Custom Drag Wheels

cudaz101

I have some test wheels being made as of TODAY in the below spec/style.

Terminator Series Centerline Rotary Forged 2pc custom wheel.

They will be a direct bolt on wheel. No need to change studs or lugnuts, etc...Still have to do some test fitting but I see little to no surprises. I am posting this up to gauge interest. The prices are the absolute best I can do, I only wish I could do better...

Prices are speculated @
$280ea Rears
$250ea Fronts

15X4 FRONT 13lbs 1.65" backspace Polished 5-4.25 bolt pattern
15X8 REAR 17lbs 5.50" backspace Polished 5-4.25 bolt pattern

20060920153616_telstar.jpg

5ae6d40d9da2d873167b7be16689f5f5.jpg

All input is welcome...:)

Cheers,

Brad

Last edited:
I'm up for them if they come in at a low weight. Any idea on that?

A 9 or 10" rear wheel not possible due to the 15" size?

First year I'd likely just do rears as I have front aluminum wheels I can use.

I'm up for them if they come in at a low weight. Any idea on that?

A 9 or 10" rear wheel not possible due to the 15" size?

First year I'd likely just do rears as I have front aluminum wheels I can use.

Mike being 15" an 8" wide wheel is the limit if you want it to look even close to correct with the fenders. After many long discussions this seems to be the most sought for combination.

Mike & Dennis...YES I know what the weight is...I posted a bit hastey I guess. It has been edited.

Brad

Damn, they look nice.What's the finishing on them.My birthday was couple days ago and I'm thinking about making myself a late birthday present :D:D

Derek

Damn, they look nice.What's the finishing on them.My birthday was couple days ago and I'm thinking about making myself a late birthday present :D:D

Derek

Derek, the finish is Polished. I don't know if they offer a satin finish in these or not...If anyone has a preference I could get some done up in each finish...

I am suppose to have my test wheels in a week so things could be moving somewhat quick on this. Will have to see..I have never done anything with these guys before so ya never know...

Brad

I'm interested....sure you can't go up to 9" on the rears ?

David

David,
Once I get the 8" test wheel I will be able to answer that question without question. That would however mean that I would have to go with a differant center and barrel because these come in 4,6,7,8 & 10" barrels.

I like this particular option because they are somewhat light and they are forged as well.

Brad

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer is "no", but here goes:

is Big Brake clearance possible?

So what would be the optimum tire size for these wheels on a car that hasn't been lowered??

Ira

So what would be the optimum tire size for these wheels on a car that hasn't been lowered??

Ira

I can't imagine chassis height should change the optimum other than if it will clear. Ideally you'll look at your gear ratio's, and then try to find the right height tire to put in the right gear, for the right RPM at the traps.

Sounds good brad. The weight looks great. Certainly for folks looking to run a 10.5" slick, a 9" wheel would be best if possible. 10" good as well. But certainly an 8" is within the fitment range that is reasonable for a street/strip car and would work for me. (Certainly much better than the 6.5" wheel I'm using now on a 10" tire)

15 x 4 with a 2.3125 " backspacing fits with a convo pro and 13" brakes

I really doubt this. The problem with 15 inch wheels and 13 inch brakes is that it is physically impossible to fit the brakes inside the wheel. The lip of the rim will hit the caliper. In my application, I use a zero offset 15 X 3.5 (2.25 backspace). I have to use a 1 inch spacer which effectively adds another 25mm offset (or 1.25 backspacing).

So no matter how you achieve it...with offset in the wheel, offset via spacer, anyone with cobra brakes, for any width wheel must have no more than 1.25 backspacing for a 15 inch wheel. Since this can't change, the only way you'll make the wheels tuck in better is to go as skinny as possible. Being that you are looking at 4 inch wide wheels...a Centerline will stick out 1/2 inch further than this:

micah2.jpg

Those are sweet, however I don't need forged, and would prefer something in the 150/ea. price range such as pro-stars or drag lites. Anything else offered for us that's not almost $300 per wheel?

Those are sweet, however I don't need forged, and would prefer something in the 150/ea. price range such as pro-stars or drag lites. Anything else offered for us that's not almost $300 per wheel?

Scott in dealing with WELD Racing/American Racing to get some custom drag wheels done up it became impossible to deal with them (2 years now). I honestly don't think it would have ever come to fruitation with that manufacturer. So it was time to pull up and try Centerline AGAIN...heh...This only took one phone call & one guy to give me the go-ahead and build the test wheels I needed. I realize these are not going to be the answer for everyone and that they are a bit expensive, but its the best I could do and the product quality exeeds most anyones needs or expectations.

If the general consensous is that they are more money than what most want to pay for a drag wheel then absolutley let me know...I don't want to be stuck with 120+ wheels.

Also...Keep in mind that you don't need to change studs or lugnuts with these. So add up what that costs and add it to the WELD product per wheel when making your comparison as well.

Brad

Brad, looking at the backspace for those front wheels, it looks like anyone with cobra brakes would only need .4 inch wide spacer. So you may not even run into any problems with stud length by just plopping in the required spacer. Which would make things even easier. Also on my car, my tires are a little wider than the rim...so you could make that extra half inch up by just buying a skinny front runner.

Damon, I would bet $10 that he doesn't have cobra brakes. Those just tuck way too hard.

Back