Dyno video from the Shootout

quick35th

Finally I got around to uploading the video of Sean's and mine dyno video from the 2007 SC/XR7 Shootout. Sorry for the poor sound quality, the file was to big and it had to be cut down to fit on streetfire.

Some notes from the dyno: Sean's water pump bearings started dragging during the dyno so he did not get the numbers that he expected. We swapped the water pump after words and Sean said that he noticed a difference in power. I dont know the actual numbers that he put out so he will have to post them along with a list of mods.

Me on the other hand was very disappointed with my dyno results. I am down 100rwhp :( More or less it made 234rwhp when it should be at somewhere near 330rwhp. After having Precision work on the car for a solid hour after everyone had dyno'ed we came to the conclusion that I need more jetting because the car keeps going lean. I've since then done a once over on the car and figured out that I am going to need a new primary power valve, more jetting, new spark plug wires, and a carb rebuild kit. Whats nice is the parts I need are incredibly cheap :) The new set of plug wires is needed cause I have spark jumping from wire to wire and what not. Believe me, the MSD sure bites hard :eek: I have all winter to fix it so I am in no hurry. Probably around the first of the year I'll tear the carb apart and rebuild it and by early march have it taken to a shop to get tuned to see if I have regained that 100rwhp that my car should be making.

Let me know what you guys this about the video and what not.

'92 SC with 306ci swap and '89 XR7 mostly stock dyno video.

Shane

The Cougar ended up making 222 hp and 308 ft lbs tq I think its slightly higher now with the different water pump

Mods:
- Ported blower
- Ported Inlet plenum
- Port matched 70mm throttle body
- 76mm MAF
- 10% overdrive
- Lightweight jackshaft pulley
- 3" Cold air intake
- Retarded cut off exhaust=no backpressure=no low end torque

Hey you almost did better than shane's v8! probably put down more tourque!

Like I aleady stated mine is not running right. There is no way a TFS headed, TFS cam'ed, carb'ed 306ci is going to make only 234rwhp fully tuned and running perfectly. Once I get it all sorted out I'll gain that 100rwhp back. Then things will get fun :)

Shane

Like I aleady stated mine is not running right. There is no way a TFS headed, TFS cam'ed, carb'ed 306ci is going to make only 234rwhp fully tuned and running perfectly. Once I get it all sorted out I'll gain that 100rwhp back. Then things will get fun :)

Shane

yeah, thats not right....my 150,000 + mile 351, that has stock H/C/I on it, nearly makes that....

do you have a carb. you can borrow from a buddy?

yeah, thats not right....my 150,000 + mile 351, that has stock H/C/I on it, nearly makes that....

do you have a carb. you can borrow from a buddy?

Unforunately no I dont have a friend that I can barrow a carb from. The carb and the wires is whats keeping my motor from making 330rwhp or more. I got the carb used so its the big unknown in my combo so this winter I am going to spend a lot of time going threw it.

Shane

yeah shane how much torque did it make? actually so far, im the torque king in our little group of friends

yeah shane how much torque did it make? actually so far, im the torque king in our little group of friends

not for too long..i got plans for my lil 5.0:eek:

shane...you car should be putting out an easy 280rwhp untuned...tuned you should be seeing over 330rwhp and close to 400rwtq..

a guy on my mustang forum runs a stock 93 bottom end un touched gt40p heads tfs stage 1 cam with a holley upper lower intake and made a little over 300 hp earlyer in spring...(though a 5 speed)

tfs heads are far better and you should be seeing way higher numbers...even if it untuned...

Last edited:
not for too long..i got plans for my lil 5.0:eek:

shane...you car should be putting out an easy 280rwhp untuned...tuned you should be seeing over 330rwhp and close to 400rwtq..

a guy on my mustang forum runs a stock 93 bottom end un touched gt40p heads tfs stage 1 cam with a holley upper lower intake and made a little over 300 hp earlyer in spring...(though a 5 speed)

tfs heads are far better and you should be seeing way higher numbers...even if it untuned...

Hmm... I dont know then. Maybe it was the dyno, maybe..... I just dont know. What I do know is this: The motor is .30 over (306ci) with around 9.5 compression, fully balanced and blue printed bottom end, TFS heads, TFS stage one cam, edelbrock performer RPM intake manifold, MSD billet dizzy, Mighty Demon 650cfm carb, Mac long tube header, TFS 1.6 roller rockers, no power steering, no AC,.... etc. The guy I bought the motor from, a friend of mine, said it made 286rwhp on a mustang dyno which would equate to right around 330rwhp on a dyno jet. Since then the only thing that has changed is I ditched the EFI setup infavor of my carb setup and got rid of the A/C and power steering. So it should be making some pretty good power numbers but its not.

I am open to ideas for why my motor is not making the power its supposed to be making. Base timing is set at 32* and the advance is set to 15*. (I hope I said that right)

Shane

You guys are sadly misinformed. A 9.5:1 carbed 302 isn't going to make over 300rwhp. Nor is the dynojet that much different from a Mustang dyno.

