MP Lower Chin Spoiler/Air Dam

007_SuperCoupe

Does anyone have a picture of one of these installed on their car? Before I drop money on one, I want to make sure that it will fit properly. What I'm looking for is a front angle view to see how it is installed. I'm not sure how it's installed just based on the picture of the spoiler alone. I would also like to know what the ground clearance is on one. My SC has been lowered seemingly more than the 1.5" Eibachs, but I'm not sure of the exact measurement. With my current air dam, I have VERY little clearance, so I want to know what it is to know if it will benefit me or not. Thanks in advance.

I do not have a MP front Chin-spoiler.

But I have one made from aluminum. That looks the same as the MP Chin-spoiler pictured in MP's add on there web-site.Its not painted.

The chin spoiler is made from two peices of aluminum. With one peice
measuring (upper part‚.100thick x 30"long x 6"wide, & the lower
chin spoiler is 30" x 5" aluminum.

The upper part is bolted in place by two 7/16" x 1." bolts/nuts.
On my 1990 SCBird there was already two drilled holes in the front
chassis/radiator mount.

1. You need to bend the sheet aluminum 1"
in on the 30" side of aluminum. (around 35 degrees).

2. drill two holes in upper sheet to match,chassis holes.

3. drill two to three holes across the bottom of upper sheet aluminum.
these holes will be used to bolt the lower chin spoiler to.

4. bend a small radius in aluminum on a ten to twelve inch pipe.

Now start on the 30" x 5" lower chin spoiler.

1. You can make a template from carboard, or measure the width of
the bars under the facia that make up the open slots.

2.Transfur tempate or measurements to the 30 x 5 peice of aluminum.

3. Cut aluminum with jig saw and drilled corners. When finished with
cutting, the lower chinspoiler should look lik teeth.

4. drill two to three holes in lower chin spoiler to match holes in upper
chin spoiler.

5. bolt upper chin spoiler in place. and

6.bolt the lower chinspoiler to the upper chin spoiler.
check fitment, file, cut, drill, until it looks right to ya.

Then after your happy with the shape.

1. Measure chin spoiler height.

2. use a 30" peice of angle steel. place it under the edge of chinspoiler.

3. Next place a floor jack under steel angle and chinspoiler.

4. jack chin spoiler up until you get the ground height clearace that
you feel that you need.By bending the chinspoiler up.

so far 5 1/2" ground clearance has worked for me.but I have not driven much.
I first tried a ground clearance of 4.". This was way to low.

I still have to finish and install three more aluminum peice's. To finish
duct work enclosing air path the radiator. Looking for some rubber stripping
that I can use around the edges of ductwork.

Before building these parts, I notice a lot of huge air gaps around the
MP FMIC & radiator. With all these gaps, air is leaking around the
outside edges of radiator & MP FMIC. I beleive these gaps that are
the number one probelem why some SCs run a little warm with FMICs.
So this is why I started to find a way to build some ducting. To guide
or force all incoming air to go though the coolant & IC system.

I don't like the looks of my chinspoiler, it shows up to much. its
kinda old shcool looking, it has a polished aluminum look, have
not painted yet.So it my look better if I would paint it black
so it would not show up as much.

Sam, I can try and get a picture if you want.

Randy

Thanks, Randy. Building one would be nice, but every now and again I like to support the vendors for our cars. I've got so much to do to my SC right now, that it would be much easier for me to just get one from MP. I have limited time to work on it and way too much to get done. I did email Charles as well to get a picture. They turned out pretty dark, but I was able to adjust the contrast and brightness to be able to see the chin spoiler. It's pretty much what I thought it would be. I'm still working on seeing if it will work on my SC. Because of my Xenon front facia, I'm not 100% sure yet that it will work for me. I asked Charles to get a couple measurements for me though, so if he does, I'll know.

Thanks for the info, Randy. I'm sitting with my current grand am air dam with a ground clearance of about 3"+/-. That is very low to the ground which is another concern that I have. So much so that I installed motion sensor on the Xenon facia to warn me of things that are in my path...like curb-stops...

Attachments

• !cid_00f501c82092$7b448020$0a01a8c0@charlestoy.jpg
    !cid_00f501c82092$7b448020$0a01a8c0@charlestoy.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 310
Sam

MY chin portion looks the same as Charles, except I have side walls
behide the facia.I need to find some rubber to use as gasket
to seal edges..

I wanted to use duct work to enhance my cooling. Evey since I modified
a 2000 cobra r front facia for my SC-Bird. The sheet aluminum for
my walls,floor & ,top to make up the ductwork, came from this project.

Randy

Thanks, Randy. Building one would be nice, but every now and again I like to support the vendors for our cars. I've got so much to do to my SC right now, that it would be much easier for me to just get one from MP. I have limited time to work on it and way too much to get done. I did email Charles as well to get a picture. They turned out pretty dark, but I was able to adjust the contrast and brightness to be able to see the chin spoiler. It's pretty much what I thought it would be. I'm still working on seeing if it will work on my SC. Because of my Xenon front facia, I'm not 100% sure yet that it will work for me. I asked Charles to get a couple measurements for me though, so if he does, I'll know.

Thanks for the info, Randy. I'm sitting with my current grand am air dam with a ground clearance of about 3"+/-. That is very low to the ground which is another concern that I have. So much so that I installed motion sensor on the Xenon facia to warn me of things that are in my path...like curb-stops...

That Picture?

Is that the MP one? I might get one looks like it would work great and cut the air down from going under the car at high speed. Maybe Charles can get me a good deal on one

Charles is a good friend !

Him and my dad talked a lot about blower's he helped out on a MP cold air kit I think he would cut me a deal on one racer's discount price :)

Hmm. If he gave you a deal, it'd be bad for business. Everyone would expect one. Anyways, they are cheap enough now, so what exactly do you mean by a deal? Free?

Ionno, I kinda just figured if he'd give you one for free, he'd give Neilbert one also. Which he didn't. But then again..Charles is such a good friend.

Hmm. If he gave you a deal, it'd be bad for business. Everyone would expect one. Anyways, they are cheap enough now, so what exactly do you mean by a deal? Free?

Ionno, I kinda just figured if he'd give you one for free, he'd give Neilbert one also. Which he didn't. But then again..Charles is such a good friend.

Please guy's

I mean like 10% off retail price not free but I am just like you guy's full price its just a try cant hurt right? I get discount prices at Summit Racing, 20% off at Vick Hubbards Speed Shop and 30% off at LJ's Speed and Machine

Last edited:
Please guy's

I mean like 10% off retail price not free but I am just like you guy's full price its just a try cant hurt right? I get discount prices at Summit Racing, 20% off at Vick Hubbards Speed Shop and 30% off at LJ's Speed and Machine

Jim,

You aren't even using MPs supercharger or FMIC (most expensive products)and you still expect a racers discount on an $89 air dam :confused:

David

PS: Have you read this thread ? http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94466

Last edited:
Back