Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Evans Coolant Update -- 2-yrs running

Evans Coolant Update -- 2-yrs running

Hello, I have been running the Evans Coolant in my daily drivers for the past 2 years and noticed a build-up of black sludge in the overflow tank. It's thicker than the regular evans.

I've cleaned it up and will check it again if a few months.

The car is still cooling at optimum (normal) efficiency.

I'd call Evans and ask them about it. Was your motor completely clean before adding the evans, or did you do a conversion with a flush to get out the old coolant?

I assume you are running the NPG+?

Yup, super clean. I built it myself :-) I was going to give Evans a call and run it by them. I guess I should have saved some of the sludge though...

Yeah, it's NPG+.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKanterakis View Post
    Yup, super clean. I built it myself :-) I was going to give Evans a call and run it by them. I guess I should have saved some of the sludge though...

Yeah, it's NPG+.
    Did you find anything out from Evans?
    It's only impossible until we do it.

New to the nest - 1995 SC 5-speed - White exterior, grey leather interior, 99% stock.

24-year owner - '93 SC AOD (non-locking TC). Same car, same original paint!
    Current setup: 12.550 @ 111.09, 1.917 60ft, no bottle.

unfortunately, no. I let all that sludge wash out and didn't save any.

I'll probably check again soon and see if there's any more sludge in there. If so, I'll send some into Evans and ask their input. Otherwise, this stuff is the bomb! and I totaly recomend it.

My experience is that the Evans darkens with age and when I asked about it that was normal. Contaminants.

Are you running it low pressure or 0 pressure?
    They don't call me "SLOWPOKE" for nothin!
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v...vehicle&id=110
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardoa1 View Post
    I love the filter. Its pimp. paper element and 10Mircron filtration, 12" long cause size matters.

>noticed a build-up of black sludge in the overflow tank

Still running a pressurized system, I take it...

-=-=-=-

From EvansCooling.com...

"EVANS 'NPG +' WATERLESS ENGINE COOLANT.

Secondary Benefits of NPG Coolant For Gasoline Engines:

Non-pressurized: (or low pressure, i.e. 4.0 psig) decreased leaks, lower pressure parts, decrease of thermal flexing or cycling (component life extended), elimination of accidents resulting from accidental removal of radiator caps from hot engines.

Allows for a totally closed system (Hermetically Sealed) requiring no service checks and is not subject to contamination. (...etc...)"
    Last edited by KMT; 03-24-2009 at 12:57 AM.

I drained my NPG-R after a year of running it when I installed a new cooling fan on my car. As expected, it had changed color to a brownish color. Nothing to worry about, as again, they say that is what will happen.

I didn't have any "sludge" though there were particles in the drained coolant, likely mostly due to scale and build up in the heater tubes and heater core collecting (since the block, water pump, and radiator were all freshly cleaned).

I strained the coolant through cheese cloth before pouring back into the radiator when I buttoned it all up. I still run the stock pressure cap. I had two issues with aftermarket cooling fan and controller that could have lead to a significant problem if I was just running Antifreeze and Water. The extra safety of the higher boiling point of the NPG-R, and the elimination of corrosion and no freezing is what has me using the product in my seasonal vehicles.
    Last edited by Mike8675309; 03-24-2009 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike8675309 View Post
    I drained my NPG+ after a year of running it when I installed a new cooling fan on my car. As expected, it had changed color to a brownish color. Nothing to worry about, as again, they say that is what will happen.

I didn't have any "sludge" though there were particles in the drained coolant, likely mostly due to scale and build up in the heater tubes and heater core collecting (since the block, water pump, and radiator were all freshly cleaned).

I strained the coolant through cheese cloth before pouring back into the radiator when I buttoned it all up. I still run the stock pressure cap. I had two issues with aftermarket cooling fan and controller that could have lead to a significant problem if I was just running Antifreeze and Water. The extra safety of the higher boiling point of the NPG+, and the elimination of corrosion and no freezing is what has me using the product in my seasonal vehicles.

