Aftermarket FAN Questions...

C

cudaz101

Aftermarket FAN Questions...

I picked up a 94 SC/Auto, it had the engine replaced by ford for a few reasons, it was unedr warranty...
Anyway, this guy I got it from has put only a 1000 or so miles on the car since it has been done...He had an aftermarket fan installed, and had no paperwork on the thing so I could better understand how to use this thing properly. It has a unit attached to it with four wires connected to it...THis small box also has a dial on it that has no indicator saying + or -, or temp or anything else...The dial does turn almost 360 Degrees though...I messed around with it and it made no changes...It seems to kick in an increment after the "M" on the temp gauge..THis is too damned hot for me...I don't like that much temp guys...What do I do?? Any ideas on this fan motor??? I will add this..When that fan kickes on it sounds like a damn Helocopter and the eng. temp gauge goes down to the "M" in a big hurry then it shuts off..It is like a 30sec. duty cycle is all this thing does...I want this motor to last man, and I don't see that happening at these temps....Just running down the HWY it stays at a more than exceptable temp, but in town it is not cuttin' it at all by my standards anyways...Am I wrong on this, is This temp good to go in town at lights and stuff???

HELP!!!!

Thanx....

Setting the fan...

Turn the key to the ON position while the car is bone cold but don't start the car. Get out there and turn the knob (counterclockwise I think) until the fan comes on. That'll be the temp of the outside air. Turn the switch back to where you started. Start the car and let it idle till the thermostat opens up. You'll feel full pressure on the upper hose (should be a little before N) when the t-stat is fully opened. Wait about a minute longer once it's opened. Turn the switch towards where the fan kicked on again. Stop when the fan starts running. You've just successfully set you're fan switch. Have fun..

Paul

Re: Setting the fan...

PABLO,
Bro...Thanks so much...I will do as you said and let ya all know the outcome...Hope this works man...

Cheers

You're results may be different, depending on if the car has a 180 or 195 degree t-stat. Robert Shaw Gen I (orange/white package), model 330-180 is a good replacement if you want to make sure you have a 180 degree in there. Cost ifs about $5.99 at Autozone.

Paul

Hey Pablo,
I will reset my fan motor first, paying attention to my Temp Gauge and my flow from the t-stat, if it is close to your example I could assume that it is a 180. If it is not, and I like my temp results after fan reset, then I will have to consider it later I guess...That fan really gets busy, and cools fast..When it runs...Short duty cycle...

I noticed that you are from Memphis TN...I went to school in Millington TN NAS, for Aircraft tech school...Did Beal street, or was it burbon st....Sh!it I can't remember..Did my share of damage at Silky sullivans as well...And don't forget the playboy club...LOL...Spendy Joint...Anyways I had a good time in your fair city...The summer heat and humudity got the best of me I'm afraid...Don't know how you folks do it man...

Cheers

We, uh, stay inside with the A/C on full blast. :lol: Beale St. is ok, I'm more a laid back bar kinda guy, so I go to Overton Sq. with the guys. Too bad you're still not here cause I really need more SC'ers around. Take it easy.

Paul

SH!T.....Won't reset man...

Paul or anyone else,
I did what you said, but the fan would not respond at cold temp. I am wondering if the fan switch cluster is bad...It is a very new piece of gear though, with only like 1200 mi logged on it...

I took a closer look at the fan...The wire connection cluster is facing the firewall, and there are connection symbols. Here they are as you look at them facing toward the back of the car.

C - M - G - + -

B -

The M connector has no wire on it...THis I am assuming is a Manual switch?? The C & B Connectors have heavy RED power wires to them, and a BLACK connected to the G connection, then finally a GREEN connected to the + connector...The B assuming it is Battery is from the Bat. and the C is connected in the center connection of the connector by the airbox accompanied by the GREEN wire... There are Three connections on the connector by the airbox, one appears to be broken off and the other two are used by the red and the green. Hope this is clear enough for some help....

Also I can feel/hear the fan switch make a sound when I passed a certain point on the counterclockwise turn you told me to make, but the fan never kicked on. You cold just hear and feel the thing click when you passed that one spot...The spot being well before it was origionally...

THanx in advance...

Back