Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: opinions NEEDED! 5spd or automatic?

opinions NEEDED! 5spd or automatic?

I am in the market for a t-bird sc but am torn on the transmission issue due to the scarcity of the 5spds. so especially to all you 5spd owners: is it worth waiting out for a nice 5spd? i grew up on driving a manual and it is a pretty big deal for me. but so is having a car again!

i've been looking for weeks and can only find one possible 5spd worth buying. and it's iffy. every other 5spd has been a fixer-upper sort of deal and i dont have the time to bother with something like that right now. i MIGHT consider a transmission swap for the sake of getting a good condition t-bird but i need to commit to a decision soon b/c i currently don't have a car ...

I love the drive of a 5 speed SC. But If you want to go fast Id go auto. Its just easier and less stressful on all the parts of your 4000lb car with driver (approximate)
    They don't call me "SLOWPOKE" for nothin!
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v...vehicle&id=110
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardoa1 View Post
    I love the filter. Its pimp. paper element and 10Mircron filtration, 12" long cause size matters.

If given a choice I'd rather have a 5 spd. I have owned 2 91s an auto and a five spd definately liked the 5spd better even tho the auto was a lower mileage car. I started out with a 94 5spd which I still have there is a substancial performance difference between the early and late model cars. My 94 is by far faster than the 91s. If you can find a good 94-95 5spd car you will also own one of the more rare models. Good Luck

As Damon pointed out, its more what are your intentions... if you want to race hard to win on the strip, then get an AOD and upgrade it with Lentech stuff, or if its a DD and you only occasionally go racing then the 5spd would be good.

If you live in the city thern I would go with the automatic.....

Look at it this way.....

If there are 20 traffic lights between home and work, there is the possability of having to shift 100 times each way.....

Think about stop and go traffic.....

Autos are much more easier to drive in those conditions.....

On the other hand you have a mazda truck trans with parts that are not being made anymore. I love stick shifts but this trans is a little notchey at best. With both auto`s (4R70W and AOD) the parts are still being made and since they were used in mustangs and just about every other Ford its parts -o- plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by fullride85 View Post
    I am in the market for a t-bird sc but am torn on the transmission issue due to the scarcity of the 5spds. so especially to all you 5spd owners: is it worth waiting out for a nice 5spd?
    Yes.

But to elaborate: I'm more interested in handling than drag racing, so I absolutely love my 5-speed SCs.
    Be excellent to each other.

slowmatics are weak son, don't be a wimp and get one

I have a 5 speed and now i will not even but a auto SC if that tells u anything

thanks for all your input. this has definitely helped.

so from what i'm seeing i'm basically weighing these options:

5spd
    -FUN factor
    -better handling
    -rare

vs

auto
    -better mpg
    -faster
    -cheaper to maintain
    -easier in traffic (i probably wouldnt mind a stick in traffic tho)

i'm really surprised to hear that the auto gets better mpg, and is faster. really surprised, actually . i'm still going to look for a 5spd but if i dont find one within a week i won't feel as bad settling for an auto especially since it will mainly be used for a DD. and if i find a 5spd i'm going to make sure the tranny shifts PERFECTLY before i ever commit.

Quote Originally Posted by fturner View Post
    As Damon pointed out, its more what are your intentions... if you want to race hard to win on the strip, then get an AOD and upgrade it with Lentech stuff, or if its a DD and you only occasionally go racing then the 5spd would be good.
    supposing i were to settle for an automatic, is there an easy way to tell if the car is an AOD or a 4R70W?

Btw i would not say autos are "Faster" just a lot easier to drive in the 1/4mile a lot easier lol

Quote Originally Posted by fullride85 View Post
    thanks for all your input. this has definitely helped.

so from what i'm seeing i'm basically weighing these options:

5spd
    -FUN factor
    -better handling
    -rare

vs

auto
    -better mpg
    -faster
    -cheaper to maintain
    -easier in traffic (i probably wouldnt mind a stick in traffic tho)

i'm really surprised to hear that the auto gets better mpg, and is faster. really surprised, actually . i'm still going to look for a 5spd but if i dont find one within a week i won't feel as bad settling for an auto especially since it will mainly be used for a DD. and if i find a 5spd i'm going to make sure the tranny shifts PERFECTLY before i ever commit.

I beleive he said it was a low milage car not that it got low miles to the gallon. Automatic dont get better gas milage. With a upgrade of a Lentec valve body you can get some real hard shifting and manually shift the car as well hold it in any gear. On the track they are softer on the drive train and give robotic shifting for consistancy. 5 speeds are fun drive buts lots of shifting gets old in traffic

Ken
    Last edited by kenewagner; 11-12-2007 at 02:49 PM.

I guess i dont mind shifting in traffic if your in it every day you get used to it in about a week

Edit: Just what we need another so cal SC Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by kenewagner View Post
    I beleive he said it was a low milage car not that it got low miles to the gallon. Automatic dont get better gas milage. With a upgrade of a Lentec valve body you can get some real hard shifting and manually shift the car as well hold it in any gear. On the track they are softer on the drive train and give robotic shifting for consistancy. % speeds are fun drive buts lots of shifting gets old in traffic

Ken
    oh wow. i guess i might have read that wrong. so if i scratch 'better mpg' and 'faster' off the auto list i am back to square one! aaghhh. it does sound like the autos would be more reliable as a DD. i might have to flip a coin lol.