rear end gears

slowpoke

my sc has 2.73L rear gears, however i have a set of 3.08L gears out of a 92 sport. has any1 used the 3.08L with a 5 speed tranny and did it do well with it??

thx for the link thunderkid, it seems like most do like the 3.08's so i think ill through them in next pay day. btw nice price on the gears you got.;)

well whenever u get em in post back on this thread and let us know how they feel. i've yet to install mine and i got 'em back in march :eek: they should be the happy medium between stock and steeper 3.27.

well here it is, i began tonight at taking the old sub-frame out.:mad: i got under my sc to look at what all ill have to do and found that due to massive corrosion i had only 2 bolts holding the subframe in and some holes in the sub-frame.:eek: i wasnt planning on doing the swap till next week but its happening now. i should have it all done by late tomarrow or early monday. i post next once im done with the test drive.:cool: btw: do these cars need frame conectors between the sub-frames or is there design stronge enough as is???:confused:

here it is, i completed the sub-frame swap to the 3.08L last night. just did the test drive and omfg it is fast. first gear is still a good gear but i couldnt hold the car straight when i hit the gas, had to go to 2nd and a rolling start with the clutch all the way out and the tires slip'd just a lil then off i went. 3rd gear took no time at all, shifted into 4th around 110mph. once the speedo was max'd i hit 5th and coasted back down to 55mph. it makes alot more speed alot faster then what it did before. im just happy that 1rst is still a good gear to use. so imo 3.08L rocks with the 5speed sc:cool:

here it is, i completed the sub-frame swap to the 3.08L last night. just did the test drive and omfg it is fast. first gear is still a good gear but i couldnt hold the car straight when i hit the gas, had to go to 2nd and a rolling start with the clutch all the way out and the tires slip'd just a lil then off i went. 3rd gear took no time at all, shifted into 4th around 110mph. once the speedo was max'd i hit 5th and coasted back down to 55mph. it makes alot more speed alot faster then what it did before. im just happy that 1rst is still a good gear to use. so imo 3.08L rocks with the 5speed sc:cool:

so the car felt a few hundred pounds lighter ? :cool:

good to hear such good things about 3.08's. cant wait to get mine in.

I like the 3.27's I have in my 92 however first gear runs out really quick. I can't imagine 3.55's. I think 3.08 is a good compromise.

I want to change the gears in my auto car really soon. The 3.27 makes first gear take forever to run out. I can go like 45-50 in 1st. I think 4.10's would be fun, but I'll probably settle on 3.73:1.

...shifted into 4th around 110mph. once the speedo was max'd i hit 5th...

Am I understanding correctly that you were doing 110 MPH in 3rd gear with 3.08s:confused:

I have 3.27s in my SC with 17" tires and I have to hit 5th at max speed of 80-85 right which is redlined on the factory tach.
3rd will only last me to about 55-65 before I redline.

Is there that much difference in 3.08 vs. 3.27?

i forgot that the speedo was wrong due to the new gears, it really does 98-99 in 3rd gear. and yes thunder it feels like the car went on a diet and lost a few hundred pounds now lol. never the less i really like the new gears. i should be getting the sc to the strip in about 2 weeks to see what it does. just have a lil more i wanna do to it first.:cool:

Am I understanding correctly that you were doing 110 MPH in 3rd gear with 3.08s:confused:

I have 3.27s in my SC with 17" tires and I have to hit 5th at max speed of 80-85 right which is redlined on the factory tach.
3rd will only last me to about 55-65 before I redline.

Is there that much difference in 3.08 vs. 3.27?

Yes, you can do 110 in third gear with 3.08's. Taller tire helps. I've done it with 27x10.5x16 tires. I don't think I would recommend it though. I probably should have been in 4th long before then.

And the difference between the 3.08 and 3.27 is very noticable. We have 3.31 in our second car and you can feel the difference right away, although I have never tried to do 110 to see what gear I would be in. I would be very comfortable in saying 4th though.

Ira

Last edited:
Back