View Poll Results: What motor oil do you run?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mobil 1 10w30

22 19.30%
  • Mobil 1 5w30

21 18.42%
  • Mobil 1 20w40

5 4.39%
  • Canola

3 2.63%
  • Other

63 55.26%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Poll What Oil do you guys Run and what are your average OAT

I have 158k on my engine. But I take very good care of my car and never beat on it. At what point and condition should I use thicker lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash00527 View Post
    I have 158k on my engine. But I take very good care of my car and never beat on it. At what point and condition should I use thicker lol.
    Manny keep using The AMSOIL you are using. You are using the best oil on the market bar none.
    Red 94 5 Speed
    1 of 722

2014 Carlisle 3rd Place Winner, 94-95 SCs
    2013 Carlisle 1st Place Winner, 94-95 SCs
    2012 Carlisle 2nd Place Winner, 94-95 SCs

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderRoad View Post
    OLDER WORN MOTORS WILL NOT LAST WITH LIGHT OIL OVER TIME WHY DO YOU THINK THAT THEY MAKE " HIGH MILAGE OIL " ???
    Because it is "marketing" to sell more oil.

It is a bold statement to say that "high mileage engines" should not use a lighter viscosity oil because that is just flat not true. It all depends on the quality of the oil and the type and brand of oil that has been used in the engine.

AMSOIL does not sell a "high mileage oil" because of the higher quality of products they make.
    Red 94 5 Speed
    1 of 722

Cool 3 ?????

1 WHAT ISTHE OUTSIDE TEMP U DON,T WANT 2 RUN 2 HEAVY IN WINTER 2 WHAT IS THE PRESSURE AT IDLE AFTER WARM UP 3 WHAT IS THE PRESSURE AT 2000 RPM AFTER WARMUP 1 MORE WHAT IS ENGINE TEMP AT HOT DAYS IN SUMMER ??? ALL THAT IS TO HELP U MAKE CHOICE IN WINTER RUN 10-30 0R 15-40 SUMMER 15-40 WITH SOME LUCAS THICHER VERY HOT 20-50 BTW MY 95 4/6 WAS UNDER 100000 MILAGE USING 5-30 FROM FIRST OWNER USED A QUART A MONTH OR EVERY 500 MILES USED 15-40 NOW MAY ADD AFTER 9 MONTHS OR EVERY 4000 MILES ALSO KEEPS VAVLE GUIDES FROM WEARING DOWN ....ALSO IN MY SC,S I RUN ROYAL PURPLE 15-40 ALL MOTORS HAVE OVER 100000 2 200000 + I ALSO RUN EXTENTED MILES 7000 BE 4 CHANGES MOBILE 1 HAS 15000 MILEAGE OIL AND OTHER LIE WAS TO CHANGE OIL AT 3000 MILES AS NEWER MOTORS RUN CLEANER U DON,T NEED TO CHANGE AS OFTEN MY NEW CAR SAYS EVERY 7500 2 CHANGE

Cool U should do you home work

Quote Originally Posted by rjgraul View Post
    Because it is "marketing" to sell more oil.

It is a bold statement to say that "high mileage engines" should not use a lighter viscosity oil because that is just flat not true. It all depends on the quality of the oil and the type and brand of oil that has been used in the engine.

AMSOIL does not sell a "high mileage oil" because of the higher quality of products they make.
    SORRY U HAVE BEEN FOOLED BTW MY BUDDY WHO USED 2 SELL AMSOIL BLEW HIS MOTOR WITH JUST OVER 10000O MILES HE NOT LONGER SELLS IT WAS CHEVY PASSENGER VAN NEVER BEAT BTW DID U KNOW THAT NASCAR MOTORS RUN LIGHT WT OIL TO GET HIGHER SPEEDS FOR POLE POSITION THEN CHANGE TO THE RIGHT WT FOR RACE !!!!
    Last edited by ThunderRoad; 02-19-2013 at 12:49 PM.

I've used Mobil 1 since in started driving. Than started with amsoil back in 2010. My camaro had an oil leak that i didn't even notice. Engine ran with NO oil for God knows how long and it ran like a champ. It was EMPTY one day when I checked dipstick than pulled oil plug.

Manny keep using The AMSOIL you are using. You are using the best oil on the market bar none.
    I wasn't questioning the brand just the viscosity.

Hey

I just changed the oil in my SC but the "Change Oil" light in my dash is still lit.

