SCCoSC

I have a lot of respect for what Jim and his dad have done. Jim's car is in fact very much a real SC no matter how you look at it. It has seen no weight reduction, it still has the AC in place, etc. Jim and his dad did not try to turn the SC into something it's not which is very cool in it's own right. As Jim said, it is very easy to just reconnect the exhaust system and have a blindingly fast street car.

It much easier to take Kevin's approach. IRS doesn't work? Toss it. Don't really want power windows? Ditch 'em. Don't need a front bumper? Take it off. Not enough boost? Get a turbo, etc. Yes, uncorking headers is the oldest trick in the book and while I wouldn't do it myself it certainly isn't anything new for any number of 1000's of street cars over the past 50 years.

Being able to drive a race car on the street is nothing new either. For example, there are any number of race cars that participate in Hot Rod's Drag Week. If you don't know these guys have to drive their cars, rain or shine to each track and must bring all the tools/parts/ etc. that they need with them. This means current tags and insurance, etc. Does driving the cars down the highway for 5 days straight make them street cars? No. And the drivers freely admit that they are race cars. I don't see what the problem is with admitting that your car is a race car that gets driven on the street occasionally.

I have a lot of respect for what Jim and his dad have done. Jim's car is in fact very much a real SC no matter how you look at it. It has seen no weight reduction, it still has the AC in place, etc. Jim and his dad did not try to turn the SC into something it's not which is very cool in it's own right. As Jim said, it is very easy to just reconnect the exhaust system and have a blindingly fast street car.

It much easier to take Kevin's approach. IRS doesn't work? Toss it. Don't really want power windows? Ditch 'em. Don't need a front bumper? Take it off. Not enough boost? Get a turbo, etc. Yes, uncorking headers is the oldest trick in the book and while I wouldn't do it myself it certainly isn't anything new for any number of 1000's of street cars over the past 50 years.

Being able to drive a race car on the street is nothing new either. For example, there are any number of race cars that participate in Hot Rod's Drag Week. If you don't know these guys have to drive their cars, rain or shine to each track and must bring all the tools/parts/ etc. that they need with them. This means current tags and insurance, etc. Does driving the cars down the highway for 5 days straight make them street cars? No. And the drivers freely admit that they are race cars. I don't see what the problem is with admitting that your car is a race car that gets driven on the street occasionally.

dave, if my way was the easy way then why is no one else doing what i have. when mine is a race car i will definately admit it. But i worked hard in order to keep it streetable. I really could have gutted it like shanes car, but i opted not to. I could of easily put an aluminum dash in it, easily built a full tube chassis and mounted a bird body on it with lexan windows and fibeglass doors and trunk. I think mine is more fun to drive this way than it ever was. I like the sound, The feel and definately the look. I personally think having a 4000 pound 400+ RWHP is stupid and a waste of a good car. but do i always make comments to them? NO! Its funny when i am at a track with real race cars and all the people that come up to me and talk about how cool mine is because it is still a street car. just because it has non factory parts does not mean "race car". is a street rod a race car? are them tubbed 4 linked prostreet cars a race car? say what you will dave, make any excuse you want dave, but it IS a street car that drag races. go to the track more often!

Who cares what mods are done to these cars as long as we keep them alive & whippen butt at the track! I cant afford to build a super SC so Im going V8 & I can barley afford that! You guys need to contact Pinks & show the world what these cars can do! By the way welcome to the So Cal chapter every one... we love to talk crap!:D:D:D

so dave, why do you need ac, radio, power windows, factory suspension, factory seats and so on the be streetable? I will admit i lost luxuries, but half of that crap i ripped off before i even got interested in drag racing anyway. modifying cars has been going on since the first car was made. why should it stop now. when I go to a car show I never even look at the all original mustangs and chevelles and cars like that, sorry boring, I am the type that would take a rare car and cut it and make it mine. not keep it like factory

so dave, why do you need ac, radio, power windows, factory suspension, factory seats and so on the be streetable? I will admit i lost luxuries, but half of that crap i ripped off before i even got interested in drag racing anyway. modifying cars has been going on since the first car was made. why should it stop now. when I go to a car show I never even look at the all original mustangs and chevelles and cars like that, sorry boring, I am the type that would take a rare car and cut it and make it mine. not keep it like factory

Kevin you have said many times that you think 400rwhp 4000lb cars are stupid. I don't think it's very respectful to call others stupid. It's not your cup of tea but its not stupid either. I could just as easily say it was stupid for you to do all that junk to your SC when you could have just started with a car more properly suited for drag racing. Why is it ok in your mind to turn your SC into something it was never designed to be but when people try to keep their SC's like they were made you call it stupid? Compared to a full tube chassis car yours isn't a race car but compared to a regular SC yours most certainly is a race car.

I think Kevin is right its a pro street not a race car . I'm planning a pro street SC and it wont be a race car just a fast street freak.

I can see Jim's point I usually do .

but at the same time a race car is a purpose built vehicle no holds barred race thingamajiggy,

I'm gonna go 4 link tuned and mp iii style blower but its not gonna be a race car I may never hit the strip with it .

I like Kevin's method of getting quick but also respect Jim's way of pushing a heavy arse boat into the tens hard work for sure,

nobody's wrong or right its all a personal choice thats what is so nice about this club is everyones SC is not a clone of the others.

