Thread: 96 lx electrical problem!

96 lx electrical problem!

I haven't driven my 96 lx for about 3 weeks and i drove to town today all is fine except the alt guage was really low at idle i didnt think anything of it. On my way how down the highway i smell burning wires didnt see anysmoke or anything and then my dome light started flashing really fast :lol: and i got home car reeks of burnt wires and the dash lights and the parking lights stayed on.

Has this happend to anybody else:tongue: my car has remote start also i think that may have something to do with it. Anybody have some other good ideas where to dig in on this.

I checked out the remote start all looks well no burnt wires. Could the light switch just of burnt out causing the dash lights and park lights to stay on?

Quote Originally Posted by tim-g View Post
    ..................Could the light switch just of burnt out causing the dash lights and park lights to stay on?
    I think that's a good place to start. Unplug the connector/s to the main light switch and see what happens.

I pulled the headlight switch out and it looks fine but the plug in is burnt what am i suppose to do about that?

A connector can melt for various reasons. A wrong fuse will allow the wires to carry excessive current, a nicked wire will heat up at the point where it is damaged, or arcing due to a poor connection will produce heat. Arcing can happen inside the switch or inside the connector if a wire was nicked when the terminal was crimped on. Depending on the materials used, arcing inside the switch could cause the connector to melt before the switch.
    Hers what I would do:
    1) Verify that all the fuses for the lighting circuits are the right amperage.
    2) Buy a new or used connector along with a short length of the harness and splice it into the existing harness. Check if Headlight Switch Pigtail 99-8317 is suitable at this site: http://www.source-products.com/publi...lpha_list1.htm
    3) Replace the headlight switch.