1st time SC owner

PaxtonShelby

Hi all,

I just picked up a white 1990 SC auto from a local owner. My 1995 SHO was the victim of a careless 76 year old driver who rear-ended me 3 weeks ago at 35 mph. I came out fine but the SHO didn't fare so well. I've always had Fords ( Mustangs '87GT - '88GT conv - '66 GT coupe - '66 supercharged 5 spd coupe, Taurus SHO, Ranger, Explorers, '68 LTD ), but this is my first Bird. It's super clean and straight, and the interior is immaculate. The car has 134k on it, but it runs like new. The tranny was rebuilt in the last few years ( not many miles on it ), the head gaskets have been replaced ( is that a common problem with boosted birds? ), and the master cylinder / pump / accumulator assembly has been recently replaced. All that the car really needs are tires. I'm thinking about getting snow tires on the factory 16" rims ( the car is a handful here in PA when it snows ), but the rims are so clean I might want to pick up a rough old set of rims.

I'd like to get some Cobra R style rims for it to run from Spring thru Fall. A local guy has a set made for the Bird/SHO cars with the 5x4.25 pattern and proper backspacing. He said they're 17 x 8 and have the silver finish, and that they were sold by FRPP back in the day. He's asking $250, which I thought seemed pretty fair. What do you folks think? I'm considering picking them up and having them powdercoated with a "cermakrome" finish - looks like chrome, but way more durable.

The car has a rear spoiler that I was told by the seller is not factory. It looks pretty good though, so I think I'll leave it on. Any of you know if it is off of a regular bird or maybe aftermarket?

I bought the car for $2,000. Once I post the photos, let me know if you think I did ok on the deal.

Looking forward to chatting here on the forum. Thanks!

Ok - that's it for now. I'll try to post up some pics shortly.

Attachments

• ford%20nat[1]2.jpg
    ford%20nat[1]2.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 68
  • ford%20nat[1]3.jpg
    ford%20nat[1]3.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 68
  • ford%20nat[1]4.jpg
    ford%20nat[1]4.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 96
  • ford%20nat[1]5.jpg
    ford%20nat[1]5.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 92
  • ford%20nat[1]6.jpg
    ford%20nat[1]6.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
....congrats and welcome.........$250 for a set of Cobra R's in good condition is a steal........the rear spoiler was either dealer installed or aftermarket....as far as I know the rear wing was never OEM on the SC.....
z

Holy crap that thing is pretty. Usually i'm not a fan of white cars but that looks nice I don't know why. You stole that car great deal.

Welcome

Thanks z90. I was told the trunk lid was replaced because someone busted out the trunk lock during an attempted break-in. So maybe the car the lid came from had the spoiler already on it. The only downside for me is that the spoiler is heavy, and when parked on an upslope the trunk doesn't want to stay open.

Here are a few more photos. Since all of these were taken, the previous owner had the rear and quarter windows tinted ( 20% ? ) and the doors tinted one shade lighter. It really sets the car off. I just hope the local police don't mind it. You can still see inside the car from the sides - it's not like limo tint. I guess I'll find out soon enough...

The previous owner also tinted the rear taillights. And he said the front bumper is not original because it doesn't say SC under the license frame. Do all SC's have the SC on the front bumper? He said other than that the bumper is identical to a SC bumper.

I have also attached a few other photos. One is my Ivy Green '66 Mustang and the other is my wife's Emberglow '66 GT coupe. My Dad's '57 Bird is here awaiting final reassembly and hopefully will be back on the road this spring.

Thanks again folks. Looking forward to learning about these SCs!!!

Attachments

• ford%20nat[1]7.jpg
    ford%20nat[1]7.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Digital Camera download 11-21-2007 111.jpg
    Digital Camera download 11-21-2007 111.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 57
  • Digital Camera download 11-21-2007 115.jpg
    Digital Camera download 11-21-2007 115.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Digital Camera download 11-21-2007 142.jpg
    Digital Camera download 11-21-2007 142.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Digital Camera download 11-21-2007 279.jpg
    Digital Camera download 11-21-2007 279.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 52
Holy crap that thing is pretty. Usually i'm not a fan of white cars but that looks nice I don't know why. You stole that car great deal.

Welcome

Thanks! This is my first white car. So far I really like it. If I don't look at the odometer it's like the car is only 3 years old. ( except for those goofy automatic shoulder belts!!! )

Hey if you don't like the automatic seatbelts i know there is a way to make them manual. I don't exactly know how but I know there is a way.

Thanks for that info. I'll probably leave the belts alone unless they begin to malfunction, but it's good to know there is an alternative. I already have 2 cars apart in the garage - something needs to get reassembled - soon!! :eek:

I have noticed that my driver's side belt makes a fair amount of noise ( a chattering / rattling sound ) when travelling along the roofline after opening / closing the door. Is there something I can do to cure that? Maybe the track needs lubricated? If that's it, what should I use?

Back