sts remote turbo

I'm gonna do it someday. I won't waste it on an auto rotor car though. It would make more sense on the M90 where if you don't overdrive it, it does quite well.

With a properly sized turbo, you could actually under drive the blower, have really nice down low torque, and pull hard all the way through the rpm range while cutting a bunch of parasitic loss from normally overdriving the piss out of it.

Imagine 25psi at the intake manifold with a stock m90 and a stock pulley and no belt slip.

That said, with a properly sized turbo, all alone, you could do pretty much the same thing. It's just not as interesting.

Looks like you're right about the boost stacking. I wasn't accounting for the positive displacement of the blower.

We need a better selection of smileys. Like one that symbolizes "I'm a moron".

Looks like you're right about the boost stacking. I wasn't accounting for the positive displacement of the blower.

We need a better selection of smileys. Like one that symbolizes "I'm a moron".

doh.gif

There you go, Dan.

Mike you got me convinced. :D
But its more complicated to put it in your terms. And its easier to make a conclusion about the results, and not the thoery. Heat and different drive ratios will play an effect in how boost will end up being at the manifold. Thats why Hellions results played out the way they did. And thats why it was easier to quote as 2+2=4

Im on this bandwagon too, and have talked to someone about doing one for me. But Time, money and a wedding ahead will postpone me from doing it for an undermined about out time.

I would be shocked if I did something like this within the next 5 years. I figured out the good Turbo to look for, so I keep an eye out for one of those. Note that I would plan in twin intercoolers when I do this. One on the outlet of the turbo, and then another on the outlet of the supercharger. This to keep heat under control and not require such a large surface area for any single intercooler.

The STS kit is nice in that it is already built and would likely provide some benefit, though certainly isn't going to be optimized for our car. (the compressor section on the turbo will probably be too small) But you could certainly have fun with it.:D

so what is the list of parts that would be needed to do a single remote turbo install, asuming that we are going to blow through the maf. Also, what size turbo and ar. on the hotside are we looking for.

Well a little update on my deal. I was all setup for my SC to get a remote system. The motor and tranny were stolen and bought a Mark VIII to get me here and there. I am in the middle of a law suit to get better control of my trust fund and the attorney and the case are eating up my current income so things are on hold.

I love the STS system and the sound is so cool with the turbo sitting where the muffler should be and acts as a muffler. So with a remote system you can run a 2 to one exhuast and it goes to the turbo that sits where the muffler was.

I would like to do a compound setup but I think I will just run a remote turbo and see what happens. Time will tell!;)

Stephen

I have messed around wit hjthe rear mount stuff and dont like it because of oil lines running the lenght of the car, Noisy oil scavenge pump that can fai lat any time. Plumbing a cold side all the way down the car.....I like putting the turbo under the hood where it can gravity drain back. Which is actually cheaper because once you add the cost of the lenghts of lines you need plus a pump its more spendy. If you do the work yourself you can build a conventional turbo setup under the hood for cheaper. Also turbochargers like hot expanding gases they have more velocity. At the rear of the car the gases have lost velocity. They fix this with a tighter turbine scroll but on the street with a small displacement motor the rear mount will most likely have a slower response than a conventional mounted turbo. You can still get the STS sound out of a conventional also. Its called mufflerless as the sound you are hearing is the turbine spinning. If you put a muffler on you muffler the turbine. You can also U turb the exhaust and you woulnt even need to mess with the exhaust manifolds. basically run the driverside bank 2s outlet under the trans or bel housing (wherever clearance is best) then Y it together with a sharp curve coming out of bank 1 and route the pipe bac kup front to the airbox area. Then place the turbocharger there and find a way to get the downpipe back. get creative and think things thru.

You can also U turb the exhaust and you woulnt even need to mess with the exhaust manifolds. basically run the driverside bank 2s outlet under the trans or bel housing (wherever clearance is best) then Y it together with a sharp curve coming out of bank 1 and route the pipe bac kup front to the airbox area. Then place the turbocharger there and find a way to get the downpipe back. get creative and think things thru.

Something like that (grand national style) has already been done on an SC, and so have several other turbo configurations.

David

With a grand national style you will have to modify the manifolds. The way I'm talking about (if you can find the room) is to leave the stock manifolds in the oem position and build a Y pipe off of them that will U turn back upfront. Kinda like what alot of the modular guys do; Helion kit, BG kit, and so on.
Kind alike this one...
http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124285.0

It may be hard to do wit ha stock K but it may be possible no ones tried it yet.

Back