Poll What Oil do you guys Run and what are your average OAT

What motor oil do you run?

• Total voters

Danzajax

Im daily drving my SC temporarily while my VW Jetta is getting an enormous 1/4 Lag bolt removed from the tire. I noticed today, with the air on and sitting in traffic, my temps were a little high. Any my oil gauge (converted with a sending unit and jumper wire) would bounce down to 0 :eek::eek:

If i feathered the gas a little it would bounce back up to normal. :confused:
Its freaking hot here in SA (probably 90+ today) and I'm a Northern guy born and raised in Dearborn MI and Colleged in Houghton MI. I'm not used to this heat crap. The car never had oil problems before.

The Connector is on their tight and the engine didn't sound like it was low on oil pressure so it got me thinking. What Viscosity should I be running in this Heat? Oh, my Fan runs all the time (cut wire #14 or whatever it was).

What are you guys running? OAT = Outside Air Temperature.

-DZ

Last edited:
Well we see temps here from 0-104(ish) (like this week with the heat index).

I stay with 5W-30 year round in the 4.6L Sport. The SC is still apart...

I'm a Northern guy born and raised in Dearborn MI and Colleged in Houghton MI.
-DZ

My dad went to MTU up there. I was born there and lived for a few years. Too young to remember it then, but I have been back several times to visit and love it. I haven't seen winter up that way, and everyone says I would change my mind if I ever did. Anyways I lived in Lansing and Jackson for awhile too before my family moved to VA in the early 80's. I still have some relatives in Mancelona (East of Traverse City) and in Jackson. Someday I will return to live in MI. Even my wife loves it up there.

Sorry to take it of topic. Just wanted to share :)

I miss Houghton some days. You might be intimidated by the snow at first, but then you buy a 4x4 Explorer XLT with 235 75R16s and power through it like bull. :p The snow was alot of fun. I miss how clean and pristine it was up there.... lots of places to camp and explore. Sometimes the cabin fever would set in a little thick. San Antonio, by comparison, is dirty and full of litter. I think some day I'd like to go back.

-dz

I run 10W30 Mobil 1 and even on the days where we are seeing 110F with the humidex and driving her hard, at idle I get about 18psi in gear holding about 600RPM. At about 800 RPM's she's already getting 40PSI and anything above 1300 RPM's I'm getting about 60PSI..... Thats with the car at about 200F running temp.

And thats a motor with about 120k miles on her. According to what I've read though, I guess thats really low and I'm gonna blow something up so I should be running Diesel oil.

Oh well.

I run 15-50 Mobil 1 in the summer and 10-40W Castrol Synthetic in the winter. I would run Mobil 1 then too but they don't seem to make that grade in Mobil 1.

10w30 mobil 1 with 95,000 havent had the car in the winter yet, but my plans are not to drive it then, too much salt!! Car ran hot untill i did a complete rad flush and now runs alot cooler

Royal Purple...

or Red line 15-50. Never seen snow, but was driven once in below 20 degree weather to get it to my new house.

Not really 'off-topic' but I had a piece of Catera for a while. My car is my office, so it runs 6 to 9 hours a day, gets started dozens of times a day, idles A LOT!! and spends more time in city driving conditions than anything else to the tune of about 5000 miles a month. Anyway, the Catera would drop oil pressure at ldle into the danger zone and turn the chime and warning light on after running for a while. I changed to 15-50 and it never happened again.

Mobil 1 10W30 full synthetic year round in both of my SC's but as soon as the salt hit's the roads in winter they don't come out of the garage until a few good rains the following spring anyway. I drive the piss out of my SC's at times and no blown head gaskest's to date knock on wood. The 94 was purchased brand new in 94 with 12 miles on the odometer and the 95 was purchased in 97 with 32,000 miles on odometer. Maintenance is key, one example I do a COMPLETE coolant change every spring in both of my SC's. It's a PITA but it sure can't hurt.:D

Best racing oil

I use Kendall 20w50 racing oil in my SC

We also use Kendall 50w racing oil in our 427 racing engines never had any oil issues

Last edited:
I run 15-50 Mobil 1 in the summer and 10-40W Castrol Synthetic in the winter. I would run Mobil 1 then too but they don't seem to make that grade in Mobil 1.

I use 10-40 syn blend yr round, I could swore mobil use to have this grade, but apparently not, so like Duffy i go with castrol. I did use to run a lighter oil, but with the climate here in southeast Texas i would get a drop in oil pressure that i was not comfortable with.

I run....

5W-30 Mobil 1 year round. The 5W-30 is good for winter starts and will provide engine protection up to 100ºF. Since it rarely reaches those temps here (maybe 95 in a heat wave) I don't bother switching grades.

I did run 10W-30 Mobil 1 one time because the store ran out of 5W-30. When the weather turned cold, i was getting alot of Lifter ticking on start up. I changed the oil back to 5W-30 Mobil 1 when the store got more oil and the cold start lifter ticking went away.

Mobil 1 DOES make a 10W-40. It is in a gray bottle with a black label on it and says that it's recommended for European Car brands like BMW and Mercedes.

I also remember reading by Dr. Fred a long time ago that the best grade of oil to run on the street would be the one with the LEAST point spread between extremes. This is why alot of the newer cars are running 5W-20, because it increases fuel efficiency.

That being said, I'm thinking of switching to the new Mobil 1 high mileage to see if I notice any running difference (when and if I get the car back on the road).

I've been running Shell Rotella T oil since I rebuilt the motor in the 93. The 90 is running mobil 1. I believe the Shell is a 15w40.

I was gonna go to a synthetic in the 93 last year, but a nagging oil leak kept me from wanting to waste the more expensive oil. Hope to clear up the oil leak this winter/spring, at which time I'll start running a racing synthetic.

Outside air temps run from morning lows down to 40F (spring/fall) to afternoon highs 90-100F (summer).

Last edited:
Motorcraft syn blend 10W30 !! along with a motorcraft filter!!

best price ever too, outside 80-95 degrees

Back