Question on Stock hood and deck lid weight and links to fiberglass parts?

"Looking for info"

What is the weight of a stock SC hood? and deck lid? What is the weight savings on a fiberglass hood? does anyone make a fiberglass deck lid? I wanted to go with one like Coy Miller had on his SC what are the links to fiberglass parts? also who makes the best quality and best fitting parts

Looking to put the Silver Bullet on a diet she is way to fat and heavy I know glass is fast but steel is real but time to give her some lighter body parts

But Jim, then you can't tout that your car is all steel. :rolleyes: What next, nitrous? BTW, how much nitro are you mixing with your fuel?

SCP carries fiberglass hoods (bolt on), hairyglass carries a fiberglass decklid (not a bolt on).

-Rod

But Jim, then you can't tout that your car is all steel. :rolleyes: What next, nitrous? BTW, how much nitro are you mixing with your fuel?

SCP carries fiberglass hoods (bolt on), hairyglass carries a fiberglass decklid (not a bolt on).

-Rod

Thanks Rod

You mean the first all real steel Sc to run low 11's yes steel is real but just getting ideas as of for now. No Nitro blow it up for sure just MS 109 man that stuff is powerful VP has great fuel

XXXXXX coy's car did it with more steel in it! he had other parts maed so they would mold into the body better.

Edited....NO NAMECALLING Duffy Floyd

weight saving or lack there of...

Jim, you have to watch what parts you go with. Some are the same weight as steel, others are real light. The best place for light weight ones would be "Hairy glass" out of FL. He has some, or did have some that were like paper thin. These are the lightest of them all. Some of the workmanship is low, but they ARE LIGHT...Don't forget the doors are also make in glass as well. The hood will save you 40lbs, deck lid 20 and the doors are about 80 lbs if you go with something other than window glass in them..........Rich

Jim, you have to watch what parts you go with. Some are the same weight as steel, others are real light. The best place for light weight ones would be "Hairy glass" out of FL. He has some, or did have some that were like paper thin. These are the lightest of them all. Some of the workmanship is low, but they ARE LIGHT...Don't forget the doors are also make in glass as well. The hood will save you 40lbs, deck lid 20 and the doors are about 80 lbs if you go with something other than window glass in them..........Rich

Thanks Rich

I need to send you a private e-mail latter tonight I am going to make a couple runs to get around Coy Millers time with all stock steel parts with double intercooler the way she is now. No one has ever run 11.07et or 10.70's with a stock weight SC on motor only. After I reach that point than 9 second runs are in my quest with no Nitrous all motor power

My doors ,bare wt is 14lbs. No glass,screws,hardware is included in wt..

trunk deck lid skin bare 4lbs. you have to build the back section that holds the tail lights, liecense plates, hinge tabs need to be fabed also..I built the back section with glass & carbon fiber layers, trunk lid now is around 9lbs.
I used foam blocks between composit layers to stiffen structure.I havent
got the weight with the bolt on parts,tail lights, lock, complete
assembled trunk lid.

On the trunk lid you also will need to delete the torsion spring that lifts and hold trunk up, It is way to strong for the lighter glass/carbon trunk lid.

The lightest hoods would be a single layer. You will need to remove the
underside portion of the hood. to have the lightest hood, On most all style hoods on the market they are two layers..

I donot know of anyone that is making a stock looking glass hood. I am under the impression that the HairyGlass stock looking hood is 6 inches longer than
a stock hood. I would not use Hairy Glass doors.
The doors I have are exactly like stock doors.all stock parts and panles
can be used. you cannot tell they are glass doors. HairyGlass are lighter, but they look like a Pro-Stock racing door .

Randy

My doors ,bare wt is 14lbs. No glass,screws,hardware is included in wt..

trunk deck lid skin bare 4lbs. you have to build the back section that holds the tail lights, liecense plates, hinge tabs need to be fabed also..I built the back section with glass & carbon fiber layers, trunk lid now is around 9lbs.
I used foam blocks between composit layers to stiffen structure.I havent
got the weight with the bolt on parts,tail lights, lock, complete
assembled trunk lid.

On the trunk lid you also will need to delete the torsion spring that lifts and hold trunk up, It is way to strong for the lighter glass/carbon trunk lid.

The lightest hoods would be a single layer. You will need to remove the
underside portion of the hood. to have the lightest hood, On most all style hoods on the market they are two layers..