First of all, 9.5:1 compression is weak for that combo. It needs 11.5:1. Second, your carbed manifold is going to throw away all the torque numbers of the EFI motor. You'll be very lucky if the motor breaks 285ftlbs torque.

The 286rwhp is doable with tuning.

I think I told Shane a long time ago that for the effort and money, the 3.8L motor that was in the car in the first place would have been more bang for the buck. ;)

compression does sound a wee bit low shane, any reason? trying to save at the pump lol. if you dont get the numbers you want u can always supercharge it.

A dual plane intakes are just brutal. Those are something for a stock motor.

Carbed motors tend to make more power than a fuel injected motor. Mostly because of the difference in intake manifold designs.

You guys are sadly misinformed. A 9.5:1 carbed 302 isn't going to make over 300rwhp. Nor is the dynojet that much different from a Mustang dyno.

First of all, 9.5:1 compression is weak for that combo. It needs 11.5:1. Second, your carbed manifold is going to throw away all the torque numbers of the EFI motor. You'll be very lucky if the motor breaks 285ftlbs torque.

The 286rwhp is doable with tuning.

I think I told Shane a long time ago that for the effort and money, the 3.8L motor that was in the car in the first place would have been more bang for the buck. ;)

stock compression for a 5.0 from that year...the number he is laying down is what a stock 5.0 with only mod being exhaust is puting down more then what he is...its not the combo...is something else...and if it is truly scatter spark then its gonna run like a rapped ape after its all sorted out...its dosent got a overly huge cam...that cam is made to work well with them heads..

if i was Shane i would of sticked with an EFI just because of the throttle response and the ease of tuning for others...

btw...what ya think about going to efi over winter shane? :D

and i have to disagree..the best bang for the buck motor out there in ford i have to say is a 302 becase the ease of work, the aftermarket out there is huge and parts can be bought for cheap.

Last edited:
Wha???? You think that a rejet is going to net 100ish HP? I could see if the plugs were gone. I mean close to non functioning, but you have to believe that there MAY be 50-60 hp on the table. I bet its closer to a maximum of 30(not trying to be a prick) but if the car pulls itself up a hill, you are closer to the top than the bottom. I have swapped carbs and tried to get them tuned in. Even with a junk carb that will not idle, I do make good power.

Casey, what are you saying about the dual inlet? They make good low end torque and work fine up to 4500-5000 right? Would you not run one on a STREET engine? What about with TBI injection?

Chris

The long runner efi manifold will stomp all over any carburated manifold in the torque department. If the car had a single plain manifold it would do better than EFI at high rpm but the motor really needs compression and camshaft to make power up high. 9.5:1 compression on an aluminum head motor is very weak. Are you sure it's still just 9.5:1? Usually the aluminum heads have higher compression built into the combination.

Shane's car is quite lean at this point so there is power laying on the table there but I would put it at about 10%. For the power it's making it also has way too much carburator.

I've seen plenty of strong 5.0's make 250-290rwhp so I'd expect it will end up in that area and will be pretty fast at that power level being as light as it is. The next challenge will be getting the carburator to not starve going around the corners. ;)

I will say that the exhaust system is pretty wicked though. :D

Dave,

The pistons that are in it are .30 hyper Speed Pro's. Honestly I am not sure of the compression because the guy I got the stang from that had this motor in it his memory was a little fizzy on the compression ratio. He pretty much through the 9.5.1 number out there so thats what I stuck with. I bet I could call Summit today claiming to be him and ask them what pistons that he ordered lol.

If the pistons are actually lower compression that will leave me with two options, one being a little more realistic then the other. Since the motor only has but a 1k miles on it I could tear it apart and just swap the pistons out, its not like the bores are going to be trashed only after 1k miles. Or, I could leave it lower compression and supercharge it, money permitting of course. I really dont want to supercharge it at this point unless I had a better foundation to work with then a stock block and rotating assembly.

Shane

PS, Thanks for the complement on my exhaust setup Dave :)

My buddys 89 5.0 has GT-40 heads and intake and a motorsport B cam, OR H-pipe 2 chamber flowmasters, and it will absolutely tear a new one in my sc! Always has even when my SC ran right! top end low end, from a dig from a roll... Its gotta be pushing 275+ on a stock bottom end stock compression high mile 5.0 and its is nasty.. no nos.. 3.73 gears and a 5 speed.. He is running 8.5's in the 1/8th on street tires.. There is somthing not right with your setup.. Holley carbs are a PITA to get setup right.. an edelbrock is easy to setup and easy to keep right.. If you need it to not starve on fuel in hard corners etc its probably better than a holley... Another awesome carb option if you know somone that can tune it is a GM quadrajet!! I had a stroker in my old TA and a local old school hot rodder built me a quadrajet for a case of beer! that carb performed better than the aftermarket one i had ever did and i NEVER had to mess with it.. A quadrajet has ungodly RPM potintial and will give you a bigger kick in the pants when the 4bbl opens up than a holley or edelbrock ever will (if properly built! a 200k stocker is a POS) But with you not knowing much about carbs just get a new edelbrock. Very easy to tune and usualy they work fine right out of the box! just adjust the idle mixture (2 screws) and the idle speed and your done!

Back