solid vs hydraulic motor mounts....

Peterdroy66

I like the smoothness of the hydraulic motor mounts, I realize they fail though.

I don't mind if they last say 5 yrs, but I don't want to put hydraulics in and have them torn apart in 3 months - my car is a 5spd, and I suspect this is harder on the mounts than the automatic anyways.

What do the solid rubber mounts compare to the hydraulic mounts as far as smoothness when installed.

A few years ago, I had them changed on my 1990. They were definitely bad, but not feeling too rough - when I picked up the car with the replaced OEM mounts, it had 'new car' feel!

Pete

I put solids in mine with the new motor.. Its much better to no have the clunk-clunk when you goose it and let off.. My old drivers side was shot.. I will say that it seems you feel a little bit more engine vibration etc but not enough to be a big deal..

I have driven cars with hydraulic and solid mounts, I dont see enough difference to talk about.Oil and rubber have never been compatable and the hydraulic mounts never last long. WHAT WAS FORD THINKING? :eek: Use the solids you will be happier in the long run.

The fluid filled ones will last for some time they are just expensive. The solid rubber ones were actually made for taxis as heavy duty replacements. Unless you are beating teh living daylight out of your car continuously I dont think youde need to worry to much. Usually they ultimately fail due to rubber degradation

The fluid filled ones will last for some time they are just expensive. The solid rubber ones were actually made for taxis as heavy duty replacements. Unless you are beating teh living daylight out of your car continuously I dont think youde need to worry to much. Usually they ultimately fail due to rubber degradation

Thats what I mean, oil and rubber are incompatable they just self destruct. Solid motor mounts go bad because of abuse or engine oil,p/s fluid or some sort of oil degrades the rubber. Just see what happens when you put ATF in your master cylinder > NO BRAKES.

I can't tell you a difference but I have solid mounts on my car, and with the lopey cam I have I can feel the whole car shake ever so slightly at idle. It's not annoying or anything though, I would buy solids again.

In the group purchases area, there are some solid motor mounts for sale. He was working on a different poly forumula that would allow them to absorb a bit more vibration. If so, those would likely be close to a liquid mount.

If you want liquid, and want to keep them around a while, use a torque strap of some sort to limit motor movement, and keep the area around the mounts clean. flush with water and soap when you wash the car to help keep the rubber from deteriorating.

Thanks for all the feedback

From what I read....

Sounds like
1)The solid mounts are not significantly rougher.

2) The oil filled ones should last a reasonable time, especially if I add a torque strap.

Thanks All
Pete

I think my point has been bypassed. Hydraulic mounts degrade from within I cant tell you how many clean and dry Ford hydraulic mounts I have been replaced not from abuse but from the oil eating the mount from the inside. The rubber on the outside is fine but on the inside it is soft and gummy.

I've got Solids...

Unless you have a glassy smooth idle, you'll notice a difference. I put mine in and I was able to tell both at idle and cruising a little bit more vibe. It can wear into you on long trips, but I do think that I have other idle issues. I've always had a slight "lope" at idle and I've got a stock engine, so something must be out of balance and the solid rubber mounts just exacerbate that.

I'd be really curious about the Softer polyurethane mounts that have the same Durometer as the Liquid filled mounts but won't degrade. I thought the guy working on them wasn't going to make a softer variation.?

From this thread on page 4:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84279

Not much in the way of update on the bushings. Need to do more testing on my car before I say Yay or Nay.

It's a dual durometer bushing that is part 70A and part 45A. Initial vibration testing is good, but I want to check the longevity of the softer material before it takes a "set".

Oh and the liquid filled ones can last quite a while, though i am sure they do break down. Replaced the mounts on my 90 with 120k miles on it. Drivers side was totally torn apart and shot. Passenger side still high and dry. i cut it open, still had fluid in it. The rubber was cracked pretty well so i figured there wouldn't be much left for much longer, but it did last.

Last edited:
Out of the poly mounts who makes the better one?

A. Spinning Wheels
B. SCP
C. The guy in Group buy section
D. Other?

I wasn't aware that any vendor was selling poly mounts. I thought SCP and Spinning wheels sell the solid rubber mounts.

I installed the ones being sold in the group buy forum. Well made and fit great. A good option if your brackets are for some reason shot, as the come with new brackets.

I also once installed the ones that were solid mounts sold by MN12 performance back when they were in business. Those worked just fine as well.

Two reasons why i purchased the group buy mounts.

#1 I needed mounts, and these looked decent.
#2 I wanted to try something different that i felt could control engine movement better than the stock type solid mounts without failing.

I believe if you are going to stay with fairly decent power levels, a standard solid replacement will work.

Last edited:
What is the best aftermarket hydraulic mount?

OK, Ford no longer sells the mounts (they were always complete including brackets) and are no longer available.

I went to my local parts jobber who got two hydraulic aftermarket mounts - Pioneer - made in India.

The two parts, same part number looked significantly different, both would work, but the difference concerns me about the overall quality of the manufacturing source.

What brand aftermarket hydraulic mounts are 'known' to be OK?

I had a "PIONEER" made in India rubber mount in my 71 Mustang (92' 5.0L EFI) and pulled it appart 3 days later!

Too much work changing these in an SC to put in something of dubious quality.

Pete

Liquid ones just don't last. The rubber will tear on the drivers side and the liquid will leak out causing it to fail. I stay away from the liquid ones.

I put solids in from advance auto---they were about .187 thicker than stock
mounts. They were a little"shakey" at first, but settled down in a about 30 days. (or maybe I just got used to them) Sure feels good...

What brand aftermarket hydraulic mounts are 'known' to be OK?
I have the Anchor brand from Autozone in both of my drivers.. both sides. The white car has about 100K miles on the mounts. They have dropped about 1/4", but not to the point of resting on the frame. So I would have to say at least in that case, they are better than OEM.

Too much work changing these in an SC to put in something of dubious quality.
I totally agree with that; however, I take so much stuff off/on that I don't even think about it any more. Its become routine. :rolleyes:

I like the smoothness of the hydraulic motor mounts, I realize they fail though.

I don't mind if they last say 5 yrs, but I don't want to put hydraulics in and have them torn apart in 3 months - my car is a 5spd, and I suspect this is harder on the mounts than the automatic anyways.

Pete

My OE style mounts (Auto Zone Anchor brand with lifetime warranty) in my 5-speed lasted less than a year with my wife driving it, then the oil pan crushed the ps line, and I have no power steering... It's getting solid motor and trans mounts, never doing that mistake again.

My wife either drives the hell out of the 5-speed SC, or the stock mounts are no good with just a mild bolt on SC.

Back