SCCoA Web Master might need a little extra help

"SCCoA Web Master"

I put this on this forum as there are many non-members that cant see in the Members only forum. It seam as if our Web Master Ron dont have enough time to up-date time slips, dyno numbers, member pages a number of members have ben waiting a year or more now that to me is not right with the growing number of members we have. George needs to pick a person here and there are many with computer experiance that would love to up-date on a weekly deal to help Ron out. Its 2007 time for a change a new outlook better up-dates. I have a post in SCCoA discussion after that post Ron started up-dating members pages why does it take that to have someone up-date things becouse his time is limited? with a club of this number we need quick up-dates and extra help for him

I have nothing persional agenced Ron but things need to change as we are growing quick here. Lets make the future of this club going a positive way maybe submit all people interested to George that may like to help out

Last edited:
We might want to include SPELL CHECK as part of the SCCOA inventory!!!!!!!!!
BTW, I dont approve of unsolicited messages like this on the board. If a member has a problem, then let he/she bring it to the WEB MASTER in another way. I have had a few concerns, addressed them, and they were answered quickly, though not always to my satisfaction. You say you put it on this forum so the non-members could see it. I think you did it for another selfish reason. I dont know you, nor do I care who you are. An attack such as this, in this way, is in my estimation, unwarrented.
To quote the wise and sage Dave D.................Move along, Nothing to see here.

Last edited:
Jim, its posts like these that would make me want to take my time to update your information. Criticism of the currently non-electable leadership will not help your cause. :rolleyes:

Jim, its posts like these that would make me want to take my time to update your information. Criticism of the currently non-electable leadership will not help your cause. :rolleyes:

Kurt

My point here Ron looks to need extra help with the up-dates yes he does a good job when he does it. I should have put SCCoA may need extra help for Ron anyway its been so long in my case at this point if it dont get up-dated no big deal anymore just up-date my signuture. Just others have been waiting seams like very long time one I know of ( one year ) thats a little to long

Last edited:
OMG the time slip isn’t posted!?! Let’s fire the entire crew dag- na-bit. What a bunch of incompetent morons. I motion we solicote a letter of apology and have it sent registered mail to you and your entire family. Once that's completed, we can call the local media and have them broadcast it on the 6 o'clock news. That will Make Them Pay BIG!

Reality is they do need help....One two or three people can only do so much. Its up to them however to deciede if they are overloaded or not..And us to let them know if we have any issues with that..Im personally still on non member status even though I paid my dues.

Reality is they do need help....One two or three people can only do so much. Its up to them however to deciede if they are overloaded or not..And us to let them know if we have any issues with that..Im personally still on non member status even though I paid my dues.

I agree but issues like this should be taken up in a priviate message.

Well, I can understand Jim's frustration. I've been waiting 2 years to get my dyno sheet updated and the last communique that I got from Ron was that when he got to my e-mail he would get to it which means he is running over 2 years behind, so I give up. I know Ron's busy and has a regular job that takes priority but it would be nice to at least have my e-mails acknowledged when I send them. All the more reason for him to get some help with this stuff. Jim, just do what I did. Get a Myspace account and post all of your stuff there. That way you can update it whenever you want and you can put a link to it in your avatar or signature.

The issue with getting someone else to help would mean we are allowing someone else access to 2000+ people's personal information. I have no way to stop them from just exporting it and posting it somewhere, which I take as a serious responsibility. Data privacy is serious business. I also open the door for someone to alter any/all records in the database, so this has to be someone who is extremely computer savvy, responsible and trustworthy.

I am currently working on emails from May 2007, everything from before then has been processed. I suggest you resend whatever you have.

Personally, considering the number of members we have on this site, I think things flow pretty smoothly. Speaking from experience, whenever I have contacted George or any of those moderating this site, they have responded in a timely and very respectful manner. There has never been a time when I have been shunned or had a response that was nothing less than polite, insightful and knowledgeble.
One thing to keep in mind when searching for co-moderators and others to help with websites and forums is simply this. Many times people will volunteer their time without realizing everything that is involved in helping maintain a site, especially one of this size. So, people volunteer and then get in over their heads and realize they don't know as much as they thought about HTML or other website associated activites, or they simply don't have enough time, or worse yet, they just lose interest after a few weeks, months, etc. This is exactly why George isn't just jumping out on a limb and assigning moderator duties to people, or assigning website maintenance acitivities to members without first extensively "checking out" each person who has expressed an interest. And, in some cases, once people are given added responsibilities like this, the "power trip" syndrome sets in. The people who run this site and forum are looking for people who will work as a team and not go off and pursue their own personal agenda for this site. It has to be a team effort and all those who share the responsibilties of this site need to work together for the good of the whole.
I have been a member of other automotive forums where the dictator's hand rules the land and it's refreshing to come here and not have that atmosphere. This forum is by far, my favorite online "hangout" spot. The people here are great and the moderators do a fantastic job not only with the forums, but also with the site as well, especially considering the number of members we have here. While it may be frustrating to some, we all need to support the moderating and website administration team and not resort to publicly "calling them out" in the hopes of embarrassing them into doing what you're asking them to do. It's not fair to them and it's not fair to subject the membership to threads like this and risk giving this forum and site a black eye. With the recent discussion of trying to get our cars more exposure in the various magazines, if members of these publications should come here and read threads like this, what does a thread like this say about the cohesiveness of the membership as a whole? We all need to think twice before posting topics such as this in full public view of anyone who visits these forums.
OK..I'm off my soap box now...

