Building molds for carbon fiber hood. What style hood?

Which Style Hood?

• 3" Cowl Induction, pins on 4 corners

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • 3' Cowl Induction stock hinges, pin down front

Votes: 36 40.0%
  • Heat Extractor, pins on 4 corners

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Heat Extractor, stock hinges, pin down front

Votes: 43 47.8%

• Total voters

Slysc

If someone were to make a new mold for an SC hood and make carbon fiber hoods and fiberglass hoods, what style hood should they do?

1. 3" Cowl Induction Hood, pin on 4 corners.
2. 3" Cowl Induction Hood, stock hinges, pin down front.
3. Heat extractor hood, pin on 4 corners
4. Heat extractor hood, stock hinges, pin down front.
5. Other

What might the heat extractor version look like?I vote for a bolt on style.And I've always loved the cobra r svo hood and wish someone made those for our cars.

Jay

I would love to see one styled after the WS6 Trans Am. I love the quality and looks of the Cervini Mach 1 but it needs to be another inch and a half taller. Any of the hoods should use the factory hinges and latches. Lift off is too much hasle for a daily driver or if you are at any gas station and want to check your fluids, or break down. If you are by yourself it would be no fun trying to get a lift-off hood off your car without scratching it to hell.

Last edited:
The 4 pin style isn't too popular but we could do it with just one mold whereas to use the stock hinges we would have to build a mold to make an inner and another mold to make the outer, then laminate them together. Naturally that drives the cost of the hood up significantly.

The heat extractor would be similar to the design that is available for the 03 Cobras. I'll get a graphic designer to draw one up.

Heat extractor with pins on four corners.

Hinges get in the way too much and a hood off of the car exposes more sunlight to see what you are working on and nothing is in the way.

Yeah a heat extractor styled like the one for the 03 cobra that would be bad a**.I'd definetly be interested as long as it's not crazy expensive.

Jay

Is this wishful thinking or someone is goingto make this? I like SCP inc's cowl hood but would like it to be 3.5 center rise!

I would like to see some different designs than are currently available. I REALLY would like a Firebird style TA hood that is about an inch higher than the stock one, but I have to figure out what will clear the top on my blower before I commit.

Chris

Im in for a 3" cowl hood with 4 pin on's.. Heat extractor is just not the right look for the car but a 3" cowl will make the car look beefy as HeIl

And this is a reality if enough people are interested.. A carbon fiber cowl hood will weigh probably less than 1/2 of what a fiberglass hood will..

I know on my Talon the stock hood weighs around 50lbs.. And the carbon fiber is a little under 10.. Let me not get started on the hatch and doors (5lbs for the hatch and 15lbs on the doors)

If anyone says Cobra R style hood I hope you come to Carlisle or the Shootout cause I will kick you in the nuts..

The pricing that I'm getting back preliminarily is saying that carbon fiber sheet is $50/yard. It's going to take 3 yards per layer for an SC hood. That's just the sheet. Then we've got resin, labor and the ammorization of the mold cost into the piece price (depending on the volume). I should have a pretty accurate per hood cost soon.

3' Cowl Induction stock hinges, pin down front

$450 is very reasonable for a hood considering one for ricers are around $350. Nice job Sly.

$450 is MY guess...not Dans price. I want to see what it will be. I would bet it is more than that since only one layer would be close to nine yards.

Chris

I'm with Jason, the reverse vent heat extractor...

But, I've always loved the idea of a 2000 Cobra R hood for our cars. Sign me up right now!

-Joel

Back