Thread: Freestar brakes

Freestar brakes

My wife was in a little bumper thumper recently in her Freestar. She was stopped behind a BMW suv and glanced up and saw it moving forward and thought the light had changed. (this is why I don't let her drive my SC, although she did drive it to class today, because of the brakes on the Freestar)

So she gassed it and then noticed the light hadn't changed, but she ended up getting on the brakes hard and still bumped the Beemer. Now the rear brakes were making a loud squalling sound, which has turned into a scrubbing sound.

Is it possible that the brakes didn't release all the way and the pads have been up against the rotors, wearing them out? Could the anti-lock system have been messed up?

Anyone had a brake problem like this before??? Any help will be greatly appreciated. I need to get it fixed, so she doesn't need to drive mine.

Premature brake wear on the rear of the Freestars has been an issue, you're not the only one seeing that. Ford has updated rear pads for them, but I can't say for sure how much of an improvement they are.

cheers
    Ed N.

Thanks Ed. I was always thinking the front brakes went first, since they do more of the stopping. The thing only has 56,000= and I thought it was early for the rear brakes to go. Guess I'll be doing the brakes on it.

David, I've seen them in our shop with less than 50,000 km needing rear brakes ... that's around 30,000 miles.

cheers
    Ed N.