Building molds for carbon fiber hood. What style hood?

Which Style Hood?

• 3" Cowl Induction, pins on 4 corners

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • 3' Cowl Induction stock hinges, pin down front

Votes: 36 40.0%
  • Heat Extractor, pins on 4 corners

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Heat Extractor, stock hinges, pin down front

Votes: 43 47.8%

• Total voters
A GOOD Carbon Fiber hood for an Eclipse is $550+ shipped to your door.. I would expect a non-mainstream hood like the one Dan is planning on to be in the $650+ range shipped..

3" cowl is too much. Need something a little more subtle, about half the height.

Ira

I agree. Some of us live in states that have state imposed hood hights above the dash board, depending on the year of the car, for street use. The Super Coupe is limited to 1 7/8" about the dash board.

Ralph
94 Red SC

I'm shopping for a hood right now. I need more clearance, so if you would do heat extractor, would there be more rise near the center for say a taller SC top?

If not I would need to go with a cowl hood.

so after this poll, what? is there going to be molds made? maybe a GP? if so i hope the hinged heat extractor would be one thats made. i'd definatly be down for one. it'd be sooo sweet!!

I have been working with a guy who does custom fiberglass and carbon fiber and he will be providing a quote for a carbon fiber hood base upon an order of about 10-15 of them. If I post the price and it doesn't make sense, we probably won't proceed with the building of the molds but if the quote looks good and there is a demand, we will build them.

OK, here's the "hood scoop", I can get a carbon fiber hood made which has only the outside layer and still have structural pieces molded in where the hinges will go. The plan for the first mold is to be a heat extractor hood with extra clearance. The mold will be made using a mocked up cervini mach 1 hood in which the nostriles have been closed off and the heat extractor vents are forward of that area. The vents will be somewhat like the picture attached and the additional hood clearance will be the same as the cervini.
The price we are shooting for is $400 each. The finish might not be the kind of finish that you could leave unpainted to admire the carbon fiber mat under the clear resin. If that is an important feature to anyone, we may try to develop that. At this time I won't know the weight of the finished hood and the quality of the finish. If someone want's to be the guinea pig to put up cash for the first hood, I could work out a better price. PM me if you're that guy. After the first one, I'll have the pictures and specs. etc.

Attachments

• heat extractor hood.jpg
    heat extractor hood.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 190
So is there only going to be one year of hood made? I might of missed it but I would need a 97... is this acceptable?

-Joel

I'd go with 3'' cowl, anything smaller won't clear my new set up:D.Cobra R hood has about 3'' cowl.Are you going to make them for early models only?3'' cowl shouldn't be too tall,here is the picture from inside the car with Cobra r hood.

Attachments

• hid 006.jpg
    hid 006.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 182
I like the look of the heat extractors it should look sweet.As others have asked what year cars is the hood gonna be for?

Jay

My thought in regards to the style of carbon fiber hood. As there is no heat extractor version available in any material, I like the idea of a heat extractor as the first carbon fiber model. If folks want a hood like one that already exists, they can still get that hood in fiberglass now while the market grows for these carbon fiber units.

If possible, i would suggest that in making any hood, the process be built such that a change over in hood center is not a significant cost. Focus on getting the outside dimensions accurate and make the center section so that it can be changed based on the need. Even better, make the front part of the hood piece also variable to handle the different model years.

I wouldn't be against making the heat extractor hood with 3" or so of clearance in the center.

Anyone buying the first one? How much extra clearance? I need a 'lil extra', probably as much as the Mach I hood.

When do you need money for the first one?

I sent him a PM. I wouldn't be surprised if others did. I'll buy the first one to get the ball rolling if no one else will.

I have a few volunteers to buy the first hood. I'll be working on the mock-up hood we will use to make the mold. I'll show some pictures of it before we make the mold. It should have the same center clearance as a Mach 1 style hood.

Ok so $400 is not a bad price. If its that light, I mean lighter than my glass hood, I would like it made as a pin on i really dont see me opening and closing a new hood, lift off for me. How about a trunk lid. One that weights like nothing would be great. doors would be nice too. Light is fast.:D

NO OPTIONS FOR A PRO STOCK HOOD??????????????????:) HAAAAAAAA

A trunk lid would be nice to have, as well. Although, that is where you need the weight.

I was lookin at my '95 SC parts car and it had a steel trunk lid, but it looked like the bracing was all fiberglass.

I really don't mind which hood is made, but just as long as it has some height built into it to clear the blower that I am going to run. So in order to do that I would need the 3" hood probably.

Definitely 4-pin though. It's WAAAYY easier to work on a car with the hinges and hood out of the way.

With the hood design, I would think that 4pin only would make it a little cheaper, but to support the hinges I feel would lead to more sales. Adding a few stress points to the hinge corners should cover those that want to add 4 pins rather than use the hinges and if it adds additional cost to the whole unit, I would believe the cost would be minor for the added benefit to sales.

Either way it isn't a big problem.

Build all of the hoods with bungs on them to bolt up to the stock hinges and if someone wants a 4-pin hood, drill the two holes.

Urg. If its like your describing it make sure you've got two holes where the Honda badge should go. :(

Back