Thread: are oem thermostats fail safe open ?

are oem thermostats fail safe open ?

are the stock motorcraft t-stat fail safe open ?? , if so if they do fail should the copper cylinder inside the t-stat seat flush or popped out ?

Absolutely not.. Why would they be Ford wants to sell you parts or new cars. Go to Autozone they sell failsafe thermostats CHEAP. It is the only to go.

i got one from autozone, but it doesnt lock in place like the motorcraft one , makes it a pain to install it on the manifold..

i was just asking because i installed a used motorcraft instead of the fail safe one, but i noticed the copper cylinder sticking out

Maybe I missed some thing or your car is different but the one I got for my 94 is a direct replacement.Other than the gasket its pretty much a standard replacement.?????

so yours locks in the thermostat housing? i did some research and apparently the only ones that lock are the oem ..

Fail safe locks the thermostat in the open position the first time the car overheats. Why??? I guess they figure that it may not operate right again and that it would otherwise stick closed causing the car to... well.. ummm.. overheat.
    I used one for a while and decided it was a piece of junk. I went back to a normal one.

As for installation, just use some RTV around the edge to hold it in place.
    Red 90 SC/AOD- Primary DD. Restored.
    Black 90 SC/5 Spd- 2nd DD Restored.
    White 90 SC/AOD- w/290,000.. retired

cool thanks ,ill just keep the oem in there don't want to play with the housing anymore ,what would be an indication of a failed tstat ? really high temps?