transmission help needed

corderpounder88

hi i am happy to say im a new member and i like this site it rocks.
but the real problem i am having is i just bought this 1990 sc really cheap for 700 bucks dude told me i just had to fix the 2nd gear for the 5 speed my prob is when i put it into 1st its a little hard to put in gear and reverse too unless im rolling when i go to put it into 2nd i cant do it too fast without grinding it on the upshift as far as downshift i cant at all without going to 1st gear first so my question is what do i need to replace to fix this i just replaced my clutch pressure plate and throw out bearring and no luck. Please help :confused:

You may want to try doing a fluid change first to see if that helps, but chances are, at the very least, the trans. synchronizer rings need replacing, or you may need a full rebuild. Use the search feature in the Technical forum to find messages pertaining to this topic, unfortunately it's a fairly common ailment with the M5R2 manual trans in the SC.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

hey there, i used to own a 1989 sc with the five speed and i lost second gear in it too. it sounded exactely like what you are describing. when i checked out prices to fix everything it was way to expensive so i actually found another tranny out of an sc from a wrecker and just swaped, did all the work myself, and i think the total cost only ended up being around $500 bucks.

thanks

Many thanks guys i really appreciate it i was told thats kinda expensive here in cali so i think ill just see if i can find one wrecked first hehe and as a last resort rebuild the old one now i know why i got the car so cheap but as i said before many thanks glad to see so many ppl willing to help peaple out with knowledge!

corderpounder88

90 sc

Back