Using hood pins w/ no latch mechanism

watsonlk

As I posted elsewhere, my core support is bent and I'm afraid it may not straighten enough to get the latch to line up right.

I have a Cervanis hood, and wanted to use hood pins instead of the latch.

Is anybody using just pins for street driving?

Does the hood flutter or get stress cracks from the pins used as the only hold down?

Also looking for a source, but I'm sure they're pretty generic.

Thanks

my core support got bent in a little fender bender. I put a new hood on the car, and removed the latch. Drilled the holes for the pins near where the support angles back on either side, then slammed the hood to put some dents in the underside, and drilled from the bottom of the hood. It was pretty easy. I have had it like that since 04. I even have little locks I can put in the hood pin posts to keep the hood from being opened.

My pins cost like $6.00 at Auto Zone. They are rusted a little. Get stainless ones if you can. I also have a problem with rust under the hood plates because of moisture, but since you have a fiberglass hood, it's not possible to rust.

Last edited:
Sweet, thanks for the info on the SS. I didn't think of that.

I am definitely going the hood pin route until I can replace the core support, then I'll leave them in for looks :D

My wife totally cracks up when we cruise right now, since the latch won't work the hoods off. I get about 10 hard stares at the motor when we drive.

Thanks to this guy
http://www.sccoa.com/member/index.php?uniquename=rudduck
and some sweet deals on his hand me downs
A little bling goes a long way on "Grandma's car".

I should caution you, be careful and don't forget to latch the pins everytime. Speaking from youthful experience and seeing experienced racers at the dragstrip forget to fastened the clips, without a safety catch it can lead to disaster. It is not fun and is embarassing to have your hood pop open. You might want to consider some kind of warning light attached to the clip or something. All it takes is a moment of haste or distraction to miss it.

Last edited:
That is no kidding. After I wrecked it , I popped the hood open at the house and removed the latch assy since it was mucked up.

Then I used TWO short strong bungies that were real tight and tensioned and hooked the hood down to the frame.

Big mistake, went out onto the highway, she was OK until about 50 then that hood rose up about two foot and stretched those bungies wayyyyy out. I pulled her over and idled back to the house, now she's running around naked with no hood. Of course I had the left headlight assy out and was like a funnel of air under the hood which didn't help :eek:

If you go without a latch it will not be a question of "if" the hood will fly up and smash your windsheild, it will be a matter of "when". Ask anyone here who has tried.

If you go without a latch it will not be a question of "if" the hood will fly up and smash your windsheild, it will be a matter of "when". Ask anyone here who has tried.

Dave is right. I had the attitude that I wouldnt forget to do that. It only took once and a broke fiberglass hood and a smashed windowshield. I changed the oil, lowered the hood, went and took a phone call and than came back, Jumped in the drivers seat, took it for a spin. 35 mph and the hood came up. It will happen sometime if you remove the latch

Ken

Words to live, but I don't think I'm gonna have much option unless I somehow get mine straightened out for now.
I'm still replacing it but not until next year, then the latch assy will go back on and the pins will be for looks.

Just like Dave said .. it will fly open, one of those days you will forget the pins and the hood will destroy your windshield, possibly break the hood, bend hinges, dent the roof, etc ..
Im not going to say how many times ive seen it or had it happen to me. :rolleyes:
Save yourself a really big headache and get the latch working properly.

- Dan

I have the cervini hood with only hood pins holding it down. It's pretty sturdy and it never fluttered in the wind until after the second time I forgot the hood pins and it flew up and smashed my windshield. Since then, the end of the cowl flutters just a bit at over 100mph.

Here's what you do. Attach a length of #18-#16 wire to one of the latch pins. Wrap it, tie it, twist it, crimp it, solder it, whatever to the pin. Run the wire back and into the car to the dash. Connect this end to an LED and a resistor or a 12 volt light bulb in line with a fuse. Connect the fuse to a 12 volt ignition on connection. When you slide the latch pin into the post it'll complete the path to ground lighting the LED or light bulb. Any time the key is on the light will let you know if the pin is in or not. Make sure the light is on when you're driving and you'll know the pins are in.

I drove around for months on the stock hood with just pins on the corners. Many runs to 120 or more and it held. This is with a stock hood, though, so just food for thought.

I'm hoping since I've flown planes alot, they have these big RED flags that hang of the pitot tube to remind you to yank before take-off.
If you don't you won't have any airspeed indicator (speedometer, for the car guys). You live and die by that of course, so it's a little more than a broke windshield if you forget.

SO... I'm gonna get me a couple of those shiny pinwheels that they sell at Six Flags that spin in the wind.
Attach those puppies to the hood pin clips, and if I happen to take off without the pins in, I will get a nice pretty swirly effect that will attract my attention like a cat to a tin foil ball.

And if that doesn't work and hood flies up, I'll just blame my wife and yell at her.
Won't fix the hood but it will make me feel better.

:D:cool:

Last edited:
I drove around for months on the stock hood with just pins on the corners. Many runs to 120 or more and it held. This is with a stock hood, though, so just food for thought.
That's not the problem, it's when you forget to install the pins before driving to 120....the fiberglass hood does great as long as the hood pins are installed.

Back