Head Gasket Repair

jleopold

Hey...

I need a seasoned SC'er who can fix the head gasket in my car. Jim D... if you can drive 124 mph in under 11 seconds then I'm thinking you know how to do this... so why not pay you vs. a mechanic that has no idea what to do to a bird. --- Any takers ?
I need pricing, experience you've had and timeline...
What I was hoping to do was clean up the engine area while all the junk was out of the way...(paint hear and there... de-gunk etc.) -- do you know how long it takes to fix this problemm ( days, a day, hours etc ???)

Let me know bucause my girl is sitting in the driveway hurting for some driving...

John
p.s. --- I can bring her to you or you can come to me... for the right price, I'll put you up in a hotel overnight here in Tracy. --- Cuz I'm going to Bakersfield too... Gotta back my boyz !!!

Hey...

I need a seasoned SC'er who can fix the head gasket in my car. Jim D... if you can drive 124 mph in under 11 seconds then I'm thinking you know how to do this... so why not pay you vs. a mechanic that has no idea what to do to a bird. --- Any takers ?
I need pricing, experience you've had and timeline...
What I was hoping to do was clean up the engine area while all the junk was out of the way...(paint hear and there... de-gunk etc.) -- do you know how long it takes to fix this problemm ( days, a day, hours etc ???)

Let me know bucause my girl is sitting in the driveway hurting for some driving...

John
p.s. --- I can bring her to you or you can come to me... for the right price, I'll put you up in a hotel overnight here in Tracy. --- Cuz I'm going to Bakersfield too... Gotta back my boyz !!!

Ohhhh man

Head gasket time I am under the gun right now with this 9 second SC deal not enough time to help right now. Kurt did Wendys SC head gasket change it dident take him long he may be up for the challenge :) make some extra money

Ohhhh man

Head gasket time I am under the gun right now with this 9 second SC deal not enough time to help right now. Kurt did Wendys SC head gasket change it dident take him long he may be up for the challenge :) make some extra money

Replacing the head gasket is some what easy job. But it is not a one day job just to pull the heads and put them right back on in the same day.
Once you have them off you need to check the surface to make sure the head is not warped. That and you might as well have the valve and seals redone while your there.

Kurt

Not too hard, but takes some time. Alot of parts to remove from the engine to get to the heads. Then lets hope the bearings arent shot if coolant got inside the oil - or if the heads are warped, etc ..

Once you get all of the SC stuff out of the way, its just another 3.8 engine.

When the heads are off, it would be a good idea to freshen them up, clean them, grind the valves, etc .. depending on how long the machine shop takes to do this task. And if you want any porting done, etc .. more $$

- Dan

Hmmm...

Okay how about this idea...

New Crate Motor... and be done with it ?
I hear it's probably easier to put in a whole engine and less time.

Thoughts ?

Very unlikely you will find a "new" crate engine. Rebuilt, yes. But you'll have no idea what work was done to it, and it wont have ARP studs, or ported heads, etc etc ... just a stock rebuild. Then you still need to drop it all into the car. How much you want to spend ??

- Dan

recomendation

I'm with Dan on this one...I've done SC head gaskets 5 times now and it is a must to have ARP studs, better head gaskets, and hardened valves(with the gas we use here in California). Those plus the basic head checking and cleaning are the bare minimum I would do. Good luck and keep us posted!

~Jeff

Well that brings me back to doing it myself... or paying someone to do it...

We have a guy in Tracy that is extremely good with SC's. His quote to have it all rockin' and rollin... $1,800.00 --- and he is really good... he services about 15-20 SC' regularly in our area... Ford Master Mech... Saab Airplane Tech... etc. etc. --- and he he's built an SC that just might give Jim a decent run for his money... certainly would beat all of us ---but then again like Jims car... his is a race car now.

Anyway... the guy's place is Auto Specialties in Tracy... he was even thinking of being out club sponsor for the next Breakfast meeting in Tracy...

Back