Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dyno video from the Shootout

Dyno video from the Shootout

Finally I got around to uploading the video of Sean's and mine dyno video from the 2007 SC/XR7 Shootout. Sorry for the poor sound quality, the file was to big and it had to be cut down to fit on streetfire.

Some notes from the dyno: Sean's water pump bearings started dragging during the dyno so he did not get the numbers that he expected. We swapped the water pump after words and Sean said that he noticed a difference in power. I dont know the actual numbers that he put out so he will have to post them along with a list of mods.

Me on the other hand was very disappointed with my dyno results. I am down 100rwhp More or less it made 234rwhp when it should be at somewhere near 330rwhp. After having Precision work on the car for a solid hour after everyone had dyno'ed we came to the conclusion that I need more jetting because the car keeps going lean. I've since then done a once over on the car and figured out that I am going to need a new primary power valve, more jetting, new spark plug wires, and a carb rebuild kit. Whats nice is the parts I need are incredibly cheap The new set of plug wires is needed cause I have spark jumping from wire to wire and what not. Believe me, the MSD sure bites hard I have all winter to fix it so I am in no hurry. Probably around the first of the year I'll tear the carb apart and rebuild it and by early march have it taken to a shop to get tuned to see if I have regained that 100rwhp that my car should be making.

Let me know what you guys this about the video and what not.

'92 SC with 306ci swap and '89 XR7 mostly stock dyno video.

Shane

The Cougar ended up making 222 hp and 308 ft lbs tq I think its slightly higher now with the different water pump

Mods:
    - Ported blower
    - Ported Inlet plenum
    - Port matched 70mm throttle body
    - 76mm MAF
    - 10% overdrive
    - Lightweight jackshaft pulley
    - 3" Cold air intake
    - Retarded cut off exhaust=no backpressure=no low end torque

Hey you almost did better than shane's v8! probably put down more tourque!
    93 SC Red Auto 111k
    2013 Shootout Bracket ET First Place
    2015 Shootout Car Show Honerable Mention
    2016 Shootout Mod-1 First Place
    4.2, 2.3 Whipple, 3.73s AOD
    307rwhp 12.70@107.2 (MPX)
    395rwhp Whipple.... et ?????

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob_Royer View Post
    Hey you almost did better than shane's v8! probably put down more tourque!
    Like I aleady stated mine is not running right. There is no way a TFS headed, TFS cam'ed, carb'ed 306ci is going to make only 234rwhp fully tuned and running perfectly. Once I get it all sorted out I'll gain that 100rwhp back. Then things will get fun

Shane

Quote Originally Posted by quick35th View Post
    Like I aleady stated mine is not running right. There is no way a TFS headed, TFS cam'ed, carb'ed 306ci is going to make only 234rwhp fully tuned and running perfectly. Once I get it all sorted out I'll gain that 100rwhp back. Then things will get fun

Shane
    yeah, thats not right....my 150,000 + mile 351, that has stock H/C/I on it, nearly makes that....

do you have a carb. you can borrow from a buddy?

Quote Originally Posted by 95badbird View Post
    yeah, thats not right....my 150,000 + mile 351, that has stock H/C/I on it, nearly makes that....

do you have a carb. you can borrow from a buddy?
    Unforunately no I dont have a friend that I can barrow a carb from. The carb and the wires is whats keeping my motor from making 330rwhp or more. I got the carb used so its the big unknown in my combo so this winter I am going to spend a lot of time going threw it.

Shane

yeah shane how much torque did it make? actually so far, im the torque king in our little group of friends

Quote Originally Posted by 19TbirdSC91 View Post
    yeah shane how much torque did it make? actually so far, im the torque king in our little group of friends

I cant remember off hand but I am pretty sure it was in the 200's. It might have been 24?... something.