I donot know of anyone that is making a stock looking glass hood. I am under the impression that the HairyGlass stock looking hood is 6 inches longer than
a stock hood. I would not use Hairy Glass doors.
The doors I have are exactly like stock doors.all stock parts and panles
can be used. you cannot tell they are glass doors. HairyGlass are lighter, but they look like a Pro-Stock racing door .

Randy

Thanks Randy

My main idea here is to gain info on taking weight out of my car body only keeping the suspenshion interior everything els the same. My dyno tuner said it should reach 10.70's full weight same as now just with dyno tune and my new race tires and new higher stall converter installed a week ago. Test runs are in a couple weeks but after that want to get it lighter and run close to 9 seconds this info is appreciated very much

Thanks Randy

My main idea here is to gain info on taking weight out of my car body only keeping the suspenshion interior everything els the same. My dyno tuner said it should reach 10.70's full weight same as now just with dyno tune and my new race tires and new higher stall converter installed a week ago. Test runs are in a couple weeks but after that want to get it lighter and run close to 9 seconds this info is appreciated very much

10.70s at full weight without nitrous would be something special. Shootout is in 3 weeks....you coming this year ?

David

10.70s at full weight without nitrous would be something special. Shootout is in 3 weeks....you coming this year ?

David

David

Thats my main goal make it a good 10 second challenge as soon as I get the ok from my sponsor and maybe one other. I will be going out next weekend get some shakedown runs man if it wouldent have spun so bad off the line and in 2nd and high it would have been 10's not 11.07 runs. Thats the part of racing right? after 4 years of sitting at the shop waiting for its return to action its comming around now like it should have been back in 2003

Jim for info on stock looking fiberglass doors. That you can use
all the stock hardware, panels, etc. for assemble finish look.
This thread has pictures and info, pricing info.
go to the PARTS FOR SALE SCCoA Forum.
Do a search, type in fiberglass SC doors.

For trunk deck lid. this is for the top portion of trunk kid only.
you will need to build the tail light section and add to deck lid.
And hinge tabs if you want it to open and look stock
www.hairyglass.com

Hairyglass has a complete SC-Bird dog house with hood.
But I am sure it is 6 inches longer that stock.

The reason I have the composit parts is to lightin to help
achieve better gas milage. Making my car quicker comes
second on the list for the reasons of making my car lighter.

Good luck Randy

Jim for info on stock looking fiberglass doors. That you can use
all the stock hardware, panels, etc. for assemble finish look.
This thread has pictures and info, pricing info.
go to the PARTS FOR SALE SCCoA Forum.
Do a search, type in fiberglass SC doors.

For trunk deck lid. this is for the top portion of trunk kid only.
you will need to build the tail light section and add to deck lid.
And hinge tabs if you want it to open and look stock
www.hairyglass.com

Hairyglass has a complete SC-Bird dog house with hood.
But I am sure it is 6 inches longer that stock.

The reason I have the composit parts is to lightin to help
achieve better gas milage. Making my car quicker comes
second on the list for the reasons of making my car lighter.

Good luck Randy

Thanks Randy

This info is very much appreciated once I reach her best et and speed as she is now than body diet time slim her down. This all stock steel beast has pushed hard to get her heavy butt this quick and it still has more left

Jim here is a address for a tubed K-Member to help get more Wt.
off your car. The site dosent have SC Thunderbird K-member
info or any pictures, but they make & sell 4130 tube K-Members.
A tube K-member will realy open up room parts, headers, &
make your car easier to work on..
www.ajeracing.com

Q-a1 make aluminum adjustable coil over shocks that are a little lighter.
Aluminum shock body is threaded for car higth adjustments and
have a knob for shock adjustments. springs are smaller diameter
than stock springs,& they can be painted any color and come in
chrome .

Randy

Jim here is a address for a tubed K-Member to help get more Wt.
off your car. The site dosent have SC Thunderbird K-member
info or any pictures, but they make & sell 4130 tube K-Members.
A tube K-member will realy open up room parts, headers, &
make your car easier to work on..
www.ajeracing.com

Q-a1 make aluminum adjustable coil over shocks that are a little lighter.
Aluminum shock body is threaded for car higth adjustments and
have a knob for shock adjustments. springs are smaller diameter
than stock springs,& they can be painted any color and come in
chrome .

Randy

Thanks Randy

This info is perfect gives me area's to think about of getting the car lighter the next real goal for SC's is the 9 second zone. Need to keep up with Kevin he will be there real soon his car is amazing built nice the K-member will take a bunch of weight off I been looking at the 4 link setups getting ideas. I am going to look through all this info you gave me thank you

Back