10% blower pulley minimum requirements ...

PSYANIDE

this topic has been covered before, but it would be nice to get an idea from the sc pros here as to what the minimum requirements are for installing the 10% overdrive pulley.

What i've gathered so far is this. You must have a hi-flow exhaust, IC cooler and/or double IC, cold air intake, shorter supercharger belt, and a larger idler pulley.

what would you add or remove from this list for meeting the minimum requirements for safely installing the 10% pulley?

I stayed with the stock size idlers, but invest in a set of MP tensioner springs to minimize belt slip.

And I don't see why this is such a big deal to overdrive the supercharger an extra 10%. My car is running with the stock exhaust, stock intercooler, and only a K&N cone filter where the airbox used to be. The car has tons of power. Maybe I'll see what you guys mean after my winter FMIC project, but my SC boogies and doesn't knock.

Last edited:
i'd say absolute minimum would be :

-custom downtubes w/ or w/o cats and minus the 90* bend
-hi-flow resonator
-IC fan
-some type a cold air intake would help but i wouldn't think its neccessary

and of course the shorter belt.

I stayed with the stock size idlers, but invest in a set of MP tensioner springs to minimize belt slip.

And I don't see why this is such a big deal to overdrive the supercharger an extra 10%. My car is running with the stock exhaust, stock intercooler, and only a K&N cone filter where the airbox used to be. The car has tons of power. Maybe I'll see what you guys mean after my winter FMIC project, but my SC boogies and doesn't knock.

Ah, but it is "slipping like a mofo" according to your signature, so maybe you aren't really getting the full 10% overdrive. ;)

i'd say absolute minimum would be :

-custom downtubes w/ or w/o cats and minus the 90* bend
-hi-flow resonator
-IC fan
-some type a cold air intake would help but i wouldn't think its neccessary

and of course the shorter belt.
Im assuming having an aftermarket head gasket is pretty much a given?

Im assuming having an aftermarket head gasket is pretty much a given?

I don't think it is absolutely necessary to have an aftermarket gasket as much as it is not to have 13 years of age on the stockers and 5+ years of electrolysis from not regularly changing the coolant. What most people do, including myself, is push it until the HGs blow and then fix/enhance a bunch of stuff. I'm halfway joking, but not really.

Last edited:
Porting the blower inlet and the outlet under the top hat will help the added boost to be effective and not just create more heat.

I was in the process of heavily modding an oval port and the inlet for it with cutting and welding when a foot snow came out of nowhere. So I won't be able to test it until spring.

I have a FMIC, PP 75mm TB, C&L 80mm MAF, Raised top, and cut stock cats out and put a bend instead of a 90. And i'm still scared to put this 10% pully i will have. You guys think i'll be ok?

I'm trying to get a widband right now before i put that pully on just to make sure.

I drove mine all summer with a 10 % already on. I later installed a raised top and underdrives and enlarged the IC tubes. It occasionally detonated but my cats are going or gone.

With all the mods you have, you probably have nothing to worry about. One thing you should replace is the resonator. It is apparently the point of greatest restriction if stock.

Depending on your application you may find 10% is to much OD for your car. In my case, I tested at 5% and 10% and my 1/4 times didn't change.

I would get a 5% SC pulley and see how it goes. If you feel the need to go 10% get a 5% JS pulley. No need to change a belt and less chance of belt slippage.

1. replace/remove resonator
2. at least a double intercooler with IC fan

94/95's take quite a bit more preparation to run a 10% safely. Wouldn't go there unless the heads, cam, supercharger, exhaust and DIC had been done. Otherwise, you're asking for detonation and a hg job. Might wanna go with a Bronco II condensor too. Wish I hadn't jumped in so quickly or maybe even quicker so that I could work in warmer weather.

I don't think we know what year he is dealing with. I don't think the heads and the cam would be a requirement for just 10 %. If the blower and inlet were worked along with the remaining things mentioned it shouldn't be an issue.

What did you mean when you said you wished you hadn't jumped in so quickly anyways?

Ah, but it is "slipping like a mofo" according to your signature, so maybe you aren't really getting the full 10% overdrive. ;)

I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure the belt catches up top because I'll see spikes in boost after mashing down the throttle on the street. But then again, there is a crapload of rubber all over the snout and the belt is all shiny.
MP tensioner springs here I come!

I don't think we know what year he is dealing with. I don't think the heads and the cam would be a requirement for just 10 %. If the blower and inlet were worked along with the remaining things mentioned it shouldn't be an issue.

Car is definitely a 94/95.
How hard do you plan on running the car? If really hard, prepare to do HG's sometime if you run the 10%.

If not, 5% is fine until you get some bigger things out of the way.

What did you mean when you said you wished you hadn't jumped in so quickly anyways?

Just that I wish I had the sense to ask a question like this first. Hard to believe Ford was playing so close to the edge and so far from the limit.

if its a 94 blower i'd be very cautious even running a 5%.

ive got ported heads, full exhaust, FMIC anda bunch of other stuff. i was running a 5% pushing 16 lbs with no problems. but i'd even be a bit scared to try a 10% without porting the blower...which is my next step :D

if its a 94 blower i'd be very cautious even running a 5%.

ive got ported heads, full exhaust, FMIC anda bunch of other stuff. i was running a 5% pushing 16 lbs with no problems. but i'd even be a bit scared to try a 10% without porting the blower...which is my next step :D

I have a ported blower, full exhaust, DBL IC, and a bunch of other stuff and run 16lbs with an early style pulley. :p

Heads and a nice cam are my next project

Back