally I like turbo cars better than supercharged but since my new SC has a motor more than twice the size of my turbo car I think it will be fun still :)

-Lou

I don't think it would be fair to require one car to have the limitations of an M90 and stock long block with bolt ons and the other car be able to run an unlimited forced induction.

However, I think we should encourage people to innovate ways of making Supercoupes faster. If you're refering to Shootout rules, I'm thinking turbos should be in the MOD classes in the appropriate indexes. Definately not in any of the stock classes.

Everybody pretty much knows what an AR can do over an M90 given whatever bolt-on or level of modification. Having said that, it wouldn't be fair to compare an M90 running 20psi to a motor running a ball bearing T-76 with 20psi. Boost isn't just boost.

Whenever people go about comparisons between a blower and a turbo they end up making a complete apples to oranges comparison. "Oh my M90 only ran 13.80's so i built a good shortblock and put a T-88 on it running 35psi with methanol as fuel, etc..etc..." Yeah this is about a stock longblock, but I was just sayin....

If a supercharger doesn't make as much power as a certain turbo, then all it means is it's in need of a larger, or more efficient supercharger. You would do the same with swapping turbo's, no? Superchargers rely more on the volume of the whole intake system (heads and intake manifold) to make power, whereas a turbo will band-aid lack thereof.

In the Big Block world, not exactly drag racing, people think of turbos and superchargers as equals. Put an 8-71 on your 800HP NA Big Block Chevy running 10psi and make 1500rwhp. Same with a certain sized turbo.

Before someone makes a rash conclusion about the two, compare apples-to-apples. The difference between each unit isn't what they are, it's the difference in volumetric efficiency, which is a direct correlation of adiabatic efficiencies.

I tuned a 92 mustang at 49 performance on hwy 49 in mississippi last weekend, at 1100 rpm it made 16# of boost and at 2900rpm it made 30+# of boost (maxed out the gauge)

its a stock block 302 stroked to a 331 with a 76mm turbo on it

his wategate boost reference line was hooked up on the top of the gate and not on the side :eek: if it wasn't for the crappy loading of the dyno dynamics dyno's and the fact that his 4r70w wasn't locking up it would have split the block almost guaranteed

but any who a properly sized turbo will out boost a properly sized supercharger hands down, I've tuned countless boosted cars and the turbo cars always make more low end torque than the supercharged cars ALWAYS, this isn't my opinion this is in my experiences

weight is the equalizer. makes no difference what power adder or size engine it is. put some weight on the "faster" car and it all equalizes in the end.

Back