I applaud Kevin and Jim and David and Dave and coy and well everyone from the top five to the bottom five hell I'm not on any list nor do i want to be .

Jim is a good friend of mine or so i conceder him Kevin I don't know but I like his SC muncho, so not a question of which is better but which will win this week next week will be different . is this a race car?

Attachments

• 9c14iv.JPG
    9c14iv.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 85
  • y.JPG
    y.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 85
FYI: The minute you disconnect smog devices like cat converters in CA, the car is no longer a street legal car.

I hate these conversations because stuff like 400 HP full weight IRS cars is stupid and using C4 ladder bar or nitrous is the easy way always gets thrown around and people who know who the comment is aimed for get their panties in a bunch. :rolleyes:

There is more than one way to meet your goals. Trying to put people's accomplishments down because they don't reflect the rules you are trying to follow to get to yours is the real stupidity IMO.

FYI: The minute you disconnect smog devices like cat converters in CA, the car is no longer a street legal car.

I hate these conversations because stuff like 400 HP full weight IRS cars is stupid and using C4 ladder bar or nitrous is the easy way always gets thrown around and people who know who the comment is aimed for get their panties in a bunch. :rolleyes:

There is more than one way to meet your goals. Trying to put people's accomplishments down because they don't reflect the rules you are trying to follow to get to yours is the real stupidity IMO.

true true true oh yeahI like my pantys all bunched up!!!

so dave, that short wheelbase car of yours must be a race car too.

You Guy's

You just dont get the big picture do you? Hell your car is in fact an LX tbird with SC ground effects right? its not even an SC vin# so tell me what are you doing coming off as an SC anyway? To make this short your the only one with a gutted race car with ladder bar suspension and race car front suspension. Dave's car is the real deal SC factory stock IRS AOD hell you should have took a Pinto and did this race car deal to for a racer like you wanting a light car. Next season after you get your new heads and cam no one will come close to you reason being your light weight race car will always have an edge on the rest. Kevin put some weight in it lets play hard ball motor to motor weigh the same a real challenge

Last edited:
If your's is a race car, then Dave's is 7/8's :D:D:D

LOL!!
the most modified chasis of the ones posting here. but no its a customized sc . not a race car like i said its all how you look at it .

is mine a race car because all intake parts are one off modified parts heck no unless im racing vw rabbit diesels.

Jim is a real sc in that its a factory sc but kevins is a sc in that its a good clone.

You Guy's

You just dont get the big picture do you? Hell your car is in fact an LX tbird with SC ground effects right? its not even an SC vin# so tell me what are you doing coming off as an SC anyway? To make this short your the only one with a gutted race car with ladder bar suspension and race car front suspension. Dave's car is the real deal SC factory stock IRS AOD hell you should have took a Pinto and did this race car deal to for a racer like you wanting a light car. Next season after you get your new heads and cam no one will come close to you reason being your light weight race car will always have an edge on the rest. Kevin put some weight in it lets play hard ball motor to motor weigh the same a real challenge

actually jim they are A&A ground effects. the back bumper says thunderbird LX, we custom made it from an sc bumper. if it would make you feel better, I can take my sc vin and put my car around it. once again how do you know its gutted, you never saw it. it still has all factory pieces on interior. door panels, carpet, front and rear seats. ect ect. of all people jim you should know what a true race car is. for all i know yours is too. but i don't hide anything. i tell everyone what I have done. I don't hide any speed secrets. I want others to be able to do what i have done, I have many people wanting soilid axles put in their car. People like you and dave have a problem because i looked at other places than under the hood to make improvements. whats the difference between an AR blower and a solid axle? neither one came factory. what about your special heads, blower and cog drive vs my C4? I don't have any special parts on the car that any one can't get from any vendor. I am sure if my car ran 12.40 you guys wouldn't be crying the blues. If you are so concerned about keeping it true, then put stock heads on it, get rid of the cog system, get the transbrake out. and every other non factory part. you guys don't like my light car, but the truth is most people are just too lazy or not deticated enough to completely disassemble the entire car and find every ounce here and there. or spend hundred of hours researching, measuring and installing a solid axle. Most on here never new a C4 would bolt to an SC engine let alone be almost a direct bolt in. but i get faulted for making the car better, but its OK for you guys to make the engine better? sorry, changing a part on the engine is no different than changing a part on the suspension.

Jim, I really don't have anything against you, It would be great if we could run against each other some day, BS with each other, I am sure we would regain respect for each other.

Jim, I really don't have anything against you, It would be great if we could run against each other some day, BS with each other, I am sure we would regain respect for each other.

Kevin

Glad to see this, I dont have anything against you eather on your 10.97et run at the Shootout I was happy and posted Congrats to your effort. After the TBU post you made after my 10.800et run it made me think other wise. I think racing side by side match racing would be neat and talk person to person I still have respect for you we both got racing blood :)

manny puts popcorn away and grabs a beer . time to turn on tv and watch ,

some reruns of the man show

SC drama is the best.

Jim...I didn't know you predicted exactly when you would be taking the #1 spot. That makes it even more impressive. Sure you don't have some nitromethene in that fuel cell ?

David

Back