Since I'll be running a stock-sized radiator and making sizeable power, I figured I'd try the Evans NPG+. I can get 4 gals for $110. Although I don't have an AC condensor to contend with, I do have a large FMIC partially blocking the radiator. Hey Mike, due to the cold ambient temps, do refrain from starting your SC when in storage when using Evans?

New to the nest - 1995 SC 5-speed - White exterior, grey leather interior, 99% stock.

Quote Originally Posted by pablon2 View Post
    Since I'll be running a stock-sized radiator and making sizeable power, I figured I'd try the Evans NPG+. I can get 4 gals for $110. Although I don't have an AC condensor to contend with, I do have a large FMIC partially blocking the radiator. Hey Mike, due to the cold ambient temps, do refrain from starting your SC when in storage when using Evans?
    To clarify... I run NPG-R, not the NPG+. Sorry if I confused them as I just think NPG, and forget the - and + stuff. NPG-R has higher boiling point than NPG+, and because of that it will get more viscous at a higher temp than the NPG+.

Thus I won't "regularly" run the car when the daily average temp drops below 30. This because the NPG-R thickens and shrinks as it cools, eventually getting to a point where, while flowable, I'd have to add more fluid to keep it from cavitating. I will start the car 2 or 3 times from November to March to keep things in shape and take care of the battery. I try to do this during the warmest part of the day. That said, I did drive the car to the storage place, two years ago, when the outside temp was 28 degrees and didn't have any issue other than it took a little longer to come up to temp.

Please keep in mind that a Water/Antifreeze mix is better able to transfer heat than Evans NPG+ is. In fact, straight water is the best. What that means is that your operating temperature will be higher with Evans vs if you were running straight water. Evans won't drop your coolant temp, but what it will do is ensure you don't "boil over" at the coolant temp you are at.

Evans recommends actually removing one's thermostat. Has anyone running Evans experimented with this?

Quote Originally Posted by DamonSlowpokeBaumann View Post
    My experience is that the Evans darkens with age and when I asked about it that was normal. Contaminants.

Are you running it low pressure or 0 pressure?
    Yeah, it's at Zero pressure. I gutted the radiator cap. I guess it's contaminants, but only what can get in from that tiny hold at the top of the overflow tank.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonSlowpokeBaumann View Post
    I read that the color change is normal and is due to the heat from the engine.

Id like to hear more about this. What are the bennefits and if its worth the extra expense. No Tstat and no Pressure cap

Quote Originally Posted by ricardoa1 View Post
    Id like to hear more about this. What are the bennefits and if its worth the extra expense. No Tstat and no Pressure cap
    The purpose of the pressure cap on cooling system is to help increase the boiling point of water to prevent boiling. When the water/coolant mixture is able to boil, anywhere that air is, transfer of heat is not occurring. This creates localized temperature spikes and pressure spikes which can damage the internal components of your engine.

Evans NPG, NPG+ and NPG-R are a formulation of coolant that requires no WATER component. They have very high boiling points, so high that if your cooling system is working properly, it would be extremely unlikely for the boiling point to be achieved within your cooling system operated at ambient air pressure.

Downsides to the product:
    #1 - Availability. You won't find this at your local auto parts store, or gas station should you have a failure.
    #2 - It can not have any water added to it. If there is more than 2% water in the NPG, you effectively kill any increased boiling point, thus you will need to treat it like regular anti-freeze. (thus switching to it requires very special procedures to purge all water from your system)

Upsides:
    #1 - high boiling point
    #2 - lifetime coolant (never need to replace... except for the NPG-R version)
    #3 - Reduced pressure in your cooling system, possibly increasing life of hoses.

Note the recommendation to remove the thermostat mostly applies to the NPG, not NPG+. The viscosity of NPG is quite high, and to use it typically you need a special, slower turning water pump, and you remove the thermostat as it restricts flow too much at partial openings. NPG+ was developed to increase the viscosity of the coolant so that it could be used without a special water pump. Personally I run a thermostat with the NPG-R as I daily drive the car in the summer and prefer to let the engine manage it's temperature.