The issue with getting someone else to help would mean we are allowing someone else access to 2000+ people's personal information. I have no way to stop them from just exporting it and posting it somewhere, which I take as a serious responsibility. Data privacy is serious business. I also open the door for someone to alter any/all records in the database, so this has to be someone who is extremely computer savvy, responsible and trustworthy.

I am currently working on emails from May 2007, everything from before then has been processed. I suggest you resend whatever you have.

Why is the website set up in such a way as to require access to all user data? If SCCoA would stop worrying about and monitoring/censoring what a user posts in his member page, then you could easily create and use a fill in the blanks updater. User enters information in a table (much like every database program out there), and then it auto updates the page. Simple, easy, and makes people use off-site hosting for images. If you really want to go the extra distance and provide on-site image hosting, then give them a page where they can dump images to, like www.sccoa.com/users/pablo94sc, that requires there log in and password. Then all you have to do is monitor complaints and correct for idiots, not deal with 2000+ members requests.

It's a simple solution and I don't see why it hadn't been implemented years ago.

personally i think Ron is doing the best he can but Jim didn't say he was not,

and yes he may need help but as said its a risky thing letting someone into the private info .

Jim wants his day in the sun just as we all do hell he earned it.

maybe a little impatient but so am I .

maybe a few emails to Ron first to try to fix the problem would have been better but hey its past and we cant change that.

also as the club does get bigger or more users it may require a full time moderator manager who is maybe retired.
and has time.

and as for the don't tell don't ask thing if you have to hide stuff like this then there is something wrong instead of a bunch of people whining at Jim how about a straight out reply from Ron or George. that looks better to outsiders than a vigilante attack on Jim and don't talk of spell check if thats all you have to complain about your just anal retentive .

come on here guys act like a club not a billy club,

yes this post was sort of wrong maybe better ways to have done it . maybe we are all just a tad bit over zealous in our comments ,

this is a comment by mannysc and not a reflection of the sccoa as a whole or part it is in noway meant as a statement of facts or attack on anyones persona or mental status if Ive offended anyone its all on me not the sccoa .

I welcome personal attacks upon myself at MANNYSC@MSN.COM

Why is the website set up in such a way as to require access to all user data?

Pablo, it is in database tables, the issue is setting up new members and tying it to their vbulletin id. Everyone takes for granted that their vbulletin id and password allows them to edit their member page. That initial set up requires a manual effort. Once the page is set up, users can edit to their heart's content.

If SCCoA would stop worrying about and monitoring/censoring what a user posts in his member page, then you could easily create and use a fill in the blanks updater.

I remember having to edit one or two people's page back in 1999/2000, but not since. I know Duffy lacks access and I don't think George knows how. Where does this stuff come from?

Simple, easy, and makes people use off-site hosting for images. If you really want to go the extra distance and provide on-site image hosting, then give them a page where they can dump images to, like www.sccoa.com/users/pablo94sc, that requires there log in and password. Then all you have to do is monitor complaints and correct for idiots, not deal with 2000+ members requests.

A user could actually upload whatever images they want off-site and link to it from their member page today, not many people do this, they like the fact that I will resize the image in photoshop to be the right size thumbnail on their page. The images will show up in the same part of the page as everyone else's. You bring up a good point about letting members upload pictures themselves. What I can see being useful is allowing members to upload their pictures right into their member record.

Whoever wants to write the php script for this (or can find it written somewhere), please post the code in this thread. Assume the following environments:

PHP Version 5.2.3
MySQL 5.0.41

Maybe Jim's original post of
SCCoA Web Master might need a little extra help
will actually help me.

Thanks,
Ron

A user could actually upload whatever images they want off-site and link to it from their member page today, not many people do this, they like the fact that I will resize the image in photoshop to be the right size thumbnail on their page. The images will show up in the same part of the page as everyone else's. You bring up a good point about letting members upload pictures themselves. What I can see being useful is allowing members to upload their pictures right into their member record.

Thanks,
Ron

Ron, this is all I see on my member page.
(Images are not editable by the user at this time.)
(You can submit your images to: scguys@sccoa.com)

Do you mean adding the link in say, the Misc section at the bottom of the page? Wouldn't that just point to and take someone to the off-site location??

Ira

You bring up a good point about letting members upload pictures themselves. What I can see being useful is allowing members to upload their pictures right into their member record.

Whoever wants to write the php script for this (or can find it written somewhere), please post the code in this thread. Assume the following environments:

PHP Version 5.2.3
MySQL 5.0.41

Thanks,
Ron

I'll see what I can find. I know a few other forum admins and I'm sure they have scripts for this somewhere.

Thanks, Pablo.

Ira,

it would be similar to when you add pics to a posting here on the forums. A chooser that would upload pics from your computer straight to your member record.

Then the script would know how many pictures you uploaded and if it was fancy enough would create the thumbnail on the fly.

Thanks, Pablo.

Ira,

it would be similar to when you add pics to a posting here on the forums. A chooser that would upload pics from your computer straight to your member record.

Then the script would know how many pictures you uploaded and if it was fancy enough would create the thumbnail on the fly.

Oh, okay. Something for the future perhaps. I misread the post to say we have that option now. Thanks for setting that straight.

Ira

A simple thank you...........

I just want to say "thanks!' to Ron. I too have wondered how the information here is kept current, but now, my memebership page has been setup, pictures have been loaded, and all is now right with the world.

Thank you Ron.

I just want to say "thanks!' to Ron. I too have wondered how the information here is kept current, but now, my memebership page has been setup, pictures have been loaded, and all is now right with the world.

Thank you Ron.

Nice Members page!

Ron did a nice job I am still waiting for my time slip up-date in the Top SC deal 19 days now still nothing Hummmm

Back