Split port or SC heads?

Slysc

If you were building a 3.8 and you had a set of split port heads and a set of SC heads and you needed to choose which ones to build up and intake manifold was not an issue, would you start with the late model split port castings or the SC head casting?

Either one would be ported and 1.54 exhaust, 1.85 intake valves would be put in.

All out race car? Street/strip car? I would have to see the max that each would flow. I think the SC heads have proven themselves but someone(s) have also done very well with the SPI heads. If it were me, I would go with the SPI heads on the car in full race setup to see how much I could get out of it. May wanna check with some of the guys at v6power. You may not get a warm welcome when you ask that sort of question....I know they are not fans of mine....

Chris

I'd probably run the Splitport heads, but it kind of depends on what you're looking to do with them.

-Rod

I wanna see what SC heads can do with a turbo. We already know what the split ports will do.

Look at Matt Naeuharth (sp) and you can see what they will do with a turbo. I am not sure which is a better RACE set of heads though.

Chris

white95v6 is matts sn here... he's making just a shade under 600 ponies on pump gas... running mid nines. :)

Supersix Stage 3 heads.

Split Port
260 CFM Intake/170 CFM Exhaust.

Reg Port
249 CFM Intake/181 CFM Exhaust.

On forced induction isnt it better to have a higher exhaust flow?

I would pick based on the intake manifold design. A larger plenum is useful in a straight turbo, especially if you are looking at street racing vs a blast down the 1/4 mile.

I think the SC heads can be made to flow quite well. I just don't know what you can do with the spit port and how the cost to achieve either would be. I don't believe either one is inherently better than the other.

If you were building a 3.8 and you had a set of split port heads and a set of SC heads and you needed to choose which ones to build up and intake manifold was not an issue, would you start with the late model split port castings or the SC head casting?

Either one would be ported and 1.54 exhaust, 1.85 intake valves would be put in.

SC heads are far better

Regular SC heads will out flow Supersix stage 3 heads by a long shot just takes time porting using the right valve size. For 3.8V6 Supercharged engine SC heads are best to get the high flow numbers to make solid horsepower split ports are no match

Supersix Stage 3 heads
Split Port
260 CFM Intake/170 CFM Exhaust. these flow numbers are not good at all

Last edited:
I ended up going with the 96 non split port mustang head, basically the same as an SC head. but has a better heat treating and a little thicker deck. and use smaller 7mm valves. which is less of an air obstruction in the ports. I will try to get some pics today.

Back