Do I need to reset something or is there a sensor thats bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Crash00527 View Post
    I wasn't questioning the brand just the viscosity.
    Stay with the viscosity that you are using. If you are not using a lot of oil there is no reason to change.
    Red 94 5 Speed
    1 of 722

SORRY U HAVE BEEN FOOLED BTW MY BUDDY WHO USED 2 SELL AMSOIL BLEW HIS MOTOR WITH JUST OVER 10000O MILES HE NOT LONGER SELLS IT WAS CHEVY PASSENGER VAN NEVER BEAT BTW DID U KNOW THAT NASCAR MOTORS RUN LIGHT WT OIL TO GET HIGHER SPEEDS FOR POLE POSITION THEN CHANGE TO THE RIGHT WT FOR RACE !!!!
    Was it proven that the oil blew the engine? Most likely not. The engine may have blown due to other issues which is what usually happenes. People almost always think it is the oil's fault that the engine blew because the last thing they did was change the oil or went to a different brand oil.

Most of the time when an engine blows it is usually due to oil starvation, pump broke and or oil not circulating or part failures. I read a report some where that said and engine failure has never happened due the engine oil itself, it has always been something else. Not knowing the whole story about his failure and weather or not the oil was analyzed to see if the oil was still good or not at the time of the failure and weather or not the oil was used per AMSOIL's directions. I can only speculate why it blew. It could have been possible the engine had high mileage when he converted it to AMSOIL and the damage had already been there, this has happen before too. Everyone wants to blame the oil.

I have used AMSOIL for over 30 years and have never had any engine failure and have put over 200,000 miles on one vehicle that used nothing but AMSOIL. So your friend's decision to stop using and selling AMSOIL was most likely not made on a sound reason. I guess he would have stop using Castrol if that was the oil he had been using too Huh.

And by the way did you that a lot of Nascar teams use AMSOIL and yes they use a lighter oil to qualify (a 0W-20 or 5W-20 or lighter) and then use a 20W-50 racing oil to race for up to 500 miles and then the engine is torn down for analysis. But those are Race Engines not a passenger vehicle engine.

It would also be nice if you would not type with just capital letters. That is considered yelling and is hard to read. Just saying
    Red 94 5 Speed
    1 of 722

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_Leuce View Post
    Hey

I just changed the oil in my SC but the "Change Oil" light in my dash is still lit.

Do I need to reset something or is there a sensor thats bad?
    What year SC do you have? I have never seen an oil change light on my 94.
    Red 94 5 Speed
    1 of 722

Yea. I just gonna say the same thing. Do you have the new body style tbird?

Cool Sorry but i have bad eyes

Was it proven that the oil blew the engine? Most likely not. The engine may have blown due to other issues which is what usually happenes. People almost always think it is the oil's fault that the engine blew because the last thing they did was change the oil or went to a different brand oil.

Most of the time when an engine blows it is usually due to oil starvation, pump broke and or oil not circulating or part failures. I read a report some where that said and engine failure has never happened due the engine oil itself, it has always been something else. Not knowing the whole story about his failure and weather or not the oil was analyzed to see if the oil was still good or not at the time of the failure and weather or not the oil was used per AMSOIL's directions. I can only speculate why it blew. It could have been possible the engine had high mileage when he converted it to AMSOIL and the damage had already been there, this has happen before too. Everyone wants to blame the oil.

I have used AMSOIL for over 30 years and have never had any engine failure and have put over 200,000 miles on one vehicle that used nothing but AMSOIL. So your friend's decision to stop using and selling AMSOIL was most likely not made on a sound reason. I guess he would have stop using Castrol if that was the oil he had been using too Huh.

And by the way did you that a lot of Nascar teams use AMSOIL and yes they use a lighter oil to qualify (a 0W-20 or 5W-20 or lighter) and then use a 20W-50 racing oil to race for up to 500 miles and then the engine is torn down for analysis. But those are Race Engines not a passenger vehicle engine.

It would also be nice if you would not type with just capital letters. That is considered yelling and is hard to read. Just saying
    U CAN USE WHAT YOU WANT ...BUT THERE ARE MANY OTHER " GOOD " OILS AS WELL !!!

I don't know about, but I only like using the best not just good. Just my $ .02

U CAN USE WHAT YOU WANT ...BUT THERE ARE MANY OTHER " GOOD " OILS AS WELL !!!
    You are correct. There are many good oils on the market but private lab tests have proven that there are better oils made a little oil company in Superior WI than what the major oil companies produce and if it were not true that little oil co. would not be in business 40 years later.

I had another thought if in fact the AMSOIL product that was in your friend's vehicle actually caused the failure it would have happen in a lot of vehicles and actually that would hold true with any brand of oil.

Also I am not trying to convince you to use AMSOIL.
    I gave that up a long time ago I just state the facts and it is up to that person to decide what they want to use.

Have a Great Day
    Red 94 5 Speed
    1 of 722