Shane

Quote Originally Posted by 19TbirdSC91 View Post
    not for too long..i got plans for my lil 5.0

shane...you car should be putting out an easy 280rwhp untuned...tuned you should be seeing over 330rwhp and close to 400rwtq..

a guy on my mustang forum runs a stock 93 bottom end un touched gt40p heads tfs stage 1 cam with a holley upper lower intake and made a little over 300 hp earlyer in spring...(though a 5 speed)

tfs heads are far better and you should be seeing way higher numbers...even if it untuned...
    Last edited by Ryan218; 10-11-2007 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan218 View Post
    not for too long..i got plans for my lil 5.0

shane...you car should be putting out an easy 280rwhp untuned...tuned you should be seeing over 330rwhp and close to 400rwtq..

a guy on my mustang forum runs a stock 93 bottom end un touched gt40p heads tfs stage 1 cam with a holley upper lower intake and made a little over 300 hp earlyer in spring...(though a 5 speed)

tfs heads are far better and you should be seeing way higher numbers...even if it untuned...

Hmm... I dont know then. Maybe it was the dyno, maybe..... I just dont know. What I do know is this: The motor is .30 over (306ci) with around 9.5 compression, fully balanced and blue printed bottom end, TFS heads, TFS stage one cam, edelbrock performer RPM intake manifold, MSD billet dizzy, Mighty Demon 650cfm carb, Mac long tube header, TFS 1.6 roller rockers, no power steering, no AC,.... etc. The guy I bought the motor from, a friend of mine, said it made 286rwhp on a mustang dyno which would equate to right around 330rwhp on a dyno jet. Since then the only thing that has changed is I ditched the EFI setup infavor of my carb setup and got rid of the A/C and power steering. So it should be making some pretty good power numbers but its not.

I am open to ideas for why my motor is not making the power its supposed to be making. Base timing is set at 32* and the advance is set to 15*. (I hope I said that right)

Shane

You guys are sadly misinformed. A 9.5:1 carbed 302 isn't going to make over 300rwhp. Nor is the dynojet that much different from a Mustang dyno.

First of all, 9.5:1 compression is weak for that combo. It needs 11.5:1. Second, your carbed manifold is going to throw away all the torque numbers of the EFI motor. You'll be very lucky if the motor breaks 285ftlbs torque.

The 286rwhp is doable with tuning.

I think I told Shane a long time ago that for the effort and money, the 3.8L motor that was in the car in the first place would have been more bang for the buck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

compression does sound a wee bit low shane, any reason? trying to save at the pump lol. if you dont get the numbers you want u can always supercharge it.

A dual plane intakes are just brutal. Those are something for a stock motor.

Carbed motors tend to make more power than a fuel injected motor. Mostly because of the difference in intake manifold designs.

Quote Originally Posted by XR7 Dave View Post
    You guys are sadly misinformed. A 9.5:1 carbed 302 isn't going to make over 300rwhp. Nor is the dynojet that much different from a Mustang dyno.

First of all, 9.5:1 compression is weak for that combo. It needs 11.5:1. Second, your carbed manifold is going to throw away all the torque numbers of the EFI motor. You'll be very lucky if the motor breaks 285ftlbs torque.

The 286rwhp is doable with tuning.

I think I told Shane a long time ago that for the effort and money, the 3.8L motor that was in the car in the first place would have been more bang for the buck.
    stock compression for a 5.0 from that year...the number he is laying down is what a stock 5.0 with only mod being exhaust is puting down more then what he is...its not the combo...is something else...and if it is truly scatter spark then its gonna run like a rapped ape after its all sorted out...its dosent got a overly huge cam...that cam is made to work well with them heads..

if i was Shane i would of sticked with an EFI just because of the throttle response and the ease of tuning for others...

btw...what ya think about going to efi over winter shane?

and i have to disagree..the best bang for the buck motor out there in ford i have to say is a 302 becase the ease of work, the aftermarket out there is huge and parts can be bought for cheap.
    Last edited by Ryan218; 10-11-2007 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neverfastenough View Post
    compression does sound a wee bit low shane, any reason? trying to save at the pump lol. if you dont get the numbers you want u can always supercharge it.

its basicaly and rebuilt 306 now..compression wasent changed