Anyone here doing speedometer repairs ?

David Neibert

SCCoA Admin
The odometer on mine crapped out recently and I bought a used 145 mph speedometer to replace it. The 145 unit has a working odometer but it's got something like 248K miles and my 91 only has about 108K. Thinking that while resetting the mileage it might be a good idea to replace the odometer gears.

David

I can do both of those items. Had to roll back the mileage on mine. Switched out the odometer gear because it was missing a tooth.

Sometimes the gear for the odometer has broken teeth, sometimes its the motor that drives the gear. If your gear is okay, it may be the motor. I swapped one out of a spare speedo.
To roll back the miles, you just take it apart and push the pin out a bit .. then set the miles to whatever you want.

- Dan

i just harvested a spare speedo for the gear. just take your odometer, replace the gear and motor, and then put it in the 145 speedo. :)

my odo has suffered also. But mine will work when it wants to , only sometimes. I need to find a 145 speedo and put it in my 90 and get my odo working again.

Yeah, but they want several hundred dollars for 20 minutes worth of work. Dave N. Pay the shipping both directions and i'll do it for you. Just send me the parts and let me know what you want the mileage to read....

actually they covered shipping and it was a little over a hundred

Fixing the odometer isn't difficult, nor is altering the mileage. I've done three now, and while it does get easier each time, the first time wasn't too bad at all.

Anyone know where I could get a replacement motor (preferably new) for the odometer?

I've got new gears in it, but the motor seems to only work when it feels like